Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

I don't really know where to put this

I don't really know where to put this

Old Apr 1st 2020, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I don't really know where to put this

[QUOTE=Lion in Winter;12831056]I'm beginning to worry that we may have met or be related in some way, by marriage anyway. My BIL's family are from the New Forest area, with strong roots in Brockenhurst and as sailors plenty of connections in Lymington, too. His father was a boat architect. Driving through Brockenhurst now is pretty dire in the summer - everything jams up around that luxury car sales showroom.

I bought a car from that showroom many years ago.I can not remember what it was called.I never felt comfortable with the dealer or the way they did business and never went back to them.

Old Apr 1st 2020, 2:17 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't really know where to put this

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'm beginning to worry that we may have met or be related in some way, by marriage anyway. My BIL's family are from the New Forest area, with strong roots in Brockenhurst and as sailors plenty of connections in Lymington, too. His father was a boat architect. Driving through Brockenhurst now is pretty dire in the summer - everything jams up around that luxury car sales showroom.

Maybe. Makes sense anyway. All the businesses, shops, etc that might have thrived on having the navy in town aren't doing so well although the military surplus place, run by an Original Inhabitant, was a treasure cave of exploration for my son.
Worry? You mean rejoice?
You've got to know the rat run round Brock to survive that hellish set of lights coming from the other end of the high street.
I learned to ride my bike with and without stabilisers (Roundhill Campsite with Grandad), fly kites, about animals, make rope swings, chase girls on campsites...everything important is available to learn in the New Forest. God I love it.
Army surplus shops, aren't they great? I remember going into the one in Salisbury (next to McDonalds) and really trying to convince my Mum that I needed to eat my dinner with a spork from a mess tin.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:13 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Er, no, I didn't know them personally. Or Babs Windsor.

Thanks for the well wishes for my son. We'll see how it all turns out, but he's a sweety.
When I first moved to London, my office was on Commercial Road. As a "newcomer", I got brought in on the darts team (not much call for darts at home.... it hurts the singers!). The pub we played in was on a road leading from Commercial Road to the docks, parallel to the Minories (I think..... last time I went I couldn't recognise anything). It turned out that the road had been renamed after Jack did some ripping there... yep, dark, cold, wet winter's evenings traipsing through back streets where the Ripper had roamed, luvverly!! As I recall, at the end of that road (or very close) on the docks, was another pub.... The Blind Beggar. I think Reggie & Ronnie knew it quite well!
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
When I first moved to London, my office was on Commercial Road. As a "newcomer", I got brought in on the darts team (not much call for darts at home.... it hurts the singers!). The pub we played in was on a road leading from Commercial Road to the docks, parallel to the Minories (I think..... last time I went I couldn't recognise anything). It turned out that the road had been renamed after Jack did some ripping there... yep, dark, cold, wet winter's evenings traipsing through back streets where the Ripper had roamed, luvverly!! As I recall, at the end of that road (or very close) on the docks, was another pub.... The Blind Beggar. I think Reggie & Ronnie knew it quite well!
That's London for you. Layer upon layer upon layer.

Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:43 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to troll, find another patsy.
You made a claim, I am merely requesting you to substantiate it.You have failed to do so. You are welcome to withdraw from the dialogue at your first convenience.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Kim...a troll...really?
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:48 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh-err, it's getting spooky again.

I spent a couple of years mid-eighties working on East Smithfield, the Minories was the go to place for secretaries, managers, would-be managers and anyone wishing to liase with a secretary.

Serious drinking was done in The Artful Dodger on Royal Mint St, with the odd jaunt down to Wapping High St.

The drinking places in St Catherines Dock were for tourists and any managers/secretaries who naïvely thought that they hadn't been rumbled yet.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:48 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

