British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Jo Swinson ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/jo-swinson-929083/)

Shard Nov 5th 2019 2:25 pm

Jo Swinson !
 
Can she do it? Can Jo Swinson become PM ?! Whether she can or not, have to give her credit for having the ambition and determination to propel the Lib Dems back onto the main stage. She's certainly more dynamic that the Ditherer in Chief JS or the Charalatan in Cheif Bojo. FTFP voting might make it possible if enough Remainers vote against delay (Corbyn) or disaster (Johnson).

Bipat Nov 5th 2019 2:42 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12759255)
Can she do it? Can Jo Swinson become PM ?! Whether she can or not, have to give her credit for having the ambition and determination to propel the Lib Dems back onto the main stage. She's certainly more dynamic that the Ditherer in Chief JS or the Charalatan in Cheif Bojo. FTFP voting might make it possible if enough Remainers vote against delay (Corbyn) or disaster (Johnson).

Not yet. She doesn't have the candidates. (Or the money!) I was a LibDem member for many years. Admirer of Shirley Williams, Charles Kennedy, and some of the previous Liberals. However in our constituency there was never a candidate who knew the town or had even visited more than a couple of times.
(Had a recent Mail from Jo Swinson asking for £25, for the election!! )

Shard Nov 5th 2019 2:46 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12759269)
Not yet. She doesn't have the candidates. (Or the money!) I was a LibDem member for many years. Admirer of Shirley Williams, Charles Kennedy, and some of the previous Liberals. However in our constituency there was never a candidate who knew the town or had even visited more than a couple of times.
(Had a recent Mail from Jo Swinson asking for £25, for the election!! )

She's claiming she could be so she must at least have the candidates ?

BristolUK Nov 5th 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 
At the moment I'm reminded of David Steel's “return to your constituencies and prepare for government


For old times sake

Bipat Nov 5th 2019 3:02 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12759270)
She's claiming she could be so she must at least have the candidates ?

Candidates likely to get a reasonable number of votes??

paulry Nov 5th 2019 3:29 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12759255)
Can she do it? Can Jo Swinson become PM ?! Whether she can or not, have to give her credit for having the ambition and determination to propel the Lib Dems back onto the main stage. She's certainly more dynamic that the Ditherer in Chief JS or the Charalatan in Cheif Bojo. FTFP voting might make it possible if enough Remainers vote against delay (Corbyn) or disaster (Johnson).

:rofl: She's a disaster. Completely undemocratic. Deceives people with her advertising posters, takes every opportunity to blame things on sexism and is propped up politically and financially by the EU :thumbdown:

Shard Nov 5th 2019 3:49 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12759291)
:rofl: She's a disaster. Completely undemocratic. Deceives people with her advertising posters, takes every opportunity to blame things on sexism and is propped up politically and financially by the EU :thumbdown:

She's a breath of fresh air. I think she's been forced into playing the sexism card by the Con/Lab stitch up. Anyway, I'll leave you to your lovely Ann Widdecombe. :rofl:

amideislas Nov 5th 2019 4:14 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 
Also, she (and the party in general) are making the mistake of relying on selling the product on its practical merits. The electorate responds to emotional things. Stuff they WANT to hear. They don't want to hear about all the downsides or how the leave side lied, or any of that. And everybody now knows Brexit won't be over for a very long time, if ever.

They should be selling the product on the very same premise the leavers are selling it on: Get Brexit done. No Brexit means no more Brexit. End of.

But even better, it doesn't come with all the downsides. And it's as easy as revoking article 50. No more bullshit. No more elections. No more dominating the telly and the rags. Done! Simples!

That's what they should be saying.

Shard Nov 5th 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 
Good point Ami. Maybe they will do that as the campaign progresses. Corbyn's Brexit plans sound reasonable, until you stop to reflect that Parliament will block him every step of the way. Revoke is the pragmatic solution as well as the economic solution.

stevenglish1 Nov 5th 2019 8:04 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12759276)
At the moment I'm reminded of David Steel's “return to your constituencies and prepare for government


For old times sake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-nfWPSNlk

​​​​​​ Surely there's ammo enough for a new series of spitting image, it's what Britain needs right now.

amideislas Nov 5th 2019 8:15 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 
Well, also, the Tories have a serious hole in their message: it assumes that the majority really WANT Brexit. But statistically, that's not necessarily true. Many, even leave voters really dont care all that much. And Brexit won't be "done" for a long, long time under the Tory plan. That's indisputable. Nobody really believes it will magically come to an end anytime soon.

So, the lib dems and SNP et al, are simply playing into their game by focusing on opposing their message. People want Brexit done now. And they don't want the bullshit anymore. Even leavers know it comes at a price. And they'd like to hear about other stuff in the media for a change. Brexit is rapidly becoming "so yesterday".

So, go with it. Keep the Tories (and Labour) on the defensive. Their way means Brexit for a decade or more. Show the electorate you can demonstrably wrap it all up in one day, with no sacrifices. And it's absolutely believable, because it's the inescapable truth. And everybody knows it. Get Brexit done for real. Vote Lib Dem. Simples.

Red Eric Nov 5th 2019 8:18 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12759393)
​​​​​​ Surely there's ammo enough for a new series of spitting image, it's what Britain needs right now.

And the Lord said Let there be Spitting Image (again).


stevenglish1 Nov 5th 2019 8:39 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12759397)

That's amazing, I wonder if I'm special.

Beer should be free .........

jjmb Nov 5th 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 
If she even gets re-elected. Good chance the SNP will take her seat.

stevenglish1 Nov 5th 2019 8:50 pm

Re: Jo Swinson !
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12759409)
That's amazing, I wonder if I'm special.

Beer should be free .........

Still $52 for a slab, worth a try


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:27 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.