Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

I don't really know where to put this

I don't really know where to put this

Old Oct 11th 2019, 2:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't really know where to put this

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It was completely fine. Most people weren't interesting in the stupid running arguments we have here now.
That must have been really nice. I've given up on a lot of threads (and a few posters) because I'm buggered if I'm going to track back and see who's aligned themselves with whom and who said what - seems you're expected to do this before making a comment. Load of shit.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 2:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
That must have been really nice. I've given up on a lot of threads (and a few posters) because I'm buggered if I'm going to track back and see who's aligned themselves with whom and who said what - seems you're expected to do this before making a comment. Load of shit.

I don't bother with that much.

But yes, BE used to have a really friendly feel and was a place where expats could come for refuge where we knew there would be cultural understanding as we all worked to adapt to the foster countries' cultures.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 2:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

But yes, BE used to have a really friendly feel and was a place where expats could come for refuge where we knew there would be cultural understanding as we all worked to adapt to the foster countries' cultures.
I bother with it because I avoid people like that in real life so don't see why I should put up with them here. I have better things to do with my time. Sez she, switching her pc off and picking up a good book
Old Oct 11th 2019, 2:35 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I bother with it because I avoid people like that in real life so don't see why I should put up with them here. I have better things to do with my time. Sez she, switching her pc off and picking up a good book
Oh yes, there are definitely some people who need responding to because dishonest garbage needs responding to so the incautious don't read and believe it.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 4:54 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, there are definitely some people who need responding to because dishonest garbage needs responding to so the incautious don't read and believe it.
Exactly. If we don't correct the ignorant, their viewpoint will be taken by them as accepted as fact.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Exactly. If we don't correct the ignorant, their viewpoint will be taken by them as accepted as fact.
And certain things that are unacceptable should not be allowed to pass unchallenged.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 5:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

And certain things that are unacceptable should not be allowed to pass unchallenged.
And the fact that things have been done a certain way for so long must lend it some validity...
Old Oct 13th 2019, 6:43 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

You're one of my favourite posters because we have fundamental differences in many areas, but similarities in many others. It makes for interesting conversations and engages a way of thinking that's far easier to challenge my own thinking on certain things.

You're one of my favourite posters because you go to the Nth degree sometimes to prove people wrong / badly informed and it's ****ing amazing. Your EU knowledge is the absolute bomb and people should appreciate that insight.

Old Oct 13th 2019, 9:01 am
Jigsaw

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You're one of my favourite posters because you go to the Nth degree sometimes to prove people wrong / badly informed and it's ****ing amazing. Your EU knowledge is the absolute bomb and people should appreciate that insight.
Thanks. I didn't train as a lawyer like Bipat did, but I started to learn about EU law in 2013 when we started to look at EU free movement. And it snowballed.....Back then, there was little UK media information on our rights to live and work in other EU countries, so I read the European media and EU publications, and I learned more about other rights.

People don't like being proven wrong, apparently.... But, like the referendum, they'd rather continue to accept lies that appeal to emotion than to accept the cold truth. Not sure how to make facts emotionally appealing.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 9:17 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I didn't train as a lawyer like Bipat did, but I started to learn about EU law in 2013 when we started to look at EU free movement. And it snowballed.....Back then, there was little UK media information on our rights to live and work in other EU countries, so I read the European media and EU publications, and I learned more about other rights.

People don't like being proven wrong, apparently.... But, like the referendum, they'd rather continue to accept lies that appeal to emotion than to accept the cold truth. Not sure how to make facts emotionally appealing.
Fair play, it has always been impressive to be honest - more so that you know where to look to get the intel. That's a hard bit to master with any sort of legal framework / guidelines / rules system etc.

Idiots are idiots and won't believe facts if they don't want to.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.
You're one of my favourite posters because we have fundamental differences in many areas, but similarities in many others. It makes for interesting conversations and engages a way of thinking that's far easier to challenge my own thinking on certain things.
Absolutely so. DLD should get BE's 'most informed poster award' this year imo.

Self-education is always the most satisfying reward. And don't get intimidated by the professionally trained lawyer here; - after all, at any one time 50% of them are proven wrong.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 12:19 pm
Jigsaw

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Not me!. I don't 'do' awards

Self-education is always the most satisfying reward. And don't get intimidated by the professionally trained lawyer here; - after all, at any one time 50% of them are proven wrong.
Lawyers don't intimidate me much, the few I've dealt with have been great. Parliamentary Committee rooms have been intimidating in a sort of 'how the hell am I here' sort of feeling. This was one of the early reports I gave evidence for, and for which an immigration lawyer also giving evidence gave me pointers on where to find better information on EU free movement. https://appgmigration.org.uk/family-...-inquiry-2013/
Old Oct 13th 2019, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post

Lawyers "50% of them" are not "proven wrong" at any one time"!!! Criminal law barristers obviously lose 50% of cases as in the adversarial law system there is always a prosecution and defence!! Junior barristers do not often choose their cases.
Civil law system---- if a lawyer loses 50% of cases taken to court, he/she would be out of a job!
Old Oct 13th 2019, 2:15 pm

...they'd rather continue to accept lies that appeal to emotion than to accept the cold truth. Not sure how to make facts emotionally appealing.
Just about our entire national problem in a nutshell.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 2:17 pm

Agreed.

Likewise. And we can disagree, based on actually using our brains and without hurling playground insults at each other.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.