Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

How much of this is TRUE??!!

How much of this is TRUE??!!

Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much of this is TRUE??!!

Originally Posted by Niceblokey View Post
First off I am not racist
Nobody ever thinks they are racist and everyone thinks they have a great sense of humour.

Btw 'Great' Britain differentiates the coutry from Brittany historically, it doesn't mean 'well cool'
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Niceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lorry1 View Post
I agree there are alot of benefit scroungers in the UK that should just get off their fat, lazy backsides and get jobs. There are also people on benefits who have lost their job, maybe not by choice. Their are people that just have no choice to be on benefits for a while.
I'm glad to see it's getting back on track and am not being flamed like last time......YET!

Yes, when I talk about benefit scroungers, I am indeed talking about the ones who live on for no reason at all. There's nothing wrong with them, but that's what they enjoy and it's their life to them.

Other people who have worked and lost jobs or have tried to support themselves, are in a different game. When you need help, it's a no go.

I can give you examples of stuff I seen in the job center, i can give you a story of my argument to a woman in the job center, and then it ended up with another woman involved and so give her a piece of my mind.

Did I get Job Seekers Allowance that fortnight to help pay my bills and mortgage, did I eck. And all I did was follow advice from one of the other woman who worked there, but couldn't see her to fetch her in on the argument.

Did the chav next to me with designer clothes, big bling and rings on his fingers with a baseball cap get his money? No doubt he did.

I am looking forward to comming over and getting a real eye opener. The thing I can't wait for is to start speaking to see peoples reactions. I speak normal, but am Welsh english, so my accent is like Tom Jones - Shirley Bassey, but not so deep as Shirly's. Here in the UK, I don't want to speak out of my city as we are looked at as being dull and a bunch of sheep sh**ers from the hills and the farms. Saying that scotland hasn't always had good press with us, but when it came for booking a holiday with the sun (cheapy caravan stuff) we went to scotland. Thought it can't be bad as Lorraine Kelly comes from there. Anyway we were surprised how nice people were and our accents were commented on for sounding beautiful and makes us have an identity.

BTW scotland is nice, all round, even glasgow and edinburgh.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its the painting of large diverse groups of people with lazy stereotypes I dont like, without bothering to think about first, do they ALL behave that way, and second, why that might be.

Plus the fact that most of us still have a connection to the UK, family, friends and that, and we know there are certainly parts of it that are perfectly nice to live in, so posting in a manner that would have the casual observer think that the whole country has gone to the dogs is going to be a hard sell.

Then add in the idea that Canada is going to be remarkably different and the credibility gap grows yet wider, as some of us actually do live in Canada

Going pack to post #1, How much is true? Not a lot. Its true for a small minority, generally not those from the UK. The fact that the website name is on the *** filter might be taken as a clue that its not considered a great source of information around here.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 24th 2011 at 9:46 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:44 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink View Post
Why is this a bad thing?
Salman Rushdie, South park, a director and a bunch of Spanish newspapers.

All instances should've been dismissed for their vulgarity and promptly ignored, however all 4 resulted in fatwas. One sucesfully. I dont even need to translate that. The world produces offensive people - true story. Does this mean when they open their mouths they should be killed by a draconian religion that will be eventually heaped upon Charles Darwins bonfire and consigned to the embarrassment of the human condition that had us worshipping the sun?

@niceblokey
What you've got to remember niceblokey is that those on benefits aren't making wise decisions. Theyll still have a council flat when they're 30 snorting coke with their 15 year old daughters in a crap part of town barely able to afford fags. Just move on with your life and try to get to the burbs where theres a bit of respect and community. What I would say though is there are nice parts of the Uk where you can get what you're after.

Beaconsfield, Winchester, St Albans, Berkhamsted are beautiful with great sense of community. If youre up for a change of scenary Scotland has some great places, the people are very friendly and fantastic sense of community. Would have to get used to being ribbed for being a limey though. I wish I had done a trade instead of computer science. My degree has almost forced me to work in big cities whereas as a plumber you can go to places where jobs are scarce, community is nice but you can get a job or even start your own business.

Its frustrating to say the least having family on benefits. My mate works hard and almost broke down a few years back saying "I work so hard and get f all. My brother crashes cars deliberately and claims whiplash and gets 10k payouts".

Last edited by zRichi; Mar 24th 2011 at 10:09 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi View Post
Salman Rushdie, South park, a director and a bunch of Spanish newspapers.

