Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

It's all getting ridiculous now

It's all getting ridiculous now

Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's all getting ridiculous now

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Whoops, there goes my Perthcentrism again! Sorry
Where will your first trip in the regions be, now that restrictions are being lifted? Seems to be good rains this year - which should make a good wildflower season this August.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 11:12 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
my problem is that I love a good dark, confrontational sense of humour, and can see where this might end up. I'm not a fan of how these streaming services work anyhow, I much prefer to pop down to blockbuster and rent some obscure b movie than make a choice from any top 50 list.

I know this probably makes me sound like one of them all lives matter wankers bit I'm not, I just think we should accept the past for what it was, warts n all, learn from it, don't deny it and move on. Systemic racism resulted in the murder of George Floyd, not a few off the wall comedy shows, i bet that the likes of Noel Fielding are .mortified that their comedy is deemed racist, for me the intent is everything, and his intent was a giggle nothing more.
No, you don't sounds like an all lives matter wanker at all, and I'm with you on the dark and confrontational humour. The "where will it all end" argument I've never been that big a fan of because sometimes it's used as an excuse to not start at all and to do nothing about things that are real issues - we have to use good judgement, because judgement is how we make these decisions in the first place. Now you and I would probably both agree that making films using stereotyped Black people portrayed as a bit simple and with watermelon smiles (in a non-ironic fashion) wouldn't pass muster and wouldn't get made. That is our judgement at work. I know what you mean about Noel Fielding. Interestingly, the BBC hasn't removed it or many of the others. I don't think that removing these programmes or even the statues is "rewriting history" though. The history wouldn't be going away - in fact, the current controversy highlights it more - it would just be a change in what we do for amusement and how we decorate our towns and cities. That isn't erasing history (I know you weren't saying that it is, but some do).

I also agree with you on learning about and from the past - as long as people actually do of course. And I think the argument about films/programmes is a little different from that of statues. Probably. Films are cultural creations. Statues represent what people have chosen to glorify. I don't know what to do about some of them really. I'm torn, I walked among a lot of these things growing up in London and I confess that at the time I probably didn't think nearly enough about what they meant and what they might be saying to some of the residents of London, but they are part of the landscape of my home town. What do we do? Change the info on the plaque so that people learn our history of imperialism rather than just the cultural myth explanation? Put up other statues to people who have been nearly erased from history and certainly never glorified? I really don't know. Do we know anything at all about indigenous individuals who fought against the conquering individuals who get statues in London and elsewhere? I don't much at all. Those people never appeared in my school history books. Perhaps a look at the school curriculum would be a better approach. A lot of the actions we're seeing now could perhaps have been avoided if we had properly addressed legitimate issues earlier.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 13th 2020 at 11:22 am.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting and well-put video that offers glimpses of our present, and, if we're not careful: Our future.

Old Jun 15th 2020, 1:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
An interesting and well-put video that offers glimpses of our present, and, if we're not careful: Our future.
For information on the uploader and its backers, see https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.ph...omic_Education
Old Jun 15th 2020, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
For information on the uploader and its backers, see https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.ph...omic_Education
Just looked at http://www.fee.org/ What a thoroughly positive site. Inspiring, motivational and educational webcasts. An awesome self help site and far removed from the negative, deeply divisive and destructive materials that you prefer to read and watch. Wow! Why do you dislike it?
Old Jun 15th 2020, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Can we burn Ant and Dec then?
Old Jun 15th 2020, 5:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at http://www.fee.org/ What a thoroughly positive site. Inspiring, motivational and educational webcasts. An awesome self help site and far removed from the negative, deeply divisive and destructive materials that you prefer to read and watch. Wow! Why do you dislike it?
Well, yes, that other one you promoted also sounded positive and inspiring. But the reality was different wasn't it. What with being disowned for extremism and the false information provided that resulted in the daily telegraph having to apologise.

What don't I like about feedotorg? Did you not look at the link about the financial backers? If you had, you would not have needed to ask.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 15th 2020 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, yes, that other one you promoted also sounded positive and inspiring. But the reality was different wasn't it. What with being disowned for extremism and the false information provided that resulted in the daily telegraph having to apologise.

What don't I like about feedotorg? Did you not look at the link about the financial backers? If you had, you would not have needed to ask.
Founded in 1946, FEE was the first modern think tank established in the United States specifically to promote, research and promulgate free market and libertarian ideas.

