Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Knighthood for Nigel Farage?

View Poll Results: A reward for Nigel Farage
Knighthood asap
13.51%
Knighthood within 20 years
2.70%
Nothing
48.65%
Prison sentence
35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Knighthood for Nigel Farage?

Old Jan 1st 2021, 7:43 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knighthood for Nigel Farage?

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
According to the Telegraph Ladbrookes think Farage will be getting a knighthood pretty soon. Personally I wouldn't be in a rush to reward him. His MEP pension is reward enough.
He actually should give back his MEP pension since he hardly ever was in Brussels.
Further he's just an irrelevant person.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

At least he can celebrate Brexit. I wonder if that is EU wine? He doesnt waste money on books.

Last edited by philat98; Jan 1st 2021 at 10:01 am.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 10:03 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

This picture should really be hidden (spoiler) and come with a warning.
Off to rince out my eyes ....
Old Jan 1st 2021, 11:16 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
He actually should give back his MEP pension since he hardly ever was in Brussels.
Further he's just an irrelevant person.
Indeed. The UK at its best? I think not.

Nasty little man appealing to people's worst instincts while drawing a fat salary for no work.

Remember his bigotted fake invasion? Off to obscurity with him.

Old Jan 1st 2021, 11:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
Remember Thatcher and her poll tax?
Remember the protests in Trafalgar Square?
Ever thought to ask yourself why it didn't catch on?
Could it have been because it was a stupid idea, thought up by stupid politicians that the people didn't want?
Yes, I remember.

Now consider Farage and his UKIP party. Ever thought to ask yourself why it didn't die out? Why it smouldered and smouldered until it caught fire?
I wouldn't necessarily describe it as catching fire. 37% of the electorate with many of those having since regretted it? Where were the poll tax riots equivalents?

That aside, the two things you're comparing have major differences. When the government made their reasons for the change from the old rates system known and with all the associated statements about how fair it was, when the bills started landing on the doormats and 73 year old Elsie across the street was in court and then prison for non payment, 'the people' could immediately see they'd been misled.

The current 'enthusiasm' - if it really does exist - continues to be based on false information. Even now we keep seeing lies repeated like how the UK was able to speed up getting vaccines ahead of the EU when the same rules still applied to the UK and the same rule the UK used could have been used by any of the EU countries. People are still falsely making the claim that "Brussels" blocked it all and there's no equivalent of the poll tax bill landing on the doormat to contradict the misinformation.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 1:08 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
Remember Thatcher and her poll tax?
Remember the protests in Trafalgar Square?
Ever thought to ask yourself why it didn't catch on?
Could it have been because it was a stupid idea, thought up by stupid politicians that the people didn't want?
The Poll Tax, for me, was a good idea, poorly executed. My next-door neighbour had five adults living in the house and paid the same rates I did for the same size house. The Poll Tax brought in a per person element.

Now consider Farage and his UKIP party.
Ever thought to ask yourself why it didn't die out? Why it smouldered and smouldered until it caught fire?
Few paid serious attention to Farage before the east European A8 countries joined the EU, and the UK was only one of three EU countries to grant A8 nationals immediate free movement.

Could it have been because Farage was pushing at an unlocked door but one being held shut by an establishment boot worn by these same stupid politicians?
Like him or loath him, Farage appealed to a great many and achieved something that many don't like, but he did it using constitutional means and the ballot box.
Farage got where he did by telling people what they wanted to hear, that someone else was to blame for their problems. But instead of being yet another small voice in a big pond opposing the government of the day, he blamed the EU, who were the only ones actually putting money into UK areas in decline due to government policies of the 80's and 90's.

Had the government spent as much time and effort in schools showing how the EEC then EU worked to benefit UK nationals as they did trying to recruit soldiers straight from school, maybe people would have had a different mindset.

I wonder if in years to come UKIP will be remembered as a latter day Anti Corn Law League, a movement aimed at repealing the hated Corn Laws that some see as a decisive shift toward free trade in Britain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_Laws
I doubt it. UKIP was pretty much forgotten as soon as Farage ditched them to form The Brexit Party, which he then used that to fleece prospective election candidates of £600 each then refused to let most of them to stand so he didn't split the Tory votes and allow Labour to win. This is part of why the Tories have an 80-seat majority.

Did those candidates ever get their money back?

