British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Jo Swinson ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/jo-swinson-929083/)

Shard Nov 5th 2019 2:25 pm

Jo Swinson !

Can she do it? Can Jo Swinson become PM ?! Whether she can or not, have to give her credit for having the ambition and determination to propel the Lib Dems back onto the main stage. She's certainly more dynamic that the Ditherer in Chief JS or the Charalatan in Cheif Bojo. FTFP voting might make it possible if enough Remainers vote against delay (Corbyn) or disaster (Johnson).

Bipat Nov 5th 2019 2:42 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12759255)
Can she do it? Can Jo Swinson become PM ?! Whether she can or not, have to give her credit for having the ambition and determination to propel the Lib Dems back onto the main stage. She's certainly more dynamic that the Ditherer in Chief JS or the Charalatan in Cheif Bojo. FTFP voting might make it possible if enough Remainers vote against delay (Corbyn) or disaster (Johnson).

Not yet. She doesn't have the candidates. (Or the money!) I was a LibDem member for many years. Admirer of Shirley Williams, Charles Kennedy, and some of the previous Liberals. However in our constituency there was never a candidate who knew the town or had even visited more than a couple of times.
(Had a recent Mail from Jo Swinson asking for £25, for the election!! )

Shard Nov 5th 2019 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12759269)
Not yet. She doesn't have the candidates. (Or the money!) I was a LibDem member for many years. Admirer of Shirley Williams, Charles Kennedy, and some of the previous Liberals. However in our constituency there was never a candidate who knew the town or had even visited more than a couple of times.
(Had a recent Mail from Jo Swinson asking for £25, for the election!! )

She's claiming she could be so she must at least have the candidates ?

BristolUK Nov 5th 2019 2:58 pm

At the moment I'm reminded of David Steel's “return to your constituencies and prepare for government

For old times sake

Bipat Nov 5th 2019 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12759270)
She's claiming she could be so she must at least have the candidates ?

Candidates likely to get a reasonable number of votes??

paulry Nov 5th 2019 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12759255)

:rofl: She's a disaster. Completely undemocratic. Deceives people with her advertising posters, takes every opportunity to blame things on sexism and is propped up politically and financially by the EU :thumbdown:

Shard Nov 5th 2019 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12759291)
:rofl: She's a disaster. Completely undemocratic. Deceives people with her advertising posters, takes every opportunity to blame things on sexism and is propped up politically and financially by the EU :thumbdown:

She's a breath of fresh air. I think she's been forced into playing the sexism card by the Con/Lab stitch up. Anyway, I'll leave you to your lovely Ann Widdecombe. :rofl:

amideislas Nov 5th 2019 4:14 pm

Also, she (and the party in general) are making the mistake of relying on selling the product on its practical merits. The electorate responds to emotional things. Stuff they WANT to hear. They don't want to hear about all the downsides or how the leave side lied, or any of that. And everybody now knows Brexit won't be over for a very long time, if ever.

They should be selling the product on the very same premise the leavers are selling it on: Get Brexit done. No Brexit means no more Brexit. End of.

But even better, it doesn't come with all the downsides. And it's as easy as revoking article 50. No more bullshit. No more elections. No more dominating the telly and the rags. Done! Simples!

That's what they should be saying.

Shard Nov 5th 2019 5:19 pm

Good point Ami. Maybe they will do that as the campaign progresses. Corbyn's Brexit plans sound reasonable, until you stop to reflect that Parliament will block him every step of the way. Revoke is the pragmatic solution as well as the economic solution.

stevenglish1 Nov 5th 2019 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12759276)
At the moment I'm reminded of David Steel's “return to your constituencies and prepare for government

For old times sake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-nfWPSNlk

​​​​​​ Surely there's ammo enough for a new series of spitting image, it's what Britain needs right now.

amideislas Nov 5th 2019 8:15 pm

Well, also, the Tories have a serious hole in their message: it assumes that the majority really WANT Brexit. But statistically, that's not necessarily true. Many, even leave voters really dont care all that much. And Brexit won't be "done" for a long, long time under the Tory plan. That's indisputable. Nobody really believes it will magically come to an end anytime soon.

