Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

I don't really know where to put this

I don't really know where to put this

Old Aug 8th 2019, 6:30 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't really know where to put this

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how desperate some people are to downplay, excuse and defend reprehensible behaviour. What sort of personal insecurity causes them to need their views to be validated constantly, to the point where they cannot accept any criticism of such behaviour?

A human being was treated in a disgraceful manner, and if you can't see the symbolism you are blind and ignorant of very recent US history. Equally, if you are not aware of the disparities between how white and black people are treated by the law, in everything from stop and search rates, arrest rates, police killings, standard of legal defense and sentencing then you need to educate yourself.
Don't, it's a waste of time. The bigger issue is the reaction to the picture from the extremes of both opinions. Most of us are going to be fairly level headed and see it's got obvious connotations (that aren't just from movies - I mean, **** me, we're not that thick in here are we?) that will not be well received. If you take that to the Nth degree it'll leave us in a pot of bollocks. If you react to that like some sort of right wing lunatic at the extreme we end up in another pot of bollocks.

Accepting a lack of judgment and not thinking is the best result from the cops. Fess up, acknowledge, apologise and move on. Job done.

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
No, it was an "all aboard the outrage bus" post, at least be honest about it. These coppers were ignorant, insensitive, and pretty bloody stupid but the fact that there was no malicious intent has just stumped you. They haven't gone into defence mode, they realise that that photo on its own is indefensible so they've just held their hands up and said, yep we really messed up here and it won't happen again. Pointless keeping this alive, as all it does is stir up even more racial tension.
You're close to being on the outrage bus pulling in the opposite direction. But you're spot on that the response is perfect.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 7:13 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You're close to being on the outrage bus pulling in the opposite direction. But you're spot on that the response is perfect.
I'm nowhere near triggered yet . This is being used to stir up the forum and nothing more. I'd imagine these cops are feeling ashamed that they've been so bloody stupid, that's a good thing.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 7:22 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm nowhere near triggered yet . This is being used to stir up the forum and nothing more. I'd imagine these cops are feeling ashamed that they've been so bloody stupid, that's a good thing.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 7:49 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

No one is defending their actions, just that those actions had no malicious intent behind them. No-one has denied the stupidity of what they did. No one is shouting or screaming either.
Has anybody said there was malicious intent either directly or implicitly?

The 'outrage' is about the action itself not the reason for the action. You could well be right that they acted through stupidity. No-one as far as I can see has said any differently.

You are fighting a straw man.

(Quite willing to be corrected as always if anyone can find a reference to the fact that these officers acted maliciously)
Old Aug 8th 2019, 8:29 am
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm nowhere near triggered yet .

It's TIO. If someone's not triggered, they aren't reading the posts.....
Old Aug 8th 2019, 8:31 am
idealist

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Has anybody said there was malicious intent either directly or implicitly?

The 'outrage' is about the action itself not the reason for the action. You could well be right that they acted through stupidity. No-one as far as I can see has said any differently.

You are fighting a straw man.

(Quite willing to be corrected as always if anyone can find a reference to the fact that these officers acted maliciously)
The very first reply referenced slavery for Christ's sake. The action deserves no outrage if it was the result of ignorance or stupidity. Perhaps these coppers didn't take his colour into consideration because they simply saw him as a law breaker. That would be a good thing.

Last edited by stevenglish1; Aug 8th 2019 at 8:47 am.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 8:56 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The very first reply referenced slavery for Christ's sake. The action deserves no outrage if it was the result of ignorance or stupidity. Perhaps these coppers didn't take his colour into consideration because they simply saw him as a law breaker. That would be a good thing.
Why does that mean that anyone thinks that the officer(s) acted maliciously?

The action certainly does deserve outrage if it was through stupidity.

"Jesus H Christ - how could they have been so ****ing stupid??"

Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:09 am
idealist

Why does that mean that anyone thinks that the officer(s) acted maliciously?

The action certainly does deserve outrage if it was through stupidity.

"Jesus H Christ - how could they have been so ****ing stupid??"
Shaking one's head in disbelief isn't outrage. The reference to slavery is in itself a huge straw man intended to make this issue bigger than Ben Hur, well it's not. They've apologized and have stopped the practice with immediate effect. Done and dusted.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:45 am
FreeThinker

Whatever.

Can't imagine coming across a scene like that here in rural Somerset or just about anywhere else come to that.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:52 am
idealist

Whatever.

Can't imagine coming across a scene like that here in rural Somerset or just about anywhere else come to that.
Yeah whatever.

You won't see it in Texas again, because now they know it's not the done thing, it's called progression.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 10:00 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorance isn't ever an excuse though is it....'sorry officer, didn't know the speed limit was 50'
Old Aug 8th 2019, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Rushman View Post
Dont rule out offendatrons that are merely virtue signalling through their protestations. It happens.
I must be getting old, I've never heard of offendatrons before, so I googled the word.

https://www.google.com/search?q=offe...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I saw under the "Videos" heading, the video name "Transformers" and clicked on that.....

Yep, that about sums the usual culprits up.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever.

Possibly because horses are generally only used for crowd control in the UK!!

Last time I was in Birmingham (UK) city centre, I saw three men at different times being taken by police down the pedestrian centre in 'cuffs' to a pickup point. (Presumably shoplifters).
One man acutely embarrassed had his cuffed hand hidden within the pocket of the officer. Another was waving the hand about in conversation with the officer!!! ----presumably a 'regular'!

Old Aug 8th 2019, 10:59 am
idealist

Ignorance isn't ever an excuse though is it....'sorry officer, didn't know the speed limit was 50'
I'm not saying it is, but it would seem to be a huge **** up which they're genuinely sorry for. Now they know the ramifications, if they were to do it again they'd deserve everything they got.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 11:13 am
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how desperate some people are to downplay, excuse and defend reprehensible behaviour
To paraphrase
Originally Posted by stevenglish1;Paulry;materialcontroller;Rushman
Triggered, virtue signalling snowflake!
...I'd imagine these cops are feeling ashamed that they've been so bloody stupid
Yes, of course they are. Just an honest mistake.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.