Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

I don't really know where to put this

I don't really know where to put this

Old Aug 7th 2019, 8:09 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't really know where to put this

Originally Posted by The Rushman View Post
You missed the point.
If they wouldve/had/do it with a white guy then theres no problem as far as i see in doing the same to a black guy.
That is to say that two cops on horses detaining a person dont have many options in restraining a suspect and a ton of stupid on reins.
Both were treated equally.

Some people search for racist connotations where tbere are none so they can be the first to virtue signal.

"Oh well have to let this theif/rapist/mugger go otherwise well look like a 17th century plantation owner".
Brilliant bit of policing.
No, you've missed the point.

Them doing it to a white guy is (in my opinion) not acceptable, because it's a really crappy thing to do to an individual. How many white guys have they done it to? How many black guys before? I wonder how often it even happens.
Do it to a black guy and the connotations are there for anyone to see. In doing so, there's a huge possibility of upsetting or offending a large group of people.

Anyone who goes searching to be offended or for those links doesn't deserve any sympathy. However I definitely don't think that this is people searching for connotations, I think this instance it's blindingly obvious that it's not acceptable.

The cops had options, I'm sure of it. Stand and wait for a car to come for starters. I don't know the finite details of the situation, but I'd say the choice the made was a pretty shit one.
Perhaps the cops are the least racist people on earth and didn't even realise this would look bad - kudos to them, but also wake up a bit. Remember where you are and the heat in the country you're in at the moment. Stop and ****ing think for a second.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 12:27 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Where to put this is probably in WTF in America, in the Trailer Park board.
Seems logical. I just wanted to put it in parts of the forum where'd I'd visit, so the Canada and general part.

It wasn't appropriate for the WTF here because of the murder addition and it was more what astounded me than pissed me off.
And it was too big for random.

So I thought a new thread where people could put things that didn't fit with other threads.

Trouble is, I forgot to say so when I posted it.

I must have been that astounded

Old Aug 7th 2019, 2:36 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 7th 2019, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
No, you've missed the point.
Them doing it to a white guy is (in my opinion) not acceptable, because it's a really crappy thing to do to an individual. How many white guys have they done it to? How many black guys before? I wonder how often it even happens.
Do it to a black guy and the connotations are there for anyone to see. In doing so, there's a huge possibility of upsetting or offending a large group of people.
Dont agree. None of us were around during tbe slavery period to claim this was a common practice. I think the idea that it was came from hollywood.
So its a grey area in that respect.
Furthermore, lets assume it was done .... Ill bet a pound to a pinch of shit it was also done to white criminals.

Anyone who goes searching to be offended or for those links doesn't deserve any sympathy. However I definitely don't think that this is people searching for connotations, I think this instance it's blindingly obvious that it's not acceptable.
Dont rule out offendatrons that are merely virtue signalling through their protestations. It happens.

The cops had options, I'm sure of it.
No youre not, youre assuming.

Stand and wait for a car to come for starters. I don't know the finite details of the situation, but I'd say the choice the made was a pretty shit one.
Perhaps the cops are the least racist people on earth and didn't even realise this would look bad - kudos to them, but also wake up a bit. Remember where you are and the heat in the country you're in at the moment. Stop and ****ing think for a second.
Youre fortunate in that your willibg to make a judgement without being in possession of the full facts.
I, however, prefer to hear both sides of a story rather than believe any old tripe internet article.

Last edited by The Rushman; Aug 7th 2019 at 2:51 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 2:52 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The cops had options, I'm sure of it. Stand and wait for a car to come for starters. I don't know the finite details of the situation, but I'd say the choice the made was a pretty shit one.
Do they carry the rope with them in case of times like this, or was it a spur of the moment decision? Had the suspect tripped, he wouldn't have been able to break his fall. That's a big safety no-no. He'd also have possibly dislocate his shoulders.

But, yes, they had options.
They could have waited for a vehicle transport.
One of the officers could have remained dismounted after handcuffing the suspect, and walked the suspect in while the other officer led the other horse.

