Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Labour on the fence

Labour on the fence

Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:24 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Labour on the fence

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Ok, cool. I'll have to reformulate my perception of your political persuasion. I've always thought you were hard Left because of your avatar.
No, it's not because of the avatar.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
No, it's not because of the avatar.

Old Sep 19th 2019, 3:00 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. Good point.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 3:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm never sure whether the fair Laura Kunnesberg is biased towards the Tories or Labour. She was said to have the stick in for May, and now she's been taken to task for describing the protester. Regardless, I think she's a top gal.
She, along with the vast majority of BBC reporters is certainly biased towards the Tories, you only have to look at what is being reported to see that, and the way that Tory MPs do NOT get questionad as hard as Labour ones, and there was a case some months ago when Fiona Bruce was taken to task for making a joke about Dianne Abbot before BBC QT, not broadcast, but a good many of the audience were very upset, initially the BBC denied it had happened, but later had to backtrack and issue an apology.. If you look at the line up of the pannel for QT, then there most of the panel are either right wing or centrist. Nigel Farage has more appearances on QT than almost any other politician, it was true even before the Brexit party, when he was leader of a party with NO MPs he still is but is a regularon such programmes still. His Brexit party has only two policies, Leave the EU at any cost, and get rid of inheritance tax, which will only help the rich.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 3:46 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
She, along with the vast majority of BBC reporters is certainly biased towards the Tories, you only have to look at what is being reported to see that, and the way that Tory MPs do NOT get questionad as hard as Labour ones, and there was a case some months ago when Fiona Bruce was taken to task for making a joke about Dianne Abbot before BBC QT, not broadcast, but a good many of the audience were very upset, initially the BBC denied it had happened, but later had to backtrack and issue an apology.. If you look at the line up of the pannel for QT, then there most of the panel are either right wing or centrist. Nigel Farage has more appearances on QT than almost any other politician, it was true even before the Brexit party, when he was leader of a party with NO MPs he still is but is a regularon such programmes still. His Brexit party has only two policies, Leave the EU at any cost, and get rid of inheritance tax, which will only help the rich.
I don't find the BBC is biased at all. If they were, given that they are media luvvies, I would expect it to be biased toward Labour. I remember the Abbott incident, I think that was a one off, probably brought about because Dianne is just so damn annoying. Farage is wheeled on because he's the pantomime villain and good for ratings. QT would be gone long ago if it weren't for the character politicians.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 4:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find the BBC is biased at all. If they were, given that they are media luvvies, I would expect it to be biased toward Labour. I remember the Abbott incident, I think that was a one off, probably brought about because Dianne is just so damn annoying. Farage is wheeled on because he's the pantomime villain and good for ratings. QT would be gone long ago if it weren't for the character politicians.
Biased isn't the word I'd choose, but I find their news programmes content to be evidence that they are sh*t scared of annoying the Tory government(s). It's become so flaccid that I no longer watch the BBC News and prefer Channel 4 for balance, initiative and accuracy. I do however listen to BBC World Service on my trusty long wave radio.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Biased isn't the word I'd choose, but I find their news programmes content to be evidence that they are sh*t scared of annoying the Tory government(s). It's become so flaccid that I no longer watch the BBC News and prefer Channel 4 for balance, initiative and accuracy. I do however listen to BBC World Service on my trusty long wave radio.
What has happened to Faisal Islam? He was supposed to join the BBC news this summer, was replaced on leaving Sky News by Beth Rigby. I find both of them good.

Old Sep 19th 2019, 4:38 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I remember all the accusations about BBC 'left wing' bias in the 80s. On the one hand it was simply a case of challenging government or the establishment which happened to be pretty right wing. It was similar to satire targetting authority or government, of whichever variety it was.

At the same time, it seemed virtually all the governors back then had stood or were about to stand as candidates for the Conservative, although I vaguely recall someone with SDP connections.

But it's worth noting there are two faces of BBC we see when it comes to accusations of left/right bias. There are the newsreaders/presenters/interviewers and then there are the writers/producers/presenters of things like the investigative Panorama.

