Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

It's not just about guns, it's about the person holding the weapon

It's not just about guns, it's about the person holding the weapon

Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's not just about guns, it's about the person holding the weapon

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
For what? What service are you getting?
Processing this set of information:

http://content.met.police.uk/Site/fi...msapplications

I see that only the initial cost is £50. Renewals are only £40. Even more of a bargain currently. Hard to see how they can wipe their ass with your form for that amount, let alone process and verify the info on it.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 10th 2013 at 5:16 am.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
The great thing about America is you're free to expect that the police will arrive in time when you call for them, and not own a gun, and I am free to doubt they'll arrive in time (I live in semi-rural area outside the city limits with only the sheriff's department covering several hundred square miles), and prepare to defend myself effectively.
Mine is several thousand square miles. I was talking to one officer, on a Sunday night they have 2 (two) police cars on duty.

I think that is 3 times the size of Greater London.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:05 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is several thousand square miles. I was talking to one officer, on a Sunday night they have 2 (two) police cars on duty.

I think that is 3 times the size of Greater London.
So there are multiple officers on duty in your area? ..... Why on earth would you need a gun?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I do have my guarddog.

I do not have a whistle?

http://communities.washingtontimes.c...guns-says-col/
Old Jun 11th 2013, 8:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
So currently a princely £10 a year... and even if gunowners were charged the actual cost would still only be £40 a year, which strikes me as still a bargain.
But the point surely is that the controls have been imposed in the public interest, so the public should bear part of the cost. Full cost recovery seems a bit ridiculous because there are undoubtedly more efficient ways to do it.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought they were imposed because of the political interest?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:06 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they were imposed because of the political interest?
I thought they were imposed because of the media interest. .... When did any politician have any interest in anything that didn't generate favourable media coverage, or mitigate negative coverage?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 11th 2013 at 10:12 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The common factor, neither knows anything about the subject.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:29 pm
L/R

The common factor, neither knows anything about the subject.
Most politicians and most journos don't seem to know anything about any subject (other than politics and presentation!)
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this incident with this nutter in Santa Monica was quite interesting, apparently he tried to buy a gun in 2011, was turned down because he has a history of mental illness, so he bought a black powder revolver, converted it and also bought all the parts and tooling necessary to make the receiver of an AR-15 and put it together.

Can't remember one of these nutters doing that before.

Of course now people in California are screaming for more controls on the sale of firearm components, but I can't help thinking that if a mentally ill person walks into a gun store and is denied the purchase of a gun, why wasn't there any follow up? Bit of a red flag isn't it? The law isn't going to work if it isn't used effectively.

Looks like it took him two years to put these guns together, plenty of time to do that.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You could probably make one with a lump of steel and a metal file in that time.

Both should be banned.

Where is Obama?