Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

July 2020 is coming....

July 2020 is coming....

Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:35 am
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,230
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default July 2020 is coming....

Any predictions for what to expect for this month ahead?



paulry is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 6:05 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,805
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

At this point who knows... 2020 just keeps on giving.

One upside so far is we have had a mild summer in most of BC, maybe this trend will continue, a cooler summer always helps keep the fires few.

My guess for July here is a slight uptick in cases to a moderate uptick in COVID as we closer and closer to normal levels of interaction.

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 6:24 pm
  #3  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 17,742
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Blimey, paulry! That's 2 fish with stinkbait! You're on a roll!
amideislas is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 7:00 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,230
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
At this point who knows... 2020 just keeps on giving.

One upside so far is we have had a mild summer in most of BC, maybe this trend will continue, a cooler summer always helps keep the fires few.

My guess for July here is a slight uptick in cases to a moderate uptick in COVID as we closer and closer to normal levels of interaction.
Yeah, hard to predict such at such a volatile time but my prediction for Australia is our infection rates will increase but they'll be kept down to manageable levels.

In the USA, things will heat up there politically but the left side of politics will feel increasingly cornered as their chickens continue to come home to roost (or should that be roast?!) . The red pilling of the population will continue and we'll see more and more people walking away. The CHOPs will stumble along and will continue to be a self-inflicted thorn in the Democrat's side. July the 4th is a date to watch out for. Infection rates will continue to be high as the nation just gives up and accepts herd immunity as the defacto approach.

In the UK "negotiations" with the EU will continue to stumble along, walking dead style and everyone knows WTO is the most likely outcome. Infections will continue to be high and more inflatables full of migrants will cross the channel.

All very gloomy really, but I don't see many positive things happening this side of Christmas.

Fingers crossed you have a kind fire season that side.
paulry is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 7:03 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,230
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Blimey, paulry! That's 2 fish with stinkbait! You're on a roll!
Oops, one more July prediction: Ami will continue to go around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around with Brexit
paulry is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 9:14 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,805
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Yeah, hard to predict such at such a volatile time but my prediction for Australia is our infection rates will increase but they'll be kept down to manageable levels.

In the USA, things will heat up there politically but the left side of politics will feel increasingly cornered as their chickens continue to come home to roost (or should that be roast?!) . The red pilling of the population will continue and we'll see more and more people walking away. The CHOPs will stumble along and will continue to be a self-inflicted thorn in the Democrat's side. July the 4th is a date to watch out for. Infection rates will continue to be high as the nation just gives up and accepts herd immunity as the defacto approach.

In the UK "negotiations" with the EU will continue to stumble along, walking dead style and everyone knows WTO is the most likely outcome. Infections will continue to be high and more inflatables full of migrants will cross the channel.

All very gloomy really, but I don't see many positive things happening this side of Christmas.

Fingers crossed you have a kind fire season that side.
I do think being a big island does help...ha ha

Canada is next door to the mess that is the US, so its harder to control here, the border is restricted but not closed, so if you have a valid essential reason to cross you can still, as can citizens returning home. Canadian's don't see eager to have international travel resume so will be interesting to see how Canada moves going forward in the next 1-2 months.

My guess is Canada will probably extend most border restrictions at least until August, its done on a month to month basis at the moment, seems risky to resume allowing international travel, or life the restrictions but maintain the 14 day mandatory quarantine which is more or less a ban on travel except for those who have the time and money to sit in a hotel room for the the first 14 days of their trip, but then if they get ill, they could become a burden on the healthcare system, I mean how many insurance companies at this point will cover COVID related hospitalization in travel insurance?

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 9:28 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,230
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I do think being a big island does help...ha ha

Canada is next door to the mess that is the US, so its harder to control here, the border is restricted but not closed, so if you have a valid essential reason to cross you can still, as can citizens returning home. Canadian's don't see eager to have international travel resume so will be interesting to see how Canada moves going forward in the next 1-2 months.