But they chose neither option. I'd have had the same reaction whether the suspect was white, Hispanic, Black or tribal Indian, male or female, adult or child.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Do they carry the rope with them in case of times like this, or was it a spur of the moment decision? Had the suspect tripped, he wouldn't have been able to break his fall. That's a big safety no-no.

But, yes, they had options.
They could have waited for a vehicle transport.
One of the officers could have remained dismounted after handcuffing the suspect, and walked the suspect in while the other officer led the other horse.

But they chose neither option. I'd have had the same reaction whether the suspect was white, Hispanic, Black or tribal Indian, male or female, adult or child.
Im in kinda agreement.
There probavly were other options but there is also a possibilty that there wasnt.
I personally dont give a toss if he tripped.
My issue are
1. The unfounded automatic assumption that this was done because he was black and wouldnt have been done had he been white.
2. That the act itself was a realistic and deliberate attempt to glorify or nod towards slavery when theres littke evidence to suggest such an act was reserved just for blacks during that period.

Theres a bit of kneejerking going on without a wish for further clarification.

Old Aug 7th 2019, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Where to put this is probably in WTF in America, in the Trailer Park board.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/trai...27476/page521/
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Seems logical. I just wanted to put it in parts of the forum where'd I'd visit, so the Canada and general part.

It wasn't appropriate for the WTF here because of the murder addition and it was more what astounded me than pissed me off.
And it was too big for random.

So I thought a new thread where people could put things that didn't fit with other threads.

Trouble is, I forgot to say so when I posted it.

I must have been that astounded

It is fine in here. Now we have a ‘Don’t Know Where to Put This’ thread for miscellaneous items.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 5:18 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The cops had options, I'm sure of it. Stand and wait for a car to come for starters.
No youre not, youre assuming.
Well, perhaps you could have read the statement from the police chief involved who said “First and foremost I must apologize to Mr Neely for this unnecessary embarrassment.... I believe our officers showed poor judgment in this instance and could have waited for a transport unit at the location of arrest."
Unnecessary, poor judgement and could have waited. Seems clear enough.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 5:22 pm
Jigsaw

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

My issues are
1. The unfounded automatic assumption that this was done because he was black and wouldnt have been done had he been white.
2. That the act itself was a realistic and deliberate attempt to glorify or nod towards slavery when theres littke evidence to suggest such an act was reserved just for blacks during that period.

Theres a bit of kneejerking going on without a wish for further clarification.
Plenty of white folk got lynched in the old Westerns too.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 5:31 pm
A girly swot

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
It is fine in here. Now we have a ‘Don’t Know Where to Put This’ thread for miscellaneous items.
I was going to ask that something be inserted in the opening comment as I intended, but I'm now wondering if a change of title might be better.

Astounding acts of stupidity

Did they really think that was okay?

What happened to clear thinking?

Astounding feats and fails.

Yes, maybe that last one. It allows for more possibilities and embraces a current word used in YouTube compilations. Fails.

Old Aug 7th 2019, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I was going to ask that something be inserted in the opening comment as I intended, but I'm now wondering if a change of title might be better.

Astounding acts of stupidity

Did they really think that was okay?

What happened to clear thinking?

Astounding feats and fails.

Yes, maybe that last one. It allows for more possibilities and embraces a current word used in YouTube compilations. Fails.
How about "Assorted other triggernometry"?
Old Aug 7th 2019, 6:18 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
How about "Assorted other triggernometry"?
Old Aug 7th 2019, 6:36 pm
Jigsaw

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Someone's taken offence..... Put that bloody fence back!!
Old Aug 7th 2019, 6:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It never ceases to amaze me how desperate some people are to downplay, excuse and defend reprehensible behaviour. What sort of personal insecurity causes them to need their views to be validated constantly, to the point where they cannot accept any criticism of such behaviour?

A human being was treated in a disgraceful manner, and if you can't see the symbolism you are blind and ignorant of very recent US history. Equally, if you are not aware of the disparities between how white and black people are treated by the law, in everything from stop and search rates, arrest rates, police killings, standard of legal defense and sentencing then you need to educate yourself.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Someone's taken offence..... Put that bloody fence back!!

"How to build offence and other DIY construction projects"

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.