Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Legoland Perth

Legoland Perth

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:43 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Legoland Perth

Reading the posts it seems just about everyone that wants to move back to the Uk is living in Legoland Perth, do you think if you moved to a more interesting part of OZ maybe somewhere in the eastern states it would have worked out better.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:22 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Legoland Perth

Funny you should mention this. We were only discussing this matter last night and me and hubby both regret coming here and not going to Melbourne or Brisbane. We both reckon it would probably have worked out much better.
Hindsights a great thing eh

We still may not have stayed forever, but at least I wouldn't have had my views and opinions of Australia so badly tainted by the experience. As it is, I've just got such little enthusiasm to explore any other part of Oz. And that's terrible because it's a huge country.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy View Post
Reading the posts it seems just about everyone that wants to move back to the Uk is living in Legoland Perth, do you think if you moved to a more interesting part of OZ maybe somewhere in the eastern states it would have worked out better.

I wondered the same thing, tried Perth twice and had a nightmare experience. can honestly say though that I would never set foot in Oz again really because of my experience. My son is still there. Have a friend trying the eastern states after a bad time in Perth 3 years ago. be interesting to see how he gets on. Can only try something and get a perspective before making a decision. My job in uk pays 4 times the oz rate so maybe go to bali and meet my son there. Age could also be a factor when migrating eh. I am 46 now, maybe adjusting would be easier 30 years ago.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 5:02 am
"amuse me"

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

There's another thread somewhere on this subject, I'll see if I can find it.

I disagree LPP. From what I have read and people that I am in contact with, more seem to be returning to the UK from Queensland. There are afew from Melbourne who are going and have already gone who post on here and, afew more from NSW as well, but I believe Queensland is pipping Perth to the post.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl View Post
There's another thread somewhere on this subject, I'll see if I can find it.

I disagree LPP. From what I have read and people that I am in contact with, more seem to be returning to the UK from Queensland. There are afew from Melbourne who are going and have already gone who post on here and, afew more from NSW as well, but I believe Queensland is pipping Perth to the post.

I am not surprised about QLD really. We are as far as I can see, at least 20 years behind the times,maybe if your young you can adjust better,it drives me nuts.So perhaps QLD does over take Perth.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Legoland Perth

Originally Posted by TraceyW View Post
Funny you should mention this. We were only discussing this matter last night and me and hubby both regret coming here and not going to Melbourne or Brisbane. We both reckon it would probably have worked out much better.
Hindsights a great thing eh

We still may not have stayed forever, but at least I wouldn't have had my views and opinions of Australia so badly tainted by the experience. As it is, I've just got such little enthusiasm to explore any other part of Oz. And that's terrible because it's a huge country.
I feel the same as you Tracey, we just can't be arsed to go somewhere else to be quite honest. At least we know we like where we are from in the UK, didn't leave because we hated it. To move East would be as big a move as going home and into the unknown. The other thing with us is that one of the major problems here is that we can't afford to go home for holidays on the wages here and although my parents have been over and my brother and a couple of Mark's friends, this won't happen very often and we can't deal with that. Moving to another place in Oz won't change how far away it is from the UK. We also underestimated the ability to take the kids on holiday somewhere only a couple of hours flight away with family orientated hotels with kids clubs adult entertainment (oh er missus!)etc. and it not costing a fortune. Where can we go from here? We don't feel that Bali and Thailand are really holiday destinations to go to with young children and there aren't really any other options. Loads of other reasons including "no old buildings" which is another one I would have scoffed at before we came.

JO
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, I agree with you Jo. Moving over east would be another great adventure, but for me, it would be just delaying the inevitable of going home. My reasons for going home are similar to yours Jo; the family, taking holidays to europe, character buildings and living in a place that has soul and personality.

