British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   I don't really know where to put this (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/i-dont-really-know-where-put-927002/)

Lion in Winter Aug 9th 2019 8:29 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12720617)
This, but unironically :whistle:

They just won't die. They're like earthworms - cut one off and it just forms two others.

SultanOfSwing Aug 9th 2019 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12720754)
They just won't die. They're like earthworms - cut one off and it just forms two others.

The thought of exponentially growing Brexit threads does not appeal to me.

The Rushman Aug 9th 2019 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12720614)
I ignore stuff on here all the time :p

Not nearly enough unfortunately

The Rushman Aug 9th 2019 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720632)
Its not difficult to discuss though, but if we're all supposed to be outraged by what appears to be a genuine if insensitive mistake, then what will we have left when this sort of thing happens on purpose? As I say, if this happens again they deserve everything they get, but think of it this way, it's 2019, this is the first time a black man has been photographed being led by a rope in Texas, that means one of two things. It's either the first time this method has been used in a very long time, or its a regular occurrence but up til now only with white guys so who cares. If there's any outrage should be had here it's that an arrested man was being led by rope along the road, and it should be irrelevant of skin tone. Trouble is that skin tone is the very first thing that many people look at because that's what their care factor is dependent upon.

How we ever expect to confine racism to the history books all the while this is the case is a mystery to me.

100% well said Sir.

The Rushman Aug 9th 2019 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12720701)
I read that the department made changes so this doesn't happen again. But I also read that the mounted police were expected to not transport people, but to call in a vehicle. Which was not available.

Well then I suppose they should let him go because hes black but shouldve carried on with the rope if he was white?

All because of a 21st century percieved history that no one alive today was present at to say is/was genuine.

SultanOfSwing Aug 9th 2019 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by The Rushman (Post 12720915)
Well then I suppose they should let him go because hes black but shouldve carried on with the rope if he was white?

They shouldn't have used the rope at all, but you'd think they'd have had a little self awareness and realized what a terrible idea it was considering he was black.

All because of a 21st century percieved history that no one alive today was present at to say is/was genuine.

What are you trying to say here? There were lynchings up until the early 80s in some states - this happened in 1981. Stuff like this did happen, and in living memory for a great many people in the US today, so yeah there are people alive today who can confirm lynchings happened. If you're referring to slavery, well yeah it was officially abolished in the 1860s, but you'd be pretty naive to think that everything was just great for black people in the US from that point on. Even after the civil rights movement in the 60s, the underlying current of racism never really went away.

I know you want to believe we live in this perfect world where everyone is truly equal but we don't. Many of us would like to, of course, but we don.t

caretaker Aug 9th 2019 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12720923)
What are you trying to say here? There were lynchings up until the early 80s in some states - this happened in 1981.

The case that came to mind for me was https://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/10/us/black-man-fatally-dragged-in-a-possible-racial-killing.html this one.

kimilseung Aug 9th 2019 3:35 pm

Well then I suppose they should let him go

I'd let a homeless person done for trespass go in such a circumstance..The heinous crime of poverty with nowhere to go.

SultanOfSwing Aug 9th 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12720938)

Oh shit, so I was nearly 20 years out then.

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12720939)
I'd let a homeless person done for trespass go in such a circumstance..The heinous crime of poverty with nowhere to go.

That's basically a class 1 felony here though. Gotta fill up those for-profit prisons somehow, the 13th amendment doesn't cover them.

caretaker Aug 9th 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12720939)

Better still, have a public psychiatric aid facility that could just whip by in the van and take him back to the club for coffee and a calming chat; make sure he's seeing a doctor and taking his meds, (if any), reunite him with his family, and get him back in the system. Then they'd be doing something about why he's homeless, why he's poor, why he's trespassing.

SultanOfSwing Aug 9th 2019 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12720947)
Better still, have a public psychiatric aid facility that could just whip by in the van and take him back to the club for coffee and a calming chat; make sure he's seeing a doctor and taking his meds, (if any), reunite him with his family, and get him back in the system. Then they'd be doing something about why he's homeless, why he's poor, why he's trespassing.

