Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

It's all getting ridiculous now

It's all getting ridiculous now

Old Jun 12th 2020, 2:51 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's all getting ridiculous now

League of gentlemen, the mighty boosh, little Britain, come fly with me all taken off of Netflix because they depict black characters (apparently). Bloody stupid in my opinion, these comedies are by people who are openly gay, bi, progressive, labour voting, decent non judgemental, non racist people. Call racism out where you see it, but don't try and magic it out of thin air. Utter bullshit imo, oh and gone with the wind temporarily removed. Maybe I'm just white and privileged.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 5:26 am
Watching from the Shore

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's all getting ridiculous now

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
League of gentlemen, the mighty boosh, little Britain, come fly with me all taken off of Netflix because they depict black characters (apparently). Bloody stupid in my opinion, these comedies are by people who are openly gay, bi, progressive, labour voting, decent non judgemental, non racist people. Call racism out where you see it, but don't try and magic it out of thin air. Utter bullshit imo, oh and gone with the wind temporarily removed. Maybe I'm just white and privileged.
Its just ridiculous.

We should not be trying to change the past, and attempting to ignore it by changing narratives and removing memorials, statues and even TV programmes is a dangerous step towards forgetting who we are and where we have come from.
Cultural norms change with time, always have and always will, and it is our job to learn from the changes.

I remember at school being taught how some German history books never mentioned the Holocaust, and there were similar situations in China and Russia. Forgetting - or plastering over - issues from the past helps no-one. Accept what happened and move on. History should never be rewritten, it is there to learn from.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 6:16 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Its just ridiculous.

We should not be trying to change the past, and attempting to ignore it by changing narratives and removing memorials, statues and even TV programmes is a dangerous step towards forgetting who we are and where we have come from.
Cultural norms change with time, always have and always will, and it is our job to learn from the changes.

I remember at school being taught how some German history books never mentioned the Holocaust, and there were similar situations in China and Russia. Forgetting - or plastering over - issues from the past helps no-one. Accept what happened and move on. History should never be rewritten, it is there to learn from.
If the historical record is incorrect surely it should be rewritten.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
If the historical record is incorrect surely it should be rewritten.
Look at the old debate between Geoffrey Elton and Edward Carr. The former took the position that the 'facts' of history were set in stone and it was the historian's task to discover/uncover them; the latter contended that this point of view is risible, history is what the historians write.

Personally, I prefer Sellar and Yeatman's conclusion in 1066 And All That: 'History is not what you thought. It is what you can remember. All other history defeats itself'. There's a certain amount of truth in that.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 8:01 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK View Post
Look at the old debate between Geoffrey Elton and Edward Carr. The former took the position that the 'facts' of history were set in stone and it was the historian's task to discover/uncover them; the latter contended that this point of view is risible, history is what the historians write.

Personally, I prefer Sellar and Yeatman's conclusion in 1066 And All That: 'History is not what you thought. It is what you can remember. All other history defeats itself'. There's a certain amount of truth in that.
I've been pondering along those lines myself over the last few days.

Has it been sorted out yet - what history is? We can't really talk about whether or not you can rewrite or erase history until we agree on what history actually is.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 8:30 am
FreeThinker

But yes - it is getting ridiculous.

I just watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory. Raj's parents mis-identified one of his friends.

'Oh, sorry - you all look the same to us' (much audience laughter)

How the hell did that get past the censors?
Old Jun 12th 2020, 8:56 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory. Raj's parents mis-identified one of his friends.

How the hell did that get past the censors?
I hope you're being sarcastic, comedy is by and large a tool to dismantle and poke fun at prejudice, ignorance and stereotypes. I see bugger all wrong with the scene in question. We've lost the ability to laugh at ourselves, and each other without causing offence. It's really sad.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 9:11 am
FreeThinker

I hope you're being sarcastic, comedy is by and large a tool to dismantle and poke fun at prejudice, ignorance and stereotypes. I see bugger all wrong with the scene in question. We've lost the ability to laugh at ourselves, and each other without causing offence. It's really sad.
Yes. Sad but maybe understandable in these times that that could be confused.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

'Oh, sorry - you all look the same to us' (much audience laughter)How the hell did that get past the censors?
I agree that it can be ridiculous. It is the failure to see the difference between laughing at and laughing with.

TV programmes such as 'ain't half hot mum', 'mind your language' have been foolishly described as 'racist' but all including British were mocked. I happen to know that both programmes were loved by my 'foreign' family.

That wonderful actor Burt Kwouk---of Chinese origin ---I heard him say that he was grateful he could earn money playing 'any' eastern part!

Lenny Henry has spoke at length regarding this and he himself played characters that mocked those of 'colour'.

'Goodness Gracious Me' etc wonderful shows mocking all!!! Other similar!!
Old Jun 12th 2020, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed but what about Oompa Loompa's
Old Jun 12th 2020, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

And now Fawlty Towers.

Old Jun 12th 2020, 1:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the programmes removed were because of "blackface" rather than black people. There are many things that were done, without evil intent but simply because the institutions thought them acceptable at the time that we would no longer do now.

Would we show this?

Or this?

This of course

And of course, the endless jokes about male homosexuality and "poofs". And much more recently, I've never been able to make up my mind about Ricky Gervais, who in many ways seems just exploitative of people with disabilities to my eye.

These things have been getting quietly removed from broadcast for decades. It isn't new. Only the major coverage of it is new. I don't really see much point to gratuitously offending people with jokes now deemed to be tasteless. There is a discussion to be had about when and how poking fun at something is tearing it down or building it up. The British are very good at taking the piss out of racists and their ignorant attitudes, for example, as well as other types of actions and behaviour, and thereby disempowering them and their ideologies. And then sometimes, it isn't that at all. Sometimes it's a "why can't I make jokes about gay people/Romany/Black people/women/disabled people/ etc etc etc - you lot should just get a sense of humour." Good judgement and good taste is knowing the difference.

Perhaps there's a better place to spend energy. Rather than spluttering about some of the fallout from attempting to undo structural racism, we could focus on the source of the problem rather than trying to deny it or pretend it isn't a big deal or, in particular, telling the people who are actually experiencing it that they are "doing it all wrong" when it comes to fixing it and should instead use methods comfortable for the people who aren't experiencing it.

If we could do that, then maybe the other stuff would stop too.

Old Jun 12th 2020, 1:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
Agreed but what about Oompa Loompa's

Cheap imported foreign labour. Right out.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 1:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely recall a comedy sketch where "going for an Indian" was similarly reversed.

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
'Goodness Gracious Me' etc wonderful shows mocking all!!! Other similar!!
Ah...IIRC it was GGM that did the reverse 'Indian' sketch.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I vaguely recall a comedy sketch where "going for an Indian" was similarly reversed.

Ah...IIRC it was GGM that did the reverse 'Indian' sketch.
Yes 'Going for an English'------brilliant sketch!!

As with much humour some serious points 'behind it'-----As when the drunk girls giggle and say "You know what they say about white men"----and they stare at the waiter's trousers (and he backs away).

(How often I have posted on this Forum that no 'brown ' India doesn't have higher rape statistics than UK!!!!)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6960ABC1&&FORM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.