Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Labour on the fence

Labour on the fence

Old Sep 19th 2019, 10:45 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Labour on the fence

I think Andrew Neil could very likely manufacture an incredulity apoplexy over pretty much anything, although it's probably even more realistic if it's over something related to the current Labour Party, Corbyn in particular or anything not wholeheartedly pro-Brexit.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 10:45 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
We should already know what he thinks, seeing as he's told the entire world. You'd have thought, in an age where a single badly-worded pronouncement can lurk around forever to haunt and possibly destroy, that recent-ish statements would be more prominent in peoples' minds. Here's a reminder :

Corbyn: I'm 'seven out of 10' on EU (June 2016)

Jeremy Corbyn says he would vote remain in a second EU referendum (October 2017)

However, given that everything he says is liable to misinterpretation and deliberate distortion, perhaps he's decided the wisest thing is to let the party officially campaign to remain while he himself keeps schtum. He is, after all, merely the leader and not by any means the sole arbiter of policy even though he's often portrayed as such. I imagine he can foresee only too well the line that would be taken if he was at the helm during a negotiation for something he later personally recommended rejecting

Labour's come a long, long way. They've now conceded to pretty much all of the early calls for the matter to be returned to the public prior to the implementation of anything and are now in a position behind which all the parties unequivocally opposed to Brexit can unite, without abandoning those who want to leave but don't want the dirty bomb Brexit or May's disastrous agreement.
I think 7/10 and being hypothetical only just adds to the murkiness of his position and that of Labour.

Cons wants to leave.
Lib Dems have said they'll try and remain.
Labour and Corbyn are 70% interested in staying, hypothetically would vote remain but ultimately know we need to leave.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 10:48 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think Andrew Neil could very likely manufacture an incredulity apoplexy over pretty much anything, although it's probably even more realistic if it's over something related to the current Labour Party, Corbyn in particular or anything not wholeheartedly pro-Brexit.
So you, as Labour guy, honestly think this is a pretty good stance to take?
Old Sep 19th 2019, 11:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC in all it's forms jhas had a eal bashing over the last 24 hours after a tweet by Laura KAussenberg about the man who had watind for hours on a children's ard at whipps Cross hospital for a doctor to see his very ill 7 day old daughter because there was only on registrar on dute for the childrens; ward and neonatal unei. Johnson was visiting the hospital and was taken to the kids ward, this man faced him and told him of the problems on the ward and what had befallen his daughter, hospital managers tried to intervene, but johnson put his foot in it by telling the man there were no press there and it wan't a photo op, this despite the TV cameras filming what was going on. The film made twitter and the BBC, but what was focussed on was the fact that,he was a 'labour party activist' Kuessenberg focussed on this and said to all her followers, 'This is the man' inviting the inevitable pile on. She later deleted the tweet, but you know that once it's out there it wll keep coming back to haunt you' there have been calls for her to be sacked, and the BBC has had to offer an apology and defend her. It just shows the Tory bias present within the BBC as other presenters have also been defending her.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 12:44 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm never sure whether the fair Laura Kunnesberg is biased towards the Tories or Labour. She was said to have the stick in for May, and now she's been taken to task for describing the protester. Regardless, I think she's a top gal.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 12:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
The BBC in all it's forms jhas had a eal bashing over the last 24 hours after a tweet by Laura KAussenberg about the man who had watind for hours on a children's ard at whipps Cross hospital for a doctor to see his very ill 7 day old daughter because there was only on registrar on dute for the childrens; ward and neonatal unei. Johnson was visiting the hospital and was taken to the kids ward, this man faced him and told him of the problems on the ward and what had befallen his daughter, hospital managers tried to intervene, but johnson put his foot in it by telling the man there were no press there and it wan't a photo op, this despite the TV cameras filming what was going on. The film made twitter and the BBC, but what was focussed on was the fact that,he was a 'labour party activist' Kuessenberg focussed on this and said to all her followers, 'This is the man' inviting the inevitable pile on. She later deleted the tweet, but you know that once it's out there it wll keep coming back to haunt you' there have been calls for her to be sacked, and the BBC has had to offer an apology and defend her. It just shows the Tory bias present within the BBC as other presenters have also been defending her.
Well, yeah, a Labour activist, what do you expect. He probably got his daughter ill on purpose just so that he could confront Johnson. It's not surprising that BE discussions are the way they are when the whole country seems to be reduced to this clannish behaviour. I honestly don't know how long it will take to fix this, or even what it will take, but a new and competent government with a proper social agenda to mitigate the inequalities in the UK would be a start.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 1:39 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I think 7/10 and being hypothetical only just adds to the murkiness of his position and that of Labour.

Cons wants to leave.
Lib Dems have said they'll try and remain.
Labour and Corbyn are 70% interested in staying, hypothetically would vote remain but ultimately know we need to leave.
On the contrary, as far as I'm concerned. I only brought those quotes up because they show that as far as his personal opinions go, Corbyn has been absolutely clear and unequivocal and that his own assessment of his enthusiasm for the EU is probably not a great deal astray of what many another remainer would mark themselves. And because his personal views were the specific topic of a question.

75/25 or 70/30 would have counted as a thumping victory in any referendum so let's not be too keen to promote that as lukewarm, nor to present it as Labour's position when it was actually made perfectly clear that it was a personal opinion. It was under somewhat different circumstances but he wasn't even then trying to score any political points, merely giving what I see as a straight and honest opinion to direct questions (something others were declining to do at that time, so all credit to him considering the continual fire he was being subjected to).
Old Sep 19th 2019, 1:50 pm
Who - me?

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
So you, as Labour guy, honestly think this is a pretty good stance to take?
Labour guy?

I don't know what gives you that impression. I've never been a party member and if they checked my voting record they'd not be rejoicing. To whom I give my vote very much depends who's touting what and how I see the purpose of it on each occasion. Last time round in May, for example, I didn't vote Labour.

Yes, I do think that under the current circumstances, the Labour stance is a satisfactory one for the time being. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of the conference.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 1:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Labour guy?

Sounds like one of those mascots in a giant costume in a parade

Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:05 pm
F.orum Ape

Labour guy?

I don't know what gives you that impression. I've never been a party member and if they checked my voting record they'd not be rejoicing. To whom I give my vote very much depends who's touting what and how I see the purpose of it on each occasion. Last time round in May, for example, I didn't vote Labour.

Yes, I do think that under the current circumstances, the Labour stance is a satisfactory one for the time being. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of the conference.
I assumed the Red in Red Eric referenced Labour...?
Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:08 pm

I assumed the Red in Red Eric referenced Labour...?

I always thought it was this guy.

Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:12 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I always thought it was this guy.

Ah ha. Could be. I saw that red flower as a Labour rose, but perhaps it's a poppy.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:15 pm

Ah ha. Could be. I saw that red flower as a Labour rose, but perhaps it's a poppy.

I think it's a carnation.

Our Eric must be a suave man about town.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:15 pm
Who - me?

It's the barnet. The name's recycled from long ago - one of the more repeatable variations on a theme.

And yes, it's a carnation, symbol of the Portuguese Revolution of April 25th 1974.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:22 pm
F.orum Ape

It's the barnet. The name's recycled from long ago - one of the more repeatable variations on a theme.

And yes, it's a carnation, symbol of the Portuguese Revolution of April 25th 1974.
Ok, cool. I'll have to reformulate my perception of your political persuasion. I've always thought you were hard Left because of your avatar.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.