All instances should've been dismissed for their vulgarity and promptly ignored, however all 4 resulted in fatwas. One sucesfully. I dont even need to translate that. The world produces offensive people - true story. Does this mean when they open their mouths they should be killed by a draconian religion that will be eventually heaped upon Charles Darwins bonfire and consigned to the embarrassment of the human condition that had us worshipping the sun?
I think the question was more directed at why native britons should not endeavor to avoid offence in small localised ways, which seems to be the intent of most forms of "political correctness"

On the one hand it would be considered plain politeness to be considerate, but then on the other hand learning to deal with other peoples views and attitudes is part of the challenge of living in a different country. That goes for brits in Canada just as much as it should for indians in the UK. Give and take on both sides should be the order of the day.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 24th 2011 at 10:17 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Josephliam is on a distinguished road

This saddens me so much, you really don't have a clue blokey.

You are moving to Canada for pretty much the same reason the groups of people you have discriminated against moved from there own country.

How hypocritical of you, you think its fine for you to seek a better life in Canada but dont afford thoses who try this in the UK the opportunity.

You will be surprised when you move here that people will have misconceptions about you, they will label you wrongly based on there own perceptions of the British. You will be upset i guarantee. However please stop to think about the horrible rant and xenophobia you have exhibited on this forum and you may realise that sometimes people need to take step to expand there knowledge before blasting other people.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

They cant when you take even a leisurely glance over my family tree.

My grandad was vietnamese, my gran is indian and my great grandad was Chinese. My great grandad on the other side was French. Im sure if I delved even slightly further back my genetics would be spread even further across the planet.

Its an important thing to mention because otherwise youre post wouldve just said "racist", as is the most comon tactic amongst the left wing middle classes when discussing concerns at our immigration levels. Not to say I ever really discuss them tbh, Im just playing devils advocate.
A family tree of diverse ethnic backgrounds doesn't preclude racism. I'm not accusing any of your family of being racist, but to suggest they can't possibly be just because they come from different places is illogical.

To assume I'm left wing middle class is upsetting
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:13 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Josephliam View Post
This saddens me so much, you really don't have a clue blokey.

You are moving to Canada for pretty much the same reason the groups of people you have discriminated against moved from there own country.

How hypocritical of you, you think its fine for you to seek a better life in Canada but dont afford thoses who try this in the UK the opportunity.

You will be surprised when you move here that people will have misconceptions about you, they will label you wrongly based on there own perceptions of the British. You will be upset i guarantee. However please stop to think about the horrible rant and xenophobia you have exhibited on this forum and you may realise that sometimes people need to take step to expand there knowledge before blasting other people.
Well said.

There's so many on here that have found it difficult to get on with Canadians and find themselves isolated, so form meet up groups and have a large circle of expat friends. That's because they have a common bond - something to chat about.

How is that any different from "Mulsims and Sikhs" all clubbing together - or any group of people that have moved to a new country.

Being an immigrant taught me a lot about how to treat other immigrants, and how they might feel.

You should try extending the olive branch and walking a mile in someones shoes before you speak.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post
A family tree of diverse ethnic backgrounds doesn't preclude racism.
Didnt Hitler have a Jewish grandfather or something? Look, I mentioned Hitler, that mean this thread has run its full course now doesnt it
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops View Post
You should try extending the olive branch and walking a mile in someones shoes before you speak.
However if you're going to do this. Don't forget to give them their shoes back when you're finished.

I'll get me coat.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not, I'd think. But are you singling out one religion as being pottier than the rest?

(Note that I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Middle Classes)
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Niceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to allNiceblokey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
I think the claims made here are weak. Mohammed may be the most popular name for new born boys but that doesn't make it the most popular for all boys. The popularity of this name says nothing about the relative number of Muslims and Sikhs in the UK, certainly not "more than us british" and, in any case, the condition of being British is not exclusive of being Muslim nor Sikh. The evidence cited is from a notoriously unreliable and biased source.

All in all, a feeble effort.
What I mean by this, this is the most popular name for new born boys. Now given the choice, how many british citizens would call their new born Mohammed? It would come from the family that has these names as the normal. I'm british, and my name is David. David is just a normal name in the UK. Now I understand the way I'm thinking of this, but then again, no doubt it's going to offend someone.

The sources aren't just the daily mail, it's also the telegraph, catholic culture, bbc and most of all Fox News.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What I mean by this, this is the most popular name for new born boys. Now given the choice, how many british citizens would call their new born Mohammed? It would come from the family that has these names as the normal. I'm british, and my name is David. David is just a normal name in the UK. Now I understand the way I'm thinking of this, but then again, no doubt it's going to offend someone.

The sources aren't just the daily mail, it's also the telegraph, catholic culture, bbc and most of all Fox News.
Where to begin.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What I mean by this, this is the most popular name for new born boys. Now given the choice, how many british citizens would call their new born Mohammed?
Very many of them, it seems, just like Canadians.

I genuinely slapped my head at this before starting to giggle. Well done, sir!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

What I mean by this, this is the most popular name for new born boys. Now given the choice, how many british citizens would call their new born Mohammed?
Most of the muslim ones apparently.... thats kind of the point

"Muslim" does not equate to "Not British".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.