Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Labour on the ropes

Labour on the ropes

Old May 7th 2020, 3:52 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Labour on the ropes

Originally Posted by MartynK View Post
The British electorate are fickle, and most governments reach their sell by date sooner or later. Labour will be back in office at some point, either on their own or as part of a coalition.
I'm afraid you're quite right.
Choose a bunch of monkeys, call them the Labour Party in opposition, and given time they'll be voted in.
That's why the last Labour government fell foul, you simply can't hide the fact that monkeys are monkeys.

Old May 22nd 2020, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
I agree. It'll be interesting to see how things unfold over the next couple of years - maintenance of self interest wise, because I reckon a lot of self interests are going to be rocked to the core with the combined independence from the EU and the likely global economic de-coupling from China that looks certain to occur at the same time.
Sir Kier is obviously a credible individual who passes the fundamental "could they be PM" test. As Nick Watt said on Newsnight the other night though, he needs to make sure he doesn't come over too "lawyery" and smart arse after the event nit picking. That said I've always thought that BJ is totally unsuitable as PM, any PM from the last 30 years would be preferable.
Old May 22nd 2020, 7:35 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf View Post
Sir Kier is obviously a credible individual who passes the fundamental "could they be PM" test. As Nick Watt said on Newsnight the other night though, he needs to make sure he doesn't come over too "lawyery" and smart arse after the event nit picking. That said I've always thought that BJ is totally unsuitable as PM, any PM from the last 30 years would be preferable.
But Moggy is using the virus to pack the commons with support for Boris and deprive Starmer of his own.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I see they're eating their own now.

Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:08 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I see they're eating their own now.

https://youtu.be/sAhSR5l3CZk
I presume you mean they are taking immediate action against someone who appears to have done wrong ...... just like Boris doesn't.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I presume you mean they are taking immediate action against someone who appears to have done wrong ...... just like Boris doesn't.
Do you think she did wrong?
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:32 pm
Devourer of Haribo

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think she did wrong?
Her party leader believes she did, and her party leader signed up to the JBoD definition of anti-Semitism in which any criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic.
So Starmer has to sack her or lose the backing of the JBoD.

Is what was said factually correct? It appears so...
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:47 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Her party leader believes she did, and her party leader signed up to the JBoD definition of anti-Semitism in which any criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic.

Actually, it appears not - Maxine Peake has said that she was 'inaccurate in my assumption of American Police training & its sources'.

Regardless, she refused to withdraw her support for the article containing the statement, tried to face down Starmer and lost.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post

It's an interesting one because we really don't know whether or not it is factually correct. And while I am very much a supporter of the state of Israel, I think for groups to alter definitions without wide consultation and agreement is problematic.

As for the sacking itself - it would have been better to have drawn her attention to the offending text and asked her to withdraw it/set that aside. Far too reactive, IMO, though there could be lots of other things going on behind the scenes and this could have been an opportunity that was just too good to miss. On the other hand it does look like yet another example of the emotional incontinence that has been sweeping the western world of late.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it appears not - Maxine Peake has said that she was 'inaccurate in my assumption of American Police training & its sources'.

Regardless, she refused to withdraw her support for the article containing the statement, tried to face down Starmer and lost.
And Starmer is no fool. I expect he was waiting for the first opportunity to reduce Long Bailey's power and that of Labour sub-factions that don't support him. It's the act of a party leader consolidating power. Long Bailey gave him an opening, and he's far too clever to pass that up.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:55 pm
Resident Cynic

It's an interesting one because we really don't know whether or not it is factually correct. And while I am very much a supporter of the state of Israel, I think for groups to alter definitions without wide consultation and agreement is problematic.

As for the sacking itself - it would have been better to have drawn her attention to the offending text and asked her to withdraw it/set that aside. Far too reactive, IMO, though there could be lots of other things going on behind the scenes and this could have been an opportunity that was just too good to miss. On the other hand it does look like yet another example of the emotional incontinence that has been sweeping the western world of late.
She was asked to withdraw it and refused ..... read the reports, not just the headlines.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

She was asked to withdraw it and refused ..... read the reports, not just the headlines.

Or just the bitchute videos.....
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:09 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
And Starmer is no fool. I expect he was waiting for the first opportunity to reduce Long Bailey's power and that of Labour sub-factions that don't support him. It's the act of a party leader consolidating power. Long Bailey gave him an opening, and he's far too clever to pass that up.
I think that's the nub of it.

It's been no secret that a clear-out was waiting in the wings. Notice the rather eery silence from quarters previously howling about the iron grip allegedly exerted by the previous leader.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I think that's the nub of it.

It's been no secret that a clear-out was waiting in the wings. Notice the rather eery silence from quarters previously howling about the iron grip allegedly exerted by the previous leader.
Don't look at me I rather liked Corbyn.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She asked to speak with him but too late he'd already fired her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.