Investigations of government will make it 'fair' or 50/50. But in the last 40 years, the UK has been governed by Conservatives for 27 as against 13. It follows that investigation into government or 'political' matters of Conservatives would be double that of Labour.

Add in that other domestic investigations - unless something related to police for example - will likely involve financial scandals relating to people like Sir Philip Greed, Mike Ashley, Aaron Banks etc and you can see that someone subject to such a probe is more likely to be on the right of the political spectrum than the left. The last one not of the right would likely have involved Robert Maxwell and he's not someone you'd think of as a lefty rabble rouser.

Old Sep 19th 2019, 4:49 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
I'm a big C4 News watcher too, but I certainly wouldn't attribute 'balance' amongst their many attributes. Long wave radio !?! Are you trying to outdo Mr Rees-Mogg !
Old Sep 19th 2019, 4:49 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
What has happened to Faisal Islam? He was supposed to join the BBC news this summer, was replaced on leaving Sky News by Beth Rigby. I find both of them good.
Faisal is on BBC now. I've seen him.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 9:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big C4 News watcher too, but I certainly wouldn't attribute 'balance' amongst their many attributes. Long wave radio !?! Are you trying to outdo Mr Rees-Mogg !
LW reception for BBC World is available at my home in France.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

It seems Momentum, scared of Corbyn losing yet another election to the Tories in shambles which should be the end of Corbyn, are getting ready to get rid of the position of deputy leader.
They obviously don't like Watson ...
Good to see they concentrate on organizing for a GE during their conference !
Old Sep 20th 2019, 10:47 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
It seems Momentum, scared of Corbyn losing yet another election to the Tories in shambles which should be the end of Corbyn, are getting ready to get rid of the position of deputy leader.

FFS. Before an election is not the moment to increase dissension in opposition parties.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49776100

People need to be focused on getting the private club currently using No 10 out of office.
Old Sep 21st 2019, 8:34 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
People need to be focused on getting the private club currently using No 10 out of office.
The Cavalry's beginning to wake up :
...people in unexpected places are starting to consider a Corbyn government less risky than the alternatives. Earlier this month, Oliver Harvey, an analyst for Deutsche Bank in the City of London, told the Telegraph: “We see the magnitude of economic damage caused by a no-deal Brexit as much higher than [that caused by] policies proposed in the last Labour manifesto.” In the same article, Christian Schulz, an analyst for Citibank, noted approvingly that “Labour has become more decisively pro-EU”, while “a fiscally profligate no-deal Conservative government” had become less “enticing”.

Off the record, other senior people in the City tell me they find the shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, who has been circulating among them busily in recent months, a serious and intriguing figure: a supposed Marxist who looks, and sometimes talks, a bit like a bank manager.

A similar thaw is under way in the more thoughtful parts of the business press. With western capitalism having a crisis of confidence, at the very least – this week the Financial Times announced “Capitalism: time for a reset” – Labour’s radical economic alternatives have begun to look more reasonable to some business journalists. The Economist, despite its longstanding support for the Thatcherite free-market reforms that McDonnell would like to reverse, has been covering the development of Labour’s new economic thinking with intense curiosity since 2017. This month, the more cautious, centrist FT has published a succession of long articles about “Labour’s new establishment” and its ambitions for Britain. While the pieces were still spiked with criticisms, the scale of the coverage has suggested a degree of respect – and that corporate Britain needs to understand Corbynism, and be prepared to make some accommodations with it.
Even bankers are starting to think Corbyn might be the safe choice now

Old Sep 21st 2019, 9:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
There are lot of Labour members who want rid of Watson as well, he either goes missing for a few weeks at important times, or he spends his time undermining Jeremy. Jeremy will not criticise him in public as that isn't his way, but it's well known that many activists have been working for months to get him gone. He got reselected by his local party be deception, there was an inportant meeting which clashed with something else, Watson supporters said they were gpoing to the other meeting so his opponents went as well, inmstead they went to the selection meeting and voted him back in.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.