Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

I don't really know where to put this

I don't really know where to put this

Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't really know where to put this

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Are you me in a parallel universe or something? I was reading this at literally the same time as you and wondering how we got to this state of lack of care for our elderly.
Spooky timing coincidence!

So many different strands to that story, was his son unable to afford to place his father in a care home, was the apparent neglect (his parents sleeping on a mattress on the porch plus dumping his dad in the UK) brought on by carer fatigue or was he just cruel, the part played by the British man. Reading of the old gentleman's 'repatriation' to the US while heavily sedated, bloody heartbreaking. I had tears in my eyes when I read how much the staff in the Hereford nursing home loved the old gentleman, and then the condition the journalist found him in in the LA care home.

I don't know the answers, I only know that this poor soul deserved much better.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:19 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I've just read this extraordinary and very sad story of a US man with dementia being abandoned in the UK.
I remember an earlier report about that but not all the later information.

Old Nov 9th 2019, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

What a bizarre story. Poor man.

Facilities in the US for those who can't pay and end up in government care are not generally the best with under-staffing common, so while workers might care they can lack the resources to do their job. The care givers are often low salary as well with high turn over with not enough nurses.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I've just read this extraordinary and very sad story of a US man with dementia being abandoned in the UK. I'm still shaking my head, I find it so difficult to believe this could happen.

When an elderly American with dementia was found near Hereford in 2015, it created an extraordinary international puzzle. Who put him there, and why?
https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...ational-puzzle
Old Nov 9th 2019, 10:09 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
What a bizarre story. Poor man.

Facilities in the US for those who can't pay and end up in government care are not generally the best with under-staffing common, so while workers might care they can lack the resources to do their job. The care givers are often low salary as well with high turn over with not enough nurses.
After I read it I just wished he could have stayed in the nursing home in the UK. They all loved him and he seemed happy there.

Strange and very sad story. His son deserves to be punished for abandonment at the very least
Old Nov 9th 2019, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad the UK didn't file charges for something against the son. I would assume since the actual abandonment occurred in the UK, that charges would need to be laid there? Too bad he wasn't charged with something somewhere though, he should not get away with it.

In a way I guess it would have been better if nobody ever found out where the man came from so he could have stayed in the UK.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
After I read it I just wished he could have stayed in the nursing home in the UK. They all loved him and he seemed happy there.

Strange and very sad story. His son deserves to be punished for abandonment at the very least
Old Nov 9th 2019, 11:14 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Too bad the UK didn't file charges for something against the son. I would assume since the actual abandonment occurred in the UK, that charges would need to be laid there? Too bad he wasn't charged with something somewhere though, he should not get away with it.

In a way I guess it would have been better if nobody ever found out where the man came from so he could have stayed in the UK.
Exactly.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace