Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Knighthood for Nigel Farage?

View Poll Results: A reward for Nigel Farage
Knighthood asap
13.51%
Knighthood within 20 years
2.70%
Nothing
48.65%
Prison sentence
35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Knighthood for Nigel Farage?

Old Feb 15th 2021, 5:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knighthood for Nigel Farage?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Exactly.

""I don't resent it as it is for the benefit of the whole of society"
There is a rule on this site about not changing someone's quote in a way that changes what they said. Some time ago I raised the issue about when someone actually misrepresents what another person has says.

That's happening here isn't it. One poster very clearly said he doesn't resent something and kjmw is repeatedly insisting they do having been given the opportunity to backtrack.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 5:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
There is a rule on this site about not changing someone's quote in a way that changes what they said. Some time ago I raised the issue about when someone actually misrepresents what another person has says.

That's happening here isn't it. One poster very clearly said he doesn't resent something and kjmw is repeatedly insisting they do having been given the opportunity to backtrack.

It's strange. It's a short and very clear sentence that he seems to not understand.

I keep wondering if maybe I've had a stroke or something, or I think I'm posting but I'm really not
Old Feb 15th 2021, 5:34 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

So let's get back to the topic of Farage and knighthoods.
Farage, like him or not, led a popular movement that achieved something. It might be controversial but who can argue that it was successful.
Isn't this a better use of the award system than dishing out knighthoods to senior civil servants who do nothing but occupy a space in a building vacated by a previous waste of space?
If any of these 'valuable' civil servants dropped dead, would it generate even the slightest ripple in Whitehall where there are so many more 'wastes of space' clammer to throw out the body?
And, of course once you open this particular can of worms you have to start considering the so called 'honours' shovelled out to the various royals whose only claim to fame is either being born or knowing someone whose born.
Farage might be loathed by many but I'd argue that he, at least, earned it.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 6:44 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 15th 2021, 6:50 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
...Farage might be loathed by many but I'd argue that he, at least, earned it.
I agree, he has certainly earned my loathing.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 6:54 pm
EU and me, happy together

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

So let's get back to the topic of Farage and knighthoods.
Farage, like him or not, led a popular movement that achieved something. It might be controversial but who can argue that it was successful.
Isn't this a better use of the award system than dishing out knighthoods to senior civil servants who do nothing but occupy a space in a building vacated by a previous waste of space?
If any of these 'valuable' civil servants dropped dead, would it generate even the slightest ripple in Whitehall where there are so many more 'wastes of space' clammer to throw out the body?
And, of course once you open this particular can of worms you have to start considering the so called 'honours' shovelled out to the various royals whose only claim to fame is either being born or knowing someone whose born.
Farage might be loathed by many but I'd argue that he, at least, earned it.
Did he?

He led a party that lied about the effect EU regulations have on the UK.
He was the UK representative on the EU Fisheries Committee but attended 1 meeting out of 42, yet made a big deal about how the EU isn't helping the UK fishing industry. And Brexit has done more harm to the UK fishing industry than the EU could have ever done, and he's nowhere to be seen unless your watching one of his wealth management ads on YouTube.
He's no better than a snake-oil salesman or a con-man, who'll tell people want they want to hear before disappearing after he's taken everything they have.

And it was the Tory ERG who got the referendum, the same ERG behind many of the Leave groups, and the same ERG members who stood to make millions from Brexit. The ERG led Brexit, voted against May's deal, who made sure Boris's 'oven-ready deal' didn't get it's cooking instructions read by Parliament, and who pushed Boris into waiting til the last minute before making a deal that Parliament also didn't have time to scrutinise..

If Farage deserves a knighthood, he'll just be another HoL member who barely turns up, collects his money, and sows division.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

If Raab says no Brexit benefits for 10 years then no knightood for 10 years.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 8:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What if I were to re-write that part of your post.
Isn't this a better use of the award system than dishing out knighthoods to fund raisers, or people in caring professions who do nothing but occupy a space in a building vacated by a previous waste of space?
If any of these 'valuable' people like Captain Tom dropped dead, would it generate even the slightest ripple when there are so many more 'wastes of space' clammering to throw out the body?
See, you've just gone for a cheap shot on one aspect of the system when there are other good parts to it.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

EnglishRed is an unknown quantity at this point

Two things.

I don't resent paying tax for other peoples children to go to school, the same way that I don't resent paying tax for the health service when I rarely used it while others were in hospital for weeks/months. It is a contribution to the greater good so not a problem.

As far as a knighthood for Farage, and anybody else for that matter, it is an anachronistic awarded system that should be abolished along with peerages,and the the monarchy.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 11:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
Two things.

I don't resent paying tax for other peoples children to go to school, the same way that I don't resent paying tax for the health service when I rarely used it while others were in hospital for weeks/months. It is a contribution to the greater good so not a problem.

As far as a knighthood for Farage, and anybody else for that matter, it is an anachronistic awarded system that should be abolished along with peerages,and the the monarchy.

Old Feb 16th 2021, 12:56 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Two things.

As far as your first sentence goes, everybody except K thingummy understood that

On the second, yes, they are all ideas whose time has gone.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:07 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
What if I were to re-write that part of your post.
See, you've just gone for a cheap shot on one aspect of the system when there are other good parts to it.
I don't think I disagree with anything you put, I merely compare Farage with less deserving recipients of 'honours'.
As for the 'cheap shot' jibe, like most if not all of my posts, I state what I want to say. If that leaves me open to 'cheap shots' for omission then so be it.
I don't as a rule expect, or try, to change other's opinions, I recognise that that would be a complete waste of time and effort.

Old Feb 16th 2021, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
If Raab says no Brexit benefits for 10 years then no knighthood for 10 years.
does this mean we are back in the EU in 10 years time, when leave has not shown significant benefits
Old Feb 16th 2021, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Two things.

I agree, providing political parasites don't use rapacious taxes to 'punish' people who are 'wealthy' because of envy, or to curry favour with their support base.

Yes, I agree with this too.There's probably no harm in letting existing hereditary peerages remain in place until they die out naturally, but the House of Lords has to go. It's debatable whether this country needs an Upper Chamber at all, but it should be reduced to no more than 100 elected seats if it's retained.

I've been republican since I was growing up, so no issue with abolishing the monarchy. The sooner the better...
Old Feb 16th 2021, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the US model is better than ours with 2 elected houses and voting every 2 years. It seemed to cope with Trump. I would have a president with powers more like Italy than the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.