Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Labour on the ropes

Labour on the ropes

Old Jul 20th 2020, 5:54 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Labour on the ropes

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Personalities are one thing, policy another.

One thing's for sure - he won't be facing the same opposition his predecessor did, no matter what he does in terms of exerting control. It's natural that a leader chooses some supportive figures to work with, but that was always painted in very hostile terms when it came to Mr Corbyn, who actually didn't do anywhere near as much as he was accused of in the matter of running a tightly controlled regime. He never tried to oust the opposing voices from their senior positions, for example, or to castigate persistent offenders who damaged the party's chance of exerting influence on Brexit by consistently voting against the party line in tight votes.

But the language used in press reports about the leadership and that side of the party was consistently harsh, loaded and insinuating.
Personalities sell policies, perhaps.
Corbyn was like a magnet for shit in the press. Perhaps because he lacked any sort of personality and his policies were weird in places and his position and the party position on the EU was laughable.
BoJo is a panto clown, entertaining and if you don't listen to what he says (or doesn't say) it must be a chuckle to watch for a while. Tory policy was to get out the EU.
Those two make your point beautifully I think.

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
The Tories have been consistently 5-7 points ahead of Labour over the last two months which is pretty remarkable given everything that’s being going on. The double digit lead disappeared during the Cummings fiasco but has remained fairly constant since then.
I think they'll stay that way for a while too. BoJo seems to have this wartime leadership mentality. It's not long before we talk of our 'darkest hour' in Covid-19. He'll be battered rightly for the government's response to a lot of this and probably come out of it with a bit of good feeling and pleasantries for 'getting us through it', maybe.

Odds on next election as it stands;
No majority 13/10
Cons majority 2/1
Labour majority 5/2
Lib Dem majority (lol) 66/1
Old Jul 20th 2020, 2:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I think they'll stay that way for a while too. BoJo seems to have this wartime leadership mentality. It's not long before we talk of our 'darkest hour' in Covid-19. He'll be battered rightly for the government's response to a lot of this and probably come out of it with a bit of good feeling and pleasantries for 'getting us through it', maybe.

Odds on next election as it stands;
No majority 13/10
Cons majority 2/1
Labour majority 5/2
Lib Dem majority (lol) 66/1
That sounds about right. A week is a long time in politics and we’ve got four years to go until the next election. As such Boris is more likely to be judged on his ability to reboot the economy post-pandemic/Brexit than the rather muddled approach to COVID-19.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds about right. A week is a long time in politics and we’ve got four years to go until the next election. As such Boris is more likely to be judged on his ability to reboot the economy post-pandemic/Brexit than the rather muddled approach to COVID-19.
I agree. That and re-uniting the nation - which copped a battering during the post referendum chaos.

Last edited by paulry; Jul 20th 2020 at 3:39 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
It's not a million miles different to what is happening across the pond.
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Good point actually. We often copy those ****wits don't we.
The anti-democratic bunch are the same the world over and they're certainly in lock step between the UK and the US right now - though the US definately takes the biscuit. Actually there are a lot of countries around the world that are currently engaged in similar fights but the right side is winning in nearly all of them.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 5:18 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Good stuff - Keir grows on me every day.

Looks like many agree with me too.
I just love his name I'd vote for a 'Star' right now.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 12:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It may just be damage control but the more I see, the more I’m impressed.

Anti-Semitism: Labour pays damages for 'hurt' to whistleblowers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53489611
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Clearly they're trying to shake off their anti-Semitic infamy. But they'll have to do a lot more than that to make themselves electable again.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Clearly they're trying to shake off their anti-Semitic infamy. But they'll have to do a lot more than that to make themselves electable again.
I’ll settle for a functional Opposition.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Are we accepting apologies from Labour supporters on this site
Old Jul 26th 2020, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 26th 2020, 9:24 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds about right. A week is a long time in politics and we’ve got four years to go until the next election.
I don't think it's ever wise to assume when it comes to the timing of UK elections.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
I don't think it's ever wise to assume when it comes to the timing of UK elections.
With a 80 seat majority I think it’s a fairly safe assumption to make.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 9:30 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we'll see. You're probably right but the next 5 years were going to look turbulent enough in the UK already before this little gift from China reared its head and caused near record levels of unemployment and social and economic devastation.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 9:35 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Very true....

...but this is undeniable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.