Yes, I absolutely did look at your link about the financial backers, and the links within that....

Americans for Prosperity:
"Committed to educating citizens about economic policy and a return of the federal government to its Constitutional limits." On AFP's website it says it supports "cutting taxes and government spending in order to halt the encroachment of government in the economic lives of citizens by fighting proposed tax increases and pointing out evidence of waste, fraud, and abuse.
Stand Together Chamber of Commerce:
It describes its mission as "to advance its members' common business interests by advancing the principles of free markets and a free society. The organization works to educate the public and policymakers about the business and economic impacts of a broad range of policy issues, including over-regulation, government spending, cronyism, and special interest handouts.
The Charles Koch Foundation and the now-defunct Claude R. Lambe Foundation:
Each year, the family's foundations contribute hundreds of thousands of dollars to academic institutions. According to the Charles G. Koch Foundation website, "the Foundation primarily supports research and higher education programs that analyze the impact of free societies, in particular how they advance the well-being of mankind."
....I think I can see why it sends shivers up your spine.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 10:21 pm
Oscar nominated

The Charles Koch Foundation...

Absolutely.
Charles Koch looks favorably upon the Tea Party movement....He's funded groups opposed to Barack Obama's administration...Opposes climate change actions.

Think tanks, foundations, centres for...Just because they sound benign, warm and cuddly doesn't mean they are.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:17 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely.
Charles Koch looks favorably upon the Tea Party movement....He's funded groups opposed to Barack Obama's administration...Opposes climate change actions.

Think tanks, foundations, centres for...Just because they sound benign, warm and cuddly doesn't mean they are.
The Koch brothers have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to push politics to the right and, in particular, in their favour.

I would have thought that Paulry, our local champion of democracy for the people, would be appalled at this use of wealth by the elite to direct the outcome of the peoples' vote. In addition to direct political intervention, they fund specific academic agendas and curricula, cultural institutions, and against environmental legislation that threatened their own regulatory violations. Voice of the people?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 16th 2020 at 12:22 am.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The Koch brothers have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to push politics to the right and, in particular, in their favour.

I would have thought that Paulry, our local champion of democracy for the people, would be appalled at this use of wealth by the elite to direct the outcome of the peoples' vote. In addition to direct political intervention, they fund specific academic agendas and curricula, cultural institutions, and against environmental legislation that threatened their own regulatory violations. Voice of the people?
It was predictable you wouldn't like it. FEE is selling a message of hope, inspiration and upliftment. Meanwhile your statue pulling-friends are selling a message of hopelessness, victimhood and dependency. Can't you see that? Hey up, your useless idiot will be along in a minute to answer for you.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 10:53 am
Oscar nominated

It was predictable you wouldn't like it. FEE is selling a message of hope, inspiration and upliftment.
An absolutely astonishingly stupid response to the contradictory information in the public domain.

We should have a gofundme appeal set up to buy you some blinkers. They'd be an improvement on the blindfold you're currently wearing.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 11:11 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Founded in 1946, FEE was the first modern think tank established in the United States specifically to promote, research and promulgate free market and libertarian ideas.

Yes, I absolutely did look at your link about the financial backers, and the links within that....

Americans for Prosperity:

Stand Together Chamber of Commerce:

The Charles Koch Foundation and the now-defunct Claude R. Lambe Foundation:

There’s good and there’s bad. Walton family, Walmart, gave millions to set up and fund a museum of American Art in Benton, Arkansas, their HQ. I’d love to visit one day. Koch Brothers foundations saved the New York City Ballet from financial ruin, renamed the theatre after themselves, fair enough, the institution is still troubled but I think that was good work that they did. On the other hand, a lot of talk of “education”, “culture,” and “think tanks” hides an implacable political agenda, not open enquiry.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey up, your useless idiot will be along in a minute to answer for you.
An absolutely astonishingly stupid response to the contradictory information in the public domain.

We should have a gofundme appeal set up to buy you some blinkers. They'd be an improvement on the blindfold you're currently wearing.
And right on cue as expected
Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:24 pm
Oscar nominated

And right on cue as expected
I don't like to disappoint.

It's a good job you learned to touch-type all those years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.