Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

I don't really know where to put this

I don't really know where to put this

Old Aug 8th 2019, 3:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't really know where to put this

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I've never been a fan really, because they're generally sectarian ***** in Northern Ireland. The ones out here running around in their tacti-cool gear fetishizing The Punisher can lick my arse.
Because I live in the hood I see SWAT from time to time when they're executing a high-risk warrant, but the average one is just doing the old crime fighting and ticket writing. I remember when I saw the first RCMP officer wearing a vest, now they all have them. All police here used to just carry a .38 Special in a button-down holster, RCMP kept a rifle in the trunk, city police often had a shotgun in the trunk, and now they're all Glock'd up and have shotguns in front seat racks. SWAT started here in '78 or thereabouts, and I met them at the gun range then, and they had formidable firepower. Back then one man in Calgary built a bunker in his garage, and sandbagged the oil change pit so they had to borrow an APC from a nearby army base and drive over him to get him out. After that all the cities wanted a SWAT team. Since then it's just developed as an answer to the increase in weapons crimes. Our game wardens used to have a rifle in their vehicle for dispatching wounded game, and now they all have personal sidearms and carbines as well.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 3:58 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Because I live in the hood I see SWAT from time to time when they're executing a high-risk warrant, but the average one is just doing the old crime fighting and ticket writing. I remember when I saw the first RCMP officer wearing a vest, now they all have them. All police here used to just carry a .38 Special in a button-down holster, RCMP kept a rifle in the trunk, city police often had a shotgun in the trunk, and now they're all Glock'd up and have shotguns in front seat racks. SWAT started here in '78 or thereabouts, and I met them at the gun range then, and they had formidable firepower. Back then one man in Calgary built a bunker in his garage, and sandbagged the oil change pit so they had to borrow an APC from a nearby army base and drive over him to get him out. After that all the cities wanted a SWAT team. Since then it's just developed as an answer to the increase in weapons crimes. Our game wardens used to have a rifle in their vehicle for dispatching wounded game, and now they all have personal sidearms and carbines as well.
Can't speak for the great white north, but here it feels like it's increased normalization of the idea of a police state, and the bootlickers just lap it up. Kind of ironic from the small government crowd but I can already tell this is one I'll have to agree to disagree on. I'm not even an anarchist either but you can't criticize the agents of capitalism unless you're in the right place so there we go.

Edit: That kind of looks like I was having a go at you there, I wasn't. I was just waxing lyrical, ignore me.

Last edited by SultanOfSwing; Aug 8th 2019 at 4:26 pm. Reason: cleared up in post
Old Aug 8th 2019, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The shouting and screaming on this thread is coming largely from those anxious to defend the actions of the police
And now the accusations of "shouting and screaming" (when theres been nothing of the sort) to make any counter opinion look like hysterics.

Jesus!! After over a decade on here have you not sussed that it doesnt work?
Old Aug 8th 2019, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Don't, it's a waste of time. The bigger issue is the reaction to the picture from the extremes of both opinions. Most of us are going to be fairly level headed and see it's got obvious connotations (that aren't just from movies - I mean, **** me, we're not that thick in here are we?)
YES!!!! Because where else did you get that mental image that this was connected to deep south 18th century slavery .... unless of course you are around 200 ****ing years old!

Naturally youll disagree but by all means tell me then where your greatest mental images of slavery come from if not Hollywood. Im expecting some bollocks that you got a better mental picture from book and your own imagination rather than the subliminal side effects of watching "12 Years A Slave" etc in the Odeon. If so name the books that were direct first hand experiences and not the imagination of some other luvvies written in tbe last 40 years.

Im all ears.

