British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   I don't really know where to put this (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/i-dont-really-know-where-put-927002/)

paulry Aug 8th 2019 11:25 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12720267)
The shouting and screaming on this thread is coming largely from those anxious to defend the actions of the police :lol:

:lol: Makes me think of this sketch


scrubbedexpat098 Aug 8th 2019 11:30 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12720366)
:lol: Makes me think of this sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6iqKjPDGWE

:rofl: superb

jimenato Aug 8th 2019 11:40 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12720366)
:lol: Makes me think of this sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6iqKjPDGWE

Very good.:lol:

scrubbedexpat098 Aug 8th 2019 11:41 am

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12720360)
To paraphrase


Yes, of course they are. :rofl: Just an honest mistake.

So you did just post this to cause uproar then, nothing to do with exploring options. Firstly you're just a pathetic shit stirrer, and secondly don't go accusing anyone of misrepresenting or falsifying quotes again.

jimenato Aug 8th 2019 12:03 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720373)
So you did just post this to cause uproar then, nothing to do with exploring options. Firstly you're just a pathetic shit stirrer, and secondly don't go accusing anyone of misrepresenting or falsifying quotes again.

Flippin' 'eck!

Triggered or what?:lol:

BristolUK Aug 8th 2019 12:05 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720373)
So you did just post this to cause uproar then, nothing to do with exploring options. Firstly you're just a pathetic shit stirrer, and secondly don't go accusing anyone of misrepresenting or falsifying quotes again.

So you're unfamiliar with the widely used FIFY then. Or even the concept of paraphrasing. :lol:

As explained a couple of times already, I wasn't sure where to put it. It was newsworthy, hence the fact that it made the damn News.
Not sure why you have a problem with that.

Scamp Aug 8th 2019 12:19 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720357)
I'm not saying it is, but it would seem to be a huge **** up which they're genuinely sorry for. Now they know the ramifications, if they were to do it again they'd deserve everything they got.

I'd agree with all this. It seems fair enough that mistakes are made, apologised for and the world moves on.

jimenato Aug 8th 2019 12:24 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12720388)
I'd agree with all this. It seems fair enough that mistakes are made, apologised for and the world moves on.

Absolutely, although I find it astonishing that anyone could perpetrate such a howler - only in America, huh?

But the fact that people were initially outraged is entirely understandable.

And let's face it - many 'mistakes' made by American police and black people result in death.

This guy got off lightly.

caretaker Aug 8th 2019 1:05 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 
Suspicion of criminal trespass isn't much of a crime, and the fact that he's mentally ill may have had something to do with why he was supposedly trespassing, (wherever that was). The chief of police dealt with it immediately, the officers involved will no doubt be disciplined if they haven't been already. If it had been determined that they were doing this to intentionally mock a mentally ill person who hadn't even been charged with a crime I'd expect them to be transferred to a job that's not as much fun and out of the sun. Since the official explanation is that it was a stupid mistake, the conversation they had with their chief may be all they need. Police departments usually don't like to get in battles with their unions. Maybe it's time for some more sensitivity training. Leading a prisoner on a rope was only part of crowd control procedure and they might drop that method from training now. They'll still carry ropes because they need them to tie up their horses sometimes. Everyone should carry a rope; it's common sense.

DaveLovesDee Aug 8th 2019 1:11 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720314)
Shaking one's head in disbelief isn't outrage. The reference to slavery is in itself a huge straw man intended to make this issue bigger than Ben Hur, well it's not. They've apologized and have stopped the practice with immediate effect. Done and dusted.


Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720326)
Yeah whatever.

You won't see it in Texas again, because now they know it's not the done thing, it's called progression.

Where have the Police said it won't happen again? And how many times has it happened before if it's a 'trained technique'?

Lion in Winter Aug 8th 2019 1:15 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12720388)
I'd agree with all this. It seems fair enough that mistakes are made, apologised for and the world moves on.

Indeed. The action was a symptom of a larger problem, but everyone (other than a couple of people on BE) seems to agree that it was wrong and officialdom has agreed, apologised, and taken steps. Good. Had the "fuss" not been created, it's likely that nothing would have come to light or been done. People should absolutely speak up loud and clear when they see stuff like this. The police work for us, and they are there to uphold the law for the benefit of all of us. Equally. They have authority by our consent, they are not our rulers.

Lion in Winter Aug 8th 2019 1:23 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720302)
The very first reply referenced slavery for Christ's sake. The action deserves no outrage if it was the result of ignorance or stupidity. Perhaps these coppers didn't take his colour into consideration because they simply saw him as a law breaker. That would be a good thing.

The relevance to slavery is glaringly obvious and has struck a national nerve - again. If you have lived in the US at all, you will know how powerful an image like that is in the context of history and in the context of the current state of affairs for Black Americans. We have no idea what the coppers thought, but we can be pretty sure what they didn't think about, from the looks of it. Maybe that can't be understood by someone with no first-hand experience of the US, I've no idea, but here that sort of behaviour represents something that is real for millions.

SultanOfSwing Aug 8th 2019 2:50 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12720230)
These coppers were ignorant, insensitive, and pretty bloody stupid ...

In America, those are actually requirements for the job.

caretaker Aug 8th 2019 3:18 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12720453)
In America, those are actually requirements for the job.

They aren't all bad, I'm sure it's the same as here.

SultanOfSwing Aug 8th 2019 3:22 pm

Re: I don't really know where to put this
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12720470)
They aren't all bad, I'm sure it's the same as here.

I've never been a fan really, because they're generally sectarian ***** in Northern Ireland. The ones out here running around in their tacti-cool gear fetishizing The Punisher can lick my arse.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.