Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Old Oct 15th 2020, 10:38 am
  #781  
So long...
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,013
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Maybe Harry should have stayed single, had a long-term secret affair with a married woman which continued after he later got married, then married the 'other woman' after the death of his wife.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 10:20 am
  #782  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,825
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Yes, that's sort of the point and what we've been trying to tell you - that it's nothing to do with her race. Brits love to bash the royals if their behaviour isn't what most consider acceptable, I guess in part because they are representing our country, and because the taxpayers contribute towards them. The media has always been vile to the royals, frankly Kate got far worse treatment than Meghan ever did from the tabloids, but the difference is she just ignored it instead of whinging about it endlessly when there are actual problems in the world. Now she's viewed positively by them but it took a long time to earn their respect and get those positive headlines. Even Diana was vilified by the press and public at various stages.



.
I think you are partially right. I agree you're right that many Brits do respond to the Royals with a certain amount of antagonism. But that is only one side of the coin. And it still doesn't explain all the extremely derogatory comments against Meghan when she and Kate were compared for doing similar task or actions. And certainly does not explain the xenophobia and racist comments directed "specifically" toward Meghan. I am glad they decided to leave the UK. The separation from living over there has given both Harry and Meghan a sense of peace.
I think sometimes there is a tendency to lump all types of behavior together as being no worse than any other. But there is a difference being called a term to reference one's character or behavior versus being attacked for being foreign born or being referenced for one's gender or ethnicity. Some low blows are just not acceptable. I was talking to this very lovely British lady before relocating to Michigan for the canvassing effort. She happens to be a snowbird, splits her time between Florida and the UK. And she expressed to me her admiration for the Queen and all the good deeds she has done over the years. She seem to have a high opinion of the institution in general.

But she told me that it was her opinion some time ago that Meghan was never going to be accepted in the UK. There were three reasons why in time, she felt, people would turn against her, Meghan being an actress would make many Brits suspect her sincerity, her being American would over time make many dislike her if she seem different from previous wife's of Royals, and the third reason she didn't want to say. But she said the third reason was obvious.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 11:53 am
  #783  
BE Forum Addict
 
zzrmark's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Palmetto, Florida
Posts: 2,920
zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
But she told me that it was her opinion some time ago that Meghan was never going to be accepted in the UK. There were three reasons why in time, she felt, people would turn against her, Meghan being an actress would make many Brits suspect her sincerity, her being American would over time make many dislike her if she seem different from previous wife's of Royals, and the third reason she didn't want to say. But she said the third reason was obvious.
Poppycock. It's not because she was a two bit actress that people suspected her sincerity, her previous actions spoke for her sincerity.

The American difference I can agree with, previous wives of royalty tend to have links with the 'establishment' even if they don't have blue blood and know the ins and outs, Meghan not only had that against her but her whole (US) cultural upbringing is alien to most Brits. As an example, my lovely lady has a far better academic pedigree than I could ever hope for (and ranks as one of the most intelligent people I've ever met) with a photographic memory and a beautiful character but she just cannot master the proper use of a knife and fork, an Americanism that I find totally bewildering. Americans are taught to chase the dollar from day one which gives them a totally different approach to life from the more laisse faire Europeans.
Meghan has been used to controlling how her life is run and how much of her dirty laundry gets aired in public, easy when you aren't an A lister, but that control just isn't there when you hit the jackpot for a 'job' in the limelight. If, as an average Sheila, you like to get your tits out in the privacy of your own backyard, suck toes or shag gingers when you are married it's very unlikely to end up all over the front page of the tabloids, that sort of thing just doesn't stay in the closet for long when the guttersnipes follow your every move.

As for racism, give me a break.Most Brits don't give a stuff if you have the skin tone of Meghan, many of them spend their vacations in Spain trying to attain that colour. If skin colour or interracial marriage were so taboo then why don't the press slate Amal Clooney, Dawn French (when she was married to Lenny Henry) or the rash of other popular celebs who didn't marry the kid next door?
zzrmark is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 12:29 pm
  #784  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,386
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
Poppycock. It's not because she was a two bit actress that people suspected her sincerity, her previous actions spoke for her sincerity.