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Nice to read something that isn't full of poison! I doubt your post will be well received! As for me, I'm neutral as to should he be honoured or not. I'm just completely happy that we are out of the E.U. A great start to the year for me and I do get a kick out of the 'remoaners' moaning. All these anti Farage posts sum it up really!
I'm not sure what you've read you consider as poison.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not specifically anti-Farage, I'm anti-lying, anti-racism, and anti-corruption. And in the latter respect, not only Farage fleece prospective BP candidates, he also had to pat £35,000 of EU funds back that he'd paid an assistant who wasn't working on EU matters. Other UKIP MEPs had to pay other sums, including one who employed Farage's then-wife. Nigel Farage among Ukip MEPs accused of misusing EU funds

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That aside, the two things you're comparing have major differences. When the government made their reasons for the change from the old rates system known and with all the associated statements about how fair it was, when the bills started landing on the doormats and 73 year old Elsie across the street was in court and then prison for non payment, 'the people' could immediately see they'd been misled.
That's a very good summary.

The current 'enthusiasm' - if it really does exist - continues to be based on false information. Even now we keep seeing lies repeated like how the UK was able to speed up getting vaccines ahead of the EU when the same rules still applied to the UK and the same rule the UK used could have been used by any of the EU countries. People are still falsely making the claim that "Brussels" blocked it all and there's no equivalent of the poll tax bill landing on the doormat to contradict the misinformation.
The fallout from Brexit is going to take at least 2-3 months to start being really felt. And it'll still be blamed on Remainers.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 1:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
The Poll Tax, for me, was a good idea, poorly executed. My next-door neighbour had five adults living in the house and paid the same rates I did for the same size house. The Poll Tax brought in a per person element.
It was certainly a difficult one. I lived alone while others in the same street had maybe 2 to 4 people who may have been working.

They could have used the library 4 times as much as me. Or maybe they produced 4 times as much garbage but since the truck had to pass along the street every week anyway, it probably didn't cost 4 times as much to collect their rubbish as mine.

But perhaps the most important thing was I never had to wait for the bog or bathroom to become free
Old Jan 1st 2021, 2:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It was certainly a difficult one. I lived alone while others in the same street had maybe 2 to 4 people who may have been working.

They could have used the library 4 times as much as me. Or maybe they produced 4 times as much garbage but since the truck had to pass along the street every week anyway, it probably didn't cost 4 times as much to collect their rubbish as mine.

But perhaps the most important thing was I never had to wait for the bog or bathroom to become free

The problem with the poll tax was, like all flat taxes, it was regressive. It represented a far larger burden on those with less income than on those with more.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 4:12 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Back then, we were probably producing a black bag of rubbish per adult, per two weeks. And yes, the garbage truck would have been passing, by for everyone else who only put out a bag or two, why should I pay the same for my two bags as they do for 4 or 5?

And living alone, yeah, no queue for the bathroom, but I was the only guy in a house with my wife and two children. There was a queue.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The problem with the poll tax was, like all flat taxes, it was regressive. It represented a far larger burden on those with less income than on those with more.
I don't think rates or the Poll Tax were designed to take income into account, other than benefits. But it should definitely have been better linked to income via HMRC.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 5:04 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned the Poll Tax as an example of a stupid idea but one that should never have got past the "I've got a great idea" stage highlighting the lack of common sense existing within the political arena.
The major issue was that it was people based and people, unlike buildings, tend to move around making implementation difficult.
An interesting summary of the issues is here. https://mwmblog.com/2019/06/03/marga...-the-poll-tax/ and concludes that in the end it was Thatcher's blinkered approach to replacing the Rates that resulted in her leaving office. Interestingly it also contains a postscript commenting on Cameron's approach to the referendum stating that he should have learned from Thatcher's failure.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 6:50 am
Just Joined

EnglishRed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Back then, we were probably producing a black bag of rubbish per adult, per two weeks. And yes, the garbage truck would have been passing, by for everyone else who only put out a bag or two, why should I pay the same for my two bags as they do for 4 or 5?
Using your argument, I didn't have kids and still don't, why should I pay that part of the tax that goes to education?

I don't resent it as it is for the benefit of the whole of society.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
Using your argument, I didn't have kids and still don't, why should I pay that part of the tax that goes to education?

I am in a similar position.
I was and still am in favour of the Poll Tax, I am in favour of people being self sufficient, living within their means and not sponging off others.
If you can not afford it either go without or get your finger out and work harder to achieve your desires.
However I do understand there will be some who will need help but our present system encourages this behaviour.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 7:33 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably though you went through the education system!! Maybe some paid for you who didn't have kids!!
Old Feb 15th 2021, 9:52 am
Just Joined

EnglishRed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Presumably though you went through the education system!! Maybe some paid for you who didn't have kids!!
Maybe they did but maybe they wern't so narraow minded and selfish.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 9:54 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they did but maybe they wern't so narraow minded and selfish.
Well, you said it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.