Last edited by The Rushman; Aug 8th 2019 at 5:54 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 6:46 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Rushman View Post
YES!!!!
Do you mind not shouting, please

Old Aug 8th 2019, 8:14 pm
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. The action was a symptom of a larger problem, but everyone (other than a couple of people on BE) seems to agree that it was wrong and officialdom has agreed, apologised, and taken steps. Good. Had the "fuss" not been created, it's likely that nothing would have come to light or been done. People should absolutely speak up loud and clear when they see stuff like this. The police work for us, and they are there to uphold the law for the benefit of all of us. Equally. They have authority by our consent, they are not our rulers.
The relevance to slavery is glaringly obvious and has struck a national nerve - again. If you have lived in the US at all, you will know how powerful an image like that is in the context of history and in the context of the current state of affairs for Black Americans. We have no idea what the coppers thought, but we can be pretty sure what they didn't think about, from the looks of it. Maybe that can't be understood by someone with no first-hand experience of the US, I've no idea, but here that sort of behaviour represents something that is real for millions.
Exactly where has anyone said a fuss shouldn't have been created about this? They wouldn't have realised their cock up unless it was. Had this thread been started before the apology then it'd be perfectly valid but it wasn't, it's just trolling.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 8:19 pm
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
So you're unfamiliar with the widely used FIFY then. Or even the concept of paraphrasing.

I'm just a tedious troll who started this thread just to cause yet another argument
Yeah I think I've nailed it.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 8:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Edit: That kind of looks like I was having a go at you there, I wasn't. I was just waxing lyrical, ignore me.
I've had to run from the police a few times, and I got away, and I've been tear gassed by the SWAT team, even though I wasn't the focus of that operation. They only admitted to throwing 1 canister into the house, and I have all 3 empties somewhere, clearly marked For Outdoor Use Only.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 8:40 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I've had to run from the police a few times, and I got away, and I've been tear gassed by the SWAT team, even though I wasn't the focus of that operation. They only admitted to throwing 1 canister into the house, and I have all 3 empties somewhere, clearly marked For Outdoor Use Only.
Holy shit, that can't have been fun.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:00 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Exactly where has anyone said a fuss shouldn't have been created about this?
There's more than one way to say a fuss shouldn't have been made.
How about
Some people search for racist connotations where there are none
Black guy on the end of a white guy's rope. In USA. No racist connotations?
Theres a bit of kneejerking going on
We're overreacting. We shouldn't make such a fuss.
"Assorted other triggernometry"
Just being triggered. No fuss necessary.
This is being used to stir up the forum and nothing more.
Fuss about nothing.
Strewth...and you say nobody has said a fuss shouldn't be made.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:11 pm
idealist

There's more than one way to say a fuss shouldn't have been made.
How about

Black guy on the end of a white guy's rope. In USA. No racist connotations?

We're overreacting. We shouldn't make such a fuss.

Just being triggered. No fuss necessary.

Fuss about nothing.
Strewth...and you say nobody has said a fuss shouldn't be made.
A relevant and effective fuss was made about this before you even started the thread. This is just an I'm Bristol, notice me thread.

Last edited by stevenglish1; Aug 8th 2019 at 9:15 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:42 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A relevant and effective fuss was made about this before you even started the thread. This is just an I'm Bristol, notice me thread.
I must remember we're not allowed to discuss anything that's already ben discussed in another place.

And BTW...I didn't start a thread on this news item, it was a general "I'm astounded thread" and I've already said that a couple of times too.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 10:07 pm
idealist

I must remember we're not allowed to discuss anything that's already ben discussed in another place.

And BTW...I didn't start a thread on this news item, it was a general "I'm astounded thread" and I've already said that a couple of times too.
You were just trulling, admit it.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 10:11 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly where has anyone said a fuss shouldn't have been created about this? They wouldn't have realised their cock up unless it was. Had this thread been started before the apology then it'd be perfectly valid but it wasn't, it's just trolling.
On this argument we had better close all the threads about brexit then. And, in fact, any news item. TIO is for discussing potentially tricky subjects. Why would there be a problem opening a thread to talk about a current news item that a poster finds shocking? If other posters find it too difficult to discuss, they can ignore the thread. I ignore stuff on here all the time
Old Aug 8th 2019, 10:12 pm
Hail Satan!

... close all the threads about brexit then ...
This, but unironically

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.