The American difference I can agree with, previous wives of royalty tend to have links with the 'establishment' even if they don't have blue blood and know the ins and outs, Meghan not only had that against her but her whole (US) cultural upbringing is alien to most Brits. As an example, my lovely lady has a far better academic pedigree than I could ever hope for (and ranks as one of the most intelligent people I've ever met) with a photographic memory and a beautiful character but she just cannot master the proper use of a knife and fork, an Americanism that I find totally bewildering. Americans are taught to chase the dollar from day one which gives them a totally different approach to life from the more laisse faire Europeans.
Meghan has been used to controlling how her life is run and how much of her dirty laundry gets aired in public, easy when you aren't an A lister, but that control just isn't there when you hit the jackpot for a 'job' in the limelight. If, as an average Sheila, you like to get your tits out in the privacy of your own backyard, suck toes or shag gingers when you are married it's very unlikely to end up all over the front page of the tabloids, that sort of thing just doesn't stay in the closet for long when the guttersnipes follow your every move.

As for racism, give me a break.Most Brits don't give a stuff if you have the skin tone of Meghan, many of them spend their vacations in Spain trying to attain that colour. If skin colour or interracial marriage were so taboo then why don't the press slate Amal Clooney, Dawn French (when she was married to Lenny Henry) or the rash of other popular celebs who didn't marry the kid next door?

Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 12:38 pm
  #785  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,156
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
And it still doesn't explain all the extremely derogatory comments against Meghan when she and Kate were compared for doing similar task or actions.
Again, Kate had FAR worse treatment in the press than Meghan did. As did her family who were ripped to shreds and weren't even the ones dating William. I can't actually think of a royal family member that hasn't been slated in the press at one time or another, mostly for daft reasons (Andrew excepted in that, obviously). Everybody else just kept their head down, got on with the job and rode it out.

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Meghan being an actress would make many Brits suspect her sincerity, her being American would over time make many dislike her if she seem different from previous wife's of Royals, and the third reason she didn't want to say. But she said the third reason was obvious.
So many royal family members have dated actors before, including Prince Charles, but suddenly you think Meghan being one is an issue? Other royal family members have married foreign spouses and again, not an issue. Other than one idiotic radio presenter (who was fired), there wasn't any racism directed at her. Frankly, most Brits couldn't have cared if she was bright purple, and the only mentions I ever saw of her race were always in a positive light. None of those things have had anything to do with the public or media view of her - her behaviour has.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 1:25 pm
  #786  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 16,605
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Again, Kate had FAR worse treatment in the press than Meghan did. As did her family who were ripped to shreds and weren't even the ones dating William. I can't actually think of a royal family member that hasn't been slated in the press at one time or another, mostly for daft reasons (Andrew excepted in that, obviously). Everybody else just kept their head down, got on with the job and rode it out.



So many royal family members have dated actors before, including Prince Charles, but suddenly you think Meghan being one is an issue? Other royal family members have married foreign spouses and again, not an issue. Other than one idiotic radio presenter (who was fired), there wasn't any racism directed at her. Frankly, most Brits couldn't have cared if she was bright purple, and the only mentions I ever saw of her race were always in a positive light. None of those things have had anything to do with the public or media view of her - her behaviour has.
Yep. I never saw Meghan Markle have to fight her way through 30 paparazzi to get to her car, as Kate Middleton did on her 25th birthday.

And Sarah Ferguson, who some of the less salubrious press decided was to be known as the Duchess of Pork.

