Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

I Britain a Hellhole

I Britain a Hellhole

Old May 27th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of
Default I Britain a Hellhole

Any of you Brits moved back home and think - oh my god whats happened to this place? In the British papers we get here in NZ its all doom and gloom.
We went back for a visit last aug and it just felt the same as ever. We are returning back permanent later this year. I would like to know your thoughts.

Last edited by lizard; May 27th 2008 at 11:35 am.
Old May 27th 2008, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Britain a Hellhole

I think too many peope rely on the Daily Fail for their opinions about what is happening to the country and not enough time opening their eyes and seeing what is in front of them. What is happening in UK is happening pretty much across the world at the moment.
Old May 27th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
I think too many peope rely on the Daily Fail for their opinions about what is happening to the country and not enough time opening their eyes and seeing what is in front of them. What is happening in UK is happening pretty much across the world at the moment.
I think you are right there. And has you rightly point out the Daily Fail does have a lot to answer for. Negative propaganda.
Old May 27th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
I agree with you quoll, but people do love to knock the UK as if it has the worst crime, worst weather, worst everything...its a national or should I say international pastime... good job us brits have a remarkable sense of humour?? Ho Hum, tomorrows chip paper and all that!
Old May 27th 2008, 11:39 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
Any of you Brits moved back home and think - oh my god whats happened to this place? In the British papers we get here in NZ its all doom and gloom.
We went back for a visit last aug and it just felt the same. We are returning back permanent later this year. I would like to know your thoughts.
I've been back from the Uk for just over a month after a 2 week holiday and no didn't find it doom and gloom at all. As I said in my thread I did about my trip I could only comment on the areas I visited which were Bucks, Norwich and West London. In fact I found the places I visited had stepped up a level since we moved to Oz but I also think the UK in general has alot of problems to get to grips with just like alot of other developed nations have.

I agree with the other posters that the Daily Fail has alot to answer for but Britain is most certainly not a hellhole. SOME PARTS of Britain probably are total shite places to live but the majority are not.

I just don't understand it when posters (not getting at you BTW) refer to the UK/Britain as a sh**thole/dump/ blah blah. It implies they know every area and what it is like there when the reality is they are spouting the same old cr*p the Daily Fail spouts day in an day out in an effort to justify why they are moving to Australia/Canada/NZ or whereever.

The bottom line is that people on MBTTUK forum have done their homework and are happy to move back to the UK warts n all.

Just out of interest why are you going back?
Old May 27th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been going back to the UK every, 2 months, from Canada, and I've been trying to find signs of this so called "sh*thole" I've been everywhere from Newcastle, to Brighton, and London, on trains, cars and planes. I've been to pubs, parks, shops, and offices. All I see is a vibrant, safe interesting and wealthy society.

I just don't understand the negativity, maybe its people who would be unhappy anywhere
Old May 27th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura about

I have been going back to the UK every, 2 months, from Canada, and I've been trying to find signs of this so called "sh*thole" I've been everywhere from Newcastle, to Brighton, and London, on trains, cars and planes. I've been to pubs, parks, shops, and offices. All I see is a vibrant, safe interesting and wealthy society.

I just don't understand the negativity, maybe its people who would be unhappy anywhere
Visiting is one thing. When you live here you have to engage with public services and other facilties. That is when you understand the changes.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yarpy View Post
Visiting is one thing. When you live here you have to engage with public services and other facilties. That is when you understand the changes.
Rubbish
Old May 27th 2008, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura about

Rubbish
And your point is?
Old May 27th 2008, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We went back for a visit last aug and it just felt the same as ever. We are returning back permanent later this year. I would like to know your thoughts.
I hear from others about how crap UK is, i pay no attention. It can't please everyone.
When i went back in Oct it was exactly the same, if not better....as i thought the shops were great, didn't realise how good they were over there. Spoilt for choice. I appreciate things more now, so all in all i'm a better person for it
Old May 27th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

I worked for the NHS in the UK and the so called service I am expected to provide here is second rate compared to my old area.

Britain is not a Hellhole but does have some bloody awful areas just like most other countries. Lets be honest here the way the media reports issues in Australia is so much different than the UK. I watch the news each night and get sick of the political rubbish that is banded about very little is EVER said about what goes on in aboriginal communities its like a forgotten world. If I hadn't done some research on the country before I came I often wonder if I would know if the Indiginous communities ever existed. Where's the good news the crime or the continued racism articles that the Indiginous community endure. Cos I certainly dont see it on any news here in Queensland. But that wouldnt do would it it doesnt fit with the sterile glossy image most people believe Australia to be unless of course you scratch the surface.
Just MY opinion of course
Old May 27th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yarpy View Post
I totally agree but my whole business is based in the UK along withmost of my friends and all of my family. I speak to many customers, sometimes it seems that I'm in the UK more than I'm in Canada, so I reckon I got a pretty decent idea.

In fact you could almost say that I have a foot in both countries I think that gives me a pretty good platform to compare one country with another as opposed to someone in the UK who has never lived abroad and is just having a moan.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:30 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Any country could be described as a hellhole really - its a very subjective term. One person's hellhole is another person's paradise......
Old May 27th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent alot of the last two years in what people do describe as a hellhole - and even this isn't really a hellhole - I would categorically say no, it isnt

The worst thing about the UK is the attitude though, I get really pissed with people these days. My cousins husband is just like this - they are selling up, cashing in and setting up near Saskatoon. What? You can buy a house outright, moving from Oxfordshire to *the middle of nowhere*, really? God, you dont say!

Frikkin idiot, I just hope the whole thing doesn't go tit's up too badly, she's never struck me as the homestead type.
Old May 27th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles View Post
Having spent alot of the last two years in what people do describe as a hellhole - and even this isn't really a hellhole - I would categorically say no, it isnt

The worst thing about the UK is the attitude though, I get really pissed with people these days. My cousins husband is just like this - they are selling up, cashing in and setting up near Saskatoon. What? You can buy a house outright, moving from Oxfordshire to *the middle of nowhere*, really? God, you dont say!

Frikkin idiot, I just hope the whole thing doesn't go tit's up too badly, she's never struck me as the homestead type.
I think people really have no idea what they are getting themselves into half the time. Why do people automatically think that anywhere is better than the UK.

As for Canada, Anyone who is thinking of living here should try it for a winter, especially out in Saskatoon, minus 40 degrees wipes the smiles of a lot of faces

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.