My guess is Canada will probably extend most border restrictions at least until August, its done on a month to month basis at the moment, seems risky to resume allowing international travel, or life the restrictions but maintain the 14 day mandatory quarantine which is more or less a ban on travel except for those who have the time and money to sit in a hotel room for the the first 14 days of their trip, but then if they get ill, they could become a burden on the healthcare system, I mean how many insurance companies at this point will cover COVID related hospitalization in travel insurance?
Yeah a very different situation on many levels exists in Australia to that in North America. It's great that we have the virus more or less under control here but the downside of that is because of the relative differences between us and elsewhere we're stuck with our national borders closed for all but exceptional circumstances at least until the end of the year. Though it's possible we'll establish corridors with some countries that have similar control and virus infection rates to us, for example New Zealand. But those of us in this corner of the world are the lucky ones to mostly only suffer inconveniences while so many others have painfully lost so much more...
paulry is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:11 pm
  #8  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 35,436
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post

I mean how many insurance companies at this point will cover COVID related hospitalization in travel insurance?
Quite. Good point.
BEVS is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:17 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,230
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
how many insurance companies at this point will cover COVID related hospitalization in travel insurance?
Since the risks of getting infected by the act of sitting on flights full of other passengers, and all the potential contact points for infection along the way, not many, I would imagine.
paulry is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 11:53 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 17,702
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

People travelled without insurance before Covid what makes you think those people would now want to get insurance.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2020, 12:26 am
  #11  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 32,618
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
People travelled without insurance before Covid what makes you think those people would now want to get insurance.
It's been a long time since I booked a holiday but I remember the travel companies wanted proof that I was insured if I didn't take their policy.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2020, 12:56 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 17,702
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It's been a long time since I booked a holiday but I remember the travel companies wanted proof that I was insured if I didn't take their policy.
Maybe travel companies prefer to see such but there is this thing called the internet and I believe you can book flights and vacations on them without the need to provide insurance coverage.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2020, 10:06 am
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,230
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Maybe travel companies prefer to see such but there is this thing called the internet and I believe you can book flights and vacations on them without the need to provide insurance coverage.
That must be a North American thing because I don't ever remember having to take out insurance, though I would think that organised tours, cruises, etc - which we've never done, might require it. Our last tip to abroad was the first time we've ever taken it out - we're becoming more risk adverse as we get older. Prior to that we've always traveled on a shoestring budget so taken the risk.
paulry is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2020, 11:53 am
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 17,702
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

I don't believe it is just a North American thing. Any traveller from any country going to any country risks being admitted to hospital from the result of an injury or becoming sick etc. Now dependent which country you are in is this treatment free or do you pay upfront out of your own pocket as you have no insurance to cover you? Yes we can agree the US has very high treatment fees even in dispensing pills so a $100 fee might not break your bank but god forbid you need surgery in the US or quite a few other countries and have no insurance. I have refused travellers entry into Canada for not having adequate insurance coverage to cover them for the time they will be in Canada.
Who is left on the hook for all these unpaid medical fees?
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2020, 4:51 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,230
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 2020 is coming....

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I don't believe it is just a North American thing. Any traveller from any country going to any country risks being admitted to hospital from the result of an injury or becoming sick etc. Now dependent which country you are in is this treatment free or do you pay upfront out of your own pocket as you have no insurance to cover you? Yes we can agree the US has very high treatment fees even in dispensing pills so a $100 fee might not break your bank but god forbid you need surgery in the US or quite a few other countries and have no insurance. I have refused travellers entry into Canada for not having adequate insurance coverage to cover them for the time they will be in Canada.
Who is left on the hook for all these unpaid medical fees?
I'm talking about travel agents making travel insurance mandatory. But I agree that some countries require it - especially if a person looks likely that they will need treatments during their stay. And if a long stay is planned it does minimise the risks of being turned away at the border.
paulry is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.