So, the lib dems and SNP et al, are simply playing into their game by focusing on opposing their message. People want Brexit done now. And they don't want the bullshit anymore. Even leavers know it comes at a price. And they'd like to hear about other stuff in the media for a change. Brexit is rapidly becoming "so yesterday".

So, go with it. Keep the Tories (and Labour) on the defensive. Their way means Brexit for a decade or more. Show the electorate you can demonstrably wrap it all up in one day, with no sacrifices. And it's absolutely believable, because it's the inescapable truth. And everybody knows it. Get Brexit done for real. Vote Lib Dem. Simples.

Red Eric Nov 5th 2019 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12759393)
​​​​​​ Surely there's ammo enough for a new series of spitting image, it's what Britain needs right now.

And the Lord said Let there be Spitting Image (again).

stevenglish1 Nov 5th 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12759397)

That's amazing, I wonder if I'm special.

Beer should be free .........

jjmb Nov 5th 2019 8:45 pm

If she even gets re-elected. Good chance the SNP will take her seat.

stevenglish1 Nov 5th 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12759409)
That's amazing, I wonder if I'm special.

Beer should be free .........

Still $52 for a slab, worth a try

carcajou Nov 5th 2019 9:37 pm

Their goal isn't to win, it's to outflank Labour and become the official opposition. That's why they wanted an election before any Brexit deal - the LD platform goes up in smoke the second Leave becomes a reality, and they certainly weren't going to do any withdrawal deal that made Jeremy Corbyn a caretaker Prime Minister and reinforce Labour's status as main party of the left.

Lion in Winter Nov 5th 2019 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12759447)
Their goal isn't to win, it's to outflank Labour and become the official opposition. That's why they wanted an election before any Brexit deal - the LD platform goes up in smoke the second Leave becomes a reality, and they certainly weren't going to do any withdrawal deal that made Jeremy Corbyn a caretaker Prime Minister and reinforce Labour's status as main party of the left.

Unusually, I agree with you. They surely won't go from 16 seats to a majority, and can't really believe that they will.

BristolUK Nov 6th 2019 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12759397)

I mentioned it in a thread somewhere :angel:

BritInParis Nov 6th 2019 1:25 am

Appealing to the ardent Remain supporter may see the Lib Dems gain a certain number of Conservative and Labour marginals in the leafier parts of the country but the idea they’ll be forming a government or becoming the main opposition party is for the birds.

Scamp Nov 6th 2019 4:47 am

Don't need another one, so much of it is still 100% accurate:

GeniB Nov 6th 2019 12:16 pm

I'll just say..... It takes a woman to clean up a mans mess....:lol:

GeniB Nov 6th 2019 12:19 pm

And before you say it...:p Theresa May did a valiant job of trying to do it against all odds and backstabbing within her own party

I think the Brits may be in for the shock of their lives this time around. Never underestimate just how angry the people are...on both sides of the vote

Shard Nov 6th 2019 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12759722)
I'll just say..... It takes a woman to clean up a mans mess....:lol:

Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats (!) according to the new battle bus.

namsbabe Nov 21st 2019 4:25 pm

No way she can win 300 plus seats. At best she'd win 60. Maybe 100 at most.

​​​​​​

Shard Nov 21st 2019 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by namsbabe (Post 12767223)
No way she can win 300 plus seats. At best she'd win 60. Maybe 100 at most.

​​​​​​

Not looking good for Jo at this stage.

materialcontroller Nov 21st 2019 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12767234)
Not looking good for Jo at this stage.

People put off by the Revoke message perhaps?

Shard Nov 21st 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 12767246)
People put off by the Revoke message perhaps?