That's a wonderfully Canadian way of looking at it. You must all be so disappointed in us up there.

paulry Aug 9th 2019 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720753)
We have institutionalized racism here in Aus too, successive governments have bent over backwards to be inclusive, and they've had to go full bore at it because they had previously been taking aboriginal kids away from their birth mothers to be drought up by white families up to the 1960's. This is still in the actual memories of some people, so it's only fair that the government takes responsibility and takes measures to right past wrongs. .
Racism may well be alive and well in Texas, but slavery isn't, hasn't been for 150 years, so to bring it up in this case I feel is irresponsible. If there are problems in Texas then they are modern ones, even if the attitudes have been passed down through generations.

You lot had a black president for 8 years, that's a damned sight better than Aus or the UK has managed, did that time go to waste regarding this issue?

As for the numbers, if one group of people end up disproportionately populating prisons, then you have to face the possibility that they're committing a disproportionate percentage of crime. Is educating young black people part of your plan?

I'm not being hostile by the way, genuine questions, the best example I know of is New Zealand, they've got their shit together, and pretty much all steak with one voice, perhaps we could all learn from them.

I think we'll find that some of the answers as to why blacks are doing less well than others can be found in this article below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa..._welfare_state

The American economists Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell argue that the significant expansion of federal welfare under the Great Society programs beginning in the 1960s contributed to the destruction of African American families. Sowell has argued that "the black family, which had survived centuries of slavery and discrimination, began rapidly disintegrating in the liberal welfare state that subsidized unwed pregnancy and changed welfare from an emergency rescue to a way of life."

There are several other factors which may have accelerated decline of the black family structure such as 1) The advancement of technology lessening the need for manual labor to more technical know-how labor; and 2) The women's rights movement in general opened up employment positions increasing competition, especially from white women, in many non-traditional areas which skilled blacks may have contributed to maintain their family structure in the midst of the rise of the cost of living.

caretaker Aug 9th 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12720949)
That's a wonderfully Canadian way of looking at it. You must all be so disappointed in us up there.

Of course, but we're far too polite to bring it up. :lol: The reality is that our social safety net also loses many disaffected people because either facilities for getting them off the street aren't there or are inadequate, and some just don't want to escape the street; it may be terrible but they don't trust the system. Especially in the case of drug addicts, it is vital to have a place in rehab available immediately when they decide they're willing to go in for treatment; tomorrow is often too late, next week is usually impossible. All that costs money, and of course most people realise the long term benefit to society by caring for the disadvantaged, but non-government agencies that run soup kitchens, clothing depots, shelters, and food banks still have to take up a lot of slack.

SultanOfSwing Aug 9th 2019 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12720967)
Of course, but we're far too polite to bring it up. :lol: The reality is that our social safety net also loses many disaffected people because either facilities for getting them off the street aren't there or are inadequate, and some just don't want to escape the street; it may be terrible but they don't trust the system. Especially in the case of drug addicts, it is vital to have a place in rehab available immediately when they decide they're willing to go in for treatment; tomorrow is often too late, next week is usually impossible. All that costs money, and of course most people realise the long term benefit to society by caring for the disadvantaged, but non-government agencies that run soup kitchens, clothing depots, shelters, and food banks still have to take up a lot of slack.

I mean, at least you have some semblance of a system. Here in America, it seems like they just want to toss them out on the street, but then complain that the streets are full of people who have been tossed out there.

caretaker Aug 9th 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12720972)
I mean, at least you have some semblance of a system. Here in America, it seems like they just want to toss them out on the street, but then complain that the streets are full of people who have been tossed out there.

The marginalised always show up on the street, even though you have public psych health systems; it's an indicator that the problem exists. Maybe what you should be looking are our public health care systems. They blew the whole bankroll on me last year at no cost to myself.