Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Liverpool bomb

Liverpool bomb

Old Nov 14th 2021, 8:57 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Liverpool bomb

Still waiting to hear what it was all about.
Set off at 10:59 on Remembrance Day hints at something to do with Armistice commemorations, maybe?
But why to a maternity hospital? The taxi driver apparently saw the bomb, locked the passenger in the car, he dived out, the bomb was detonated, he got injured, and she (other sources say a man), the passenger, killed, hoisted by her own petard. Three arrested, but odd at the moment, I suppose we will learn more soon.

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 14th 2021 at 8:59 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 1:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liverpool bomb

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Still waiting to hear what it was all about.
Set off at 10:59 on Remembrance Day hints at something to do with Armistice commemorations, maybe?
But why to a maternity hospital? The taxi driver apparently saw the bomb, locked the passenger in the car, he dived out, the bomb was detonated, he got injured, and she (other sources say a man), the passenger, killed, hoisted by her own petard. Three arrested, but odd at the moment, I suppose we will learn more soon.
Doesn't seem to be any new information yet Kim? The timing does seem suspicious. I'm so glad the bomb didn't make it into the hospital (if that's where it was intended for)
Old Nov 15th 2021, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Reports this morning (but unconfirmed) say that the passenger originally asked to go to the Remembrance Day parade but then changed his mind due to heavy traffic and asked the driver to stop outside the hospital (possibly planning to complete his journey on foot?). The driver spotted something suspicious and jumped out, and locked the passenger inside the vehicle which then exploded. I hope the driver's quick thinking and courage are officially recognised by a bravery award as many casualties were undoubtedly avoided because of his actions.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 12:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post
Reports this morning (but unconfirmed) say that the passenger originally asked to go to the Remembrance Day parade but then changed his mind due to heavy traffic and asked the driver to stop outside the hospital (possibly planning to complete his journey on foot?). The driver spotted something suspicious and jumped out, and locked the passenger inside the vehicle which then exploded. I hope the driver's quick thinking and courage are officially recognised by a bravery award as many casualties were undoubtedly avoided because of his actions.
Bit more from the BBC now Lynn, apparently the terrorist asked to be taken to the Women's Hospital. I agree re. the taxi driver David Perry, what he did was incredibly brave and quick witted. He's been released from hospital, so glad he's relatively ok but I'd imagine the impact on him will be lasting.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-59288929
Old Nov 15th 2021, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it is not a one off, national terror level has been increased.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the video, the bomb went off before the driver got out of the car. The car burst into flame seconds after he got out.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 3:51 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Looking at the video, the bomb went off before the driver got out of the car. The car burst into flame seconds after he got out.
I think, watching it, that the bomb, thank God, did not go off as intended, luckily for the taxi driver and others.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I think, watching it, that the bomb, thank God, did not go off as intended, luckily for the taxi driver and others.
I read that it did not detonate correctly and the perspex screen, between the front and back seats of the taxi, probably helped save the driver.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 11:30 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow, just seen the footage of the explosion. Amazing that the driver survived when you watch it.
Old Nov 16th 2021, 12:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh wow, just seen the footage of the explosion. Amazing that the driver survived when you watch it.
It is…furthermore he survived with just a few cuts and bruises.
Old Nov 16th 2021, 12:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They have named the perpetrator, seems like there was a bomb factory near by.
Old Nov 16th 2021, 7:47 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
It is…furthermore he survived with just a few cuts and bruises.
I just watched it. I was surprised how long elapsed, between initial explosion and the driver exiting. Maybe he was initially in shock or momentarily stunned? And why did the bomb go off when it did? Surely that wasn’t the terrorist’s intention?

Interesting to read that he’d been formally “converted” in a ceremony at Liverpool Cathedral. Was it his intention to walk there? Or was he planning to enter the hospital?
Old Nov 16th 2021, 8:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I just watched it. I was surprised how long elapsed, between initial explosion and the driver exiting. Maybe he was initially in shock or momentarily stunned? And why did the bomb go off when it did? Surely that wasn’t the terrorist’s intention?

Interesting to read that he’d been formally “converted” in a ceremony at Liverpool Cathedral. Was it his intention to walk there? Or was he planning to enter the hospital?
My guess is shock or maybe temporarily knocked partially unconcious, the blast looks pretty severe and being close, I can imagine it might knock someone out momentairly.

Old Nov 16th 2021, 9:41 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Was it really a terrorist attack? Terrorists normally have aims and goals. I think this is more likely just a damaged and disaffected man who flipped. His apparent conversion from Islam to Christianity suggests a propensity for being easily persuaded. A terrible event, luckily no-one else was seriously harmed. But terrorism?
Old Nov 16th 2021, 10:31 am
He/him

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
And why did the bomb go off when it did? Surely that wasn’t the terrorist’s intention?
Liverpool Cathedral. Was it his intention to walk there? Or was he planning to enter the hospital?
My assumption is that the bomber detonated the bomb after being locked inside the car. Maybe the time was a trigger to detonate too. As it got towards 11:00
If he planned to walk to the cathedral, why ask to go to the hospital, rather than getting dropped off on the street.
Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
Was it really a terrorist attack? Terrorists normally have aims and goals. I think this is more likely just a damaged and disaffected man who flipped. His apparent conversion from Islam to Christianity suggests a propensity for being easily persuaded. A terrible event, luckily no-one else was seriously harmed. But terrorism?
Why not both?
A plan to bomb a Rememberance Day event looks like terrorism to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.