Lots of things, but that's certainly a bee in many bonnets.

namsbabe Nov 21st 2019 5:34 pm

how is she gonna get the 300 plus to make a majority?
her party has to win big in London, the Home Counties, and the Midlands and North of England.
Let's not forget Scotland and Wales too.
This means being appealing in the northern English Leave areas - as much as it is in the Remain southern English locales.

This alone is unlikely. A good election for the Lib Dems at best would be to be the Opposition, or to get 100 seats maximum.
An election is not impossible, but must be in the 10000s to 1. maybe 1000000/1.

Shard Nov 21st 2019 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by namsbabe (Post 12767270)
how is she gonna get the 300 plus to make a majority?
her party has to win big in London, the Home Counties, and the Midlands and North of England.
Let's not forget Scotland and Wales too.
This means being appealing in the northern English Leave areas - as much as it is in the Remain southern English locales.

This alone is unlikely. A good election for the Lib Dems at best would be to be the Opposition, or to get 100 seats maximum.
An election is not impossible, but must be in the 10000s to 1. maybe 1000000/1.

You've already made this point up thread. I don't think anyone will disagree.

Annetje Nov 21st 2019 11:00 pm

It's strange, the more I hear or see her, the less I like her ...
She never talks about the Party but always in the ''I'' form, I want this, my ambition is that, etc.

BritInParis Nov 21st 2019 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12767506)
She never talks about the Party but always in the ''I'' form, I want this, my ambition is that, etc.

And the polls mirror your opinion. Trying to run a presidential style campaign when your candidate isn’t particularly likeable or noteworthy isn’t the best strategy - just ask Mrs May. Perhaps she should be fighting less hard for that debate spotlight.

BristolUK Nov 21st 2019 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12767506)

I worked with people like that. Sadly they were the ones who (undeservedly) got on.

Annetje Nov 21st 2019 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12767515)
I worked with people like that. Sadly they were the ones who (undeservedly) got on.

You worked in the gas business ? :eek:

Annetje Nov 21st 2019 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12767513)
And the polls mirror your opinion. Trying to run a presidential style campaign when your candidate isn’t particularly likeable or noteworthy isn’t the best strategy - just ask Mrs May. Perhaps she should be fighting less hard for that debate spotlight.

So I'm not the only one ...
Like you said, she tries too hard.
She keeps forgetting the LibDems are trying to climb back up the ladder. That takes time and diplomacy !

BristolUK Nov 21st 2019 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12767525)
You worked in the gas business ? :eek:

Some might say that :lol: but, no, social security benefits/job centre

Annetje Nov 21st 2019 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12767530)
Some might say that :lol: but, no, social security benefits/job centre

Pffffttttt close one ;)

Bipat Nov 22nd 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12767513)

I must say as a Lib Dem member I admired Jo Swinson, so disappointed that she has been a little 'wild' in her predictions and refusal to accept he referendum result.
I preferred Norman Lamb however he has 'aged' rather quickly and not standing in the election.
(I get daily e-mails asking for money!)

Shard Nov 22nd 2019 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12767654)
I must say as a Lib Dem member I admired Jo Swinson, so disappointed that she has been a little 'wild' in her predictions and refusal to accept he referendum result.
I preferred Norman Lamb however he has 'aged' rather quickly and not standing in the election.
(I get daily e-mails asking for money!)

Do you think she should have made a similar policy to Labour, revised deal, referendum, remain/leave?

I think strategically the only way for LD to stand out in this election was to be very bold. It may not work, but it may be that nothing would have worked.

GeniB Nov 27th 2019 10:11 am

I'm afraid she is not mature enough yet.. She didn't come out at all well in the BBC debate.. Had nothing to say on some pretty important issues. Her lack of experience showed.

Shard Nov 27th 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12770263)
I'm afraid she is not mature enough yet.. She didn't come out at all well in the BBC debate.. Had nothing to say on some pretty important issues. Her lack of experience showed.

​​​​​​Seemed mature enough to me. Even if she were less mature, I'd rather have that than a charlatan who will drive the country off a cliff to fulfill his fantasies.