Markle's neither special nor different. Nor is the gutter press representative of an entire nation.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 1:33 pm
  #787  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 18,227
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

I tend to think that some male posters secretly wished Andrew would marry Koo Stark and then The Sun to show her tits on page 3.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 1:37 pm
  #788  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 58,019
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I tend to think that some male posters secretly wished Andrew would marry Koo Stark and then The Sun to show her tits on page 3.


Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 1:43 pm
  #789  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 16,605
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I tend to think that some male posters secretly wished Andrew would marry Koo Stark and then The Sun to show her tits on page 3.
Some probably wish that now, but at 63 she's about 50 years too old for Andrew.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 2:35 pm
  #790  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 5,979
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Without question both Harry & Meghan made their share of mistakes. It was probably inevitable or at the very least difficult not to get a few decisions wrong while taking on a vastly new change of life dynamic, and attempting to figure out how to retain some semblance of normal life. But when you can't go back you just have to move forward and that is what they appear to be doing quite well. I think their new Netflix deal will afford them to be self sustaining but without having to be the subject of their projects. They are essentially Producers and hopefully they will put forward interesting and entertaining stories. The deal they struck is similar to the function which attracted the Obama's to Netflix. Putting together a media company which focuses on interesting relevant and inspiring material. You can tell that Meghan & Harry both made this deal happen. Together they are a powerhouse. Good for them. Harry married well!
Their professional victimhood and hypocrisy is not only a bad example but an insult to people who have real problems and struggles.
morpeth is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 3:04 pm
  #791  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,386
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I tend to think that some male posters secretly wished Andrew would marry Koo Stark and then The Sun to show her tits on page 3.
I think one of the main reasons Harry was allowed to marry the once or twice divorced Meghan, was because of how the RF have meddled in their kids’ lives. Had Princess Margaret been allowed to marry Townsend, Andrew marry Koo Stark and Charles marry Camilla when they were young, they may have lived happily ever after. Instead there have been divorces, scandals, toe sucking and that journey through the tunnel in Paris. Plus of course they felt guilty/sorry for him after Diana’s death.

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Their professional victimhood and hypocrisy is not only a bad example but an insult to people who have real problems and struggles.
Had they moved away from the UK and kept their heads down, they would not have received all the criticism they have. Instead they put out patronizing videos, moaning about how she has become victimized.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 16th 2020 at 3:12 pm. Reason: To add another post
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 3:15 pm
  #792  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,135
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
So many royal family members have dated actors before, including Prince Charles, but suddenly you think Meghan being one is an issue?.
I don't think you can liken dating someone to marrying them.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 4:05 pm
  #793  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,567
Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I think one of the main reasons Harry was allowed to marry the once or twice divorced Meghan, was because of how the RF have meddled in their kids’ lives. Had Princess Margaret been allowed to marry Townsend, Andrew marry Koo Stark and Charles marry Camilla when they were young, they may have lived happily ever after. Instead there have been divorces, scandals, toe sucking and that journey through the tunnel in Paris. Plus of course they felt guilty/sorry for him after Diana’s death.



Had they moved away from the UK and kept their heads down, they would not have received all the criticism they have. Instead they put out patronizing videos, moaning about how she has become victimized.
Yes - the constant complaining/moaning is becoming tiresome.
Derrygal is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 4:12 pm
  #794  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,156
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I don't think you can liken dating someone to marrying them.
My point is that her being an actress isn't an issue, plenty have passed through the royal family before.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Had they moved away from the UK and kept their heads down, they would not have received all the criticism they have. Instead they put out patronizing videos, moaning about how she has become victimized.
Exactly. If they genuinely wanted privacy, they could have achieved that pretty easily, but clearly that was never the intention. And the 'woe is me' act is wearing rather thin on most people's patience given so many are struggling with far more pressing issues.

christmasoompa is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 4:12 pm
  #795  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,386
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry & Meghan are ‘stepping back’

Originally Posted by Derrygal View Post
Yes - the constant complaining/moaning is becoming tiresome.
She would have been best to stick to writing messages on bananas...her videos are excruciating.
Jerseygirl is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.