You have actually pissed me off with this one.
Man makes claim that society owes religion a debt.
man fails to provide any evidence.
Man accuses those requesting evidence of trolling.
How bloody typical.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:53 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
To be fair, I grew up in Chilworth so, you know...
Chilworth Manor was a Uni "Hall of Residence" in my day, I seem to remember having gone there a couple of times for extra-curricular studies with a foreign girl in my department.
My Mum grew up in Brockenhurst and my Granny lived there until she died (long after Grandad). The New Forest is disgracefully overlooked when people talk of national parks in the UK, but that's a good thing for us. Although it's never forgotten and my drive to my office in Lymington was bliss in winters but AWFUL in summer. Bloody caravans.
I agree about the forest, in the Autumn it was beautiful.... although I nearly got taken out by a pheasant near Brockenhurst. Not something I'll ever forget... I could see it "Death by Moron Bird" on the certificate. Caravans were (and are) a pain - in Portugal the Dutch motorhomes are worse. I love the Cornish equivalent of "Grockle" for tourist..... Emmet - it means "Ant", because they crawl!!
Train is 1hr10 I think, that's a quick one stopping at Parkway and Winchester and maybe Clapham. Still, they've rebranded so many times I couldn't even imagine what shower of shite runs the line today.
I think you're right, I took it travelling down to see my sister in Dorset and remember being less than impressed that the trip from London took longer. But hey, the Airport was even less impressive than now (I did fly from there to Jersey to visit a dancer girlfriend on Summer Season). So trains in my day went straight through, or stopped at Basingstoke if you chose the wrong one. I got off there once and saw all the sights, then got back on the same train!
Southampton Uni is a proper uni, forgotten by many but it's a leader in many areas. The other one does Watersport Management and such I believe. Says it all.
Again, Soton's changed a bit..... but yeah, it was top-notch for oceanography and quite a bit else. I remember my first night in Residence, when it became apparent that most of the people standing in threes and fours were ex-Public School, I took the mick unmercifully (in me charmin' Irish way, don't ye know) and most of the eejits didn't even realise! Many's the free night in the bar I had, destroying them on the bar billiards table..... Cider and Newcastle Brown (the Guinness was shite)... a lethal combination and not good for morning lectures. Then evenings in the common room watching "University Challenge" with our own version and me always on the winning team (I might not know everyrhing, but I'm good at picking sides!). Stobbit, I haven't thought about "Connaught Hall" for ages (I thought they were taking the pi$$ there too - me, a Munster boy being sent to Connaught!!)
I think this is the point maybe. Southampton was commercial, it attracted money. Portsmouth was naval which means it attracted government money but really just housed seamen (snigger) and the associated infrastructure. Perhaps?
You have me remembering Rugby songs and rhymes..... "She was only a captain's daughter......." (snigger x2)
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:58 pm
Fair and balanced

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Kim...a troll...really?
It is difficult to know how ones posts are viewed by others. But I have a suspicion that one thing my posts might be known for is not letting posts involving religious privilege go unanseered.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:59 pm
Resident Cynic

Worry? You mean rejoice?
You've got to know the rat run round Brock to survive that hellish set of lights coming from the other end of the high street.
I learned to ride my bike with and without stabilisers (Roundhill Campsite with Grandad), fly kites, about animals, make rope swings, chase girls on campsites...everything important is available to learn in the New Forest. God I love it.
yeah, but enough about your twenties, what about when you were a kid?
Army surplus shops, aren't they great? I remember going into the one in Salisbury (next to McDonalds) and really trying to convince my Mum that I needed to eat my dinner with a spork from a mess tin.
I couldn't have survived with webbing backpacks at tuppence a time. I still have a webbing sidepack bought then and always used as my wiring kit. I also bough a pair of Bundeswehr jackboots down that way, for use on the bike, but they were about as pliable as clogs.....
Old Apr 1st 2020, 5:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
It is difficult to know how ones posts are viewed by others. But I have a suspicion that one thing my posts might be known for is not letting posts involving religious privilege go unanseered.
Amen to that.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 5:03 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
You have actually pissed me off with this one.
Man makes claim that society owes religion a debt.
man fails to provide any evidence.
Man accuses those requesting evidence of trolling.
How bloody typical.
Couldn't give a tuppenny.... I had said my fill before your entrance.
We are also talking culture, not religion.
If you want an argument, look elsewhere.

Last edited by macliam; Apr 1st 2020 at 5:06 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 5:04 pm
Fair and balanced

Your reticence is noted.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 5:51 pm
Fair and balanced

We are also talking culture, not religion.
Your edit has just been noted. That concludes this dialogue, with the shift in goalposts I have no issue with what you say. Worth bearing in mind in future to not say "Islam", when that is not what was meant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.