We will go back to a small house, with no mortgage hopefully. But that will mean anything we earn won't be paying off a sodding mortgage, it will be paying for us to have a bloody life enjoying ourselves and not worrying about bills.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thunderbird65 View Post
I wondered the same thing, tried Perth twice and had a nightmare experience. can honestly say though that I would never set foot in Oz again really because of my experience. My son is still there. Have a friend trying the eastern states after a bad time in Perth 3 years ago. be interesting to see how he gets on. Can only try something and get a perspective before making a decision. My job in uk pays 4 times the oz rate so maybe go to bali and meet my son there. Age could also be a factor when migrating eh. I am 46 now, maybe adjusting would be easier 30 years ago.
It was definitely easier for me 20 years ago, when I came out to Oz by myself and lived in Sydney. I was 32 then! It was a whole different experience. I think age does come into it. I've realised that to try and start over again later on in life, is just a bit too challenging. Especially in one of the most unsociable places in Oz - well at least I think it is!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:44 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

We have just returned from Melbourne and while it is a lovely place we just found that the way of life was so different from what we expected. We found Melbourne city to be great - so many shops, restaurants, sporting venues etc. But the thing is you have to travel into the city to enjoy it. And if you can't afford to live close to the city, you miss out on all it has to offer and end up living an hour or more away in boring suburbia with masses of houses, milk bars and coffee shops During the winter, it's like the UK, everyone hibernates and you don't see a soul, in summer people do venture out jogging, cycling and sipping coffee but try as we might, we didn't find anywhere we could meet people and make friends. I've been back in the UK just over two weeks now and spoken to more new people and had more fun than I did in the year I spent in Melbourne.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

What about the land of the dead, ie Adelaide?

Maybe if we'd gone to Sydney or Melbourne in 91, and not here, my experiences and life and thus view of australia would be very different also. But who knows, now?

And like TraceyW, my negativity regarding this whole place is such that I'm not interested in going elsewhere in the country either. If I can ever afford a holiday, or to save any money, it's for a holiday in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. I don't want to 'waste it' on seeing more of ozzieland. And that's a decade and a half of mindnumbing boredom and isolation talking.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THEGREATIDIOT View Post
What about the land of the dead, ie Adelaide?

Maybe if we'd gone to Sydney or Melbourne in 91, and not here, my experiences and life and thus view of australia would be very different also. But who knows, now?

And like TraceyW, my negativity regarding this whole place is such that I'm not interested in going elsewhere in the country either. If I can ever afford a holiday, or to save any money, it's for a holiday in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. I don't want to 'waste it' on seeing more of ozzieland. And that's a decade and a half of mindnumbing boredom and isolation talking.
I understand how your absolute dislike of being in Adelaide has coloured your opinion about the rest of Oz. I also feel that having been in Perth for a couple of years now, I don't feel motivated to try somewhere else, rather than just go back home. However, I have experienced other places in Oz but that was 20 years ago. Sydney was a good place to live then, and I travelled a lot around Oz too. I do feel that you need to break out of your rut. I don't know your personal situation, or how old you are (not even sure what gender you are), but I do think you owe it to yourself to somehow get out there and have a bit of an adventure. It could really turn things around for you. At least get out of Adelaide and explore the country or try and raise enough money to travel to Europe. Were you born in England?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:40 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Have you ever been to Perth LPP? Perth is like Sydney with similar weather/beaches/outdoor lifestyle, but not the traffic or the hellish, sprawling western style suburbs.

Perth has more class than London, went out tonight in Clapham, went to the movies, finished about 11pm, do you think there was anywhere serving coffee at that hour? No, just boozed up people everywhere. Got home at 11.45. Cafe culture in Britain is non-existant. Ok, rant over.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:12 am
"amuse me"

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver View Post
Have you ever been to Perth LPP? Perth is like Sydney with similar weather/beaches/outdoor lifestyle, but not the traffic or the hellish, sprawling western style suburbs.

Perth has more class than London, went out tonight in Clapham, went to the movies, finished about 11pm, do you think there was anywhere serving coffee at that hour? No, just boozed up people everywhere. Got home at 11.45. Cafe culture in Britain is non-existant. Ok, rant over.
To say that Perth has more 'class' than London is one of the most ridiculous statements I have read for a very long time. You really ought to have got out more during your stay in the UK. Then, you go on to make yet another even more incredulous statement by saying that 'Cafe culture' in Britain is non existent! You are in Clapham for heavens sake. It's like comparing Mirrabooka with Cottesloe.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver View Post

Are we talking about the same Perth where I live
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:17 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl View Post
To say that Perth has more 'class' than London is one of the most ridiculous statements I have read for a very long time. You really ought to have got out more during your stay in the UK. Then, you go on to make yet another even more incredulous statement by saying that 'Cafe culture' in Britain is non existent! You are in Clapham for heavens sake. It's like comparing Mirrabooka with Cottesloe.
I think it's a reference to Perth, Scotland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.