Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

guns own/firearms

guns own/firearms

Old May 7th 2012, 3:25 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: guns own/firearms

Originally Posted by SATX John View Post
...I do agree with you they go to jail, but not ban guns.
Yet not that many people have actually asked for guns to be banned.

Better gun control laws and for folks to dispel the daft idea that gun ownership is going to improve your home defences, yes.

If you live in a high crime, shit hole, chances of crime are high, having a gun doesn't improve things.

If you think everyone is out to get you, you're mentally paranoid and not in a fit state to own a gun in the first place.

For anything else, guns are for sport and having fun, but safely.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post
Ban guns and a whole bunch of people probably won't die or get maimed in non-crime related incidents.

The argument against is that criminals don't play by those rules and will still have guns.

I have news people. THEY HAVE THEM NOW!!!

So the argument then shifts to having them for self protection... The kind that results in a lot of accidental deaths.

And situations where you aren't in a position to respond with your weapon... e.g middle of the night, with you half asleep, and the gun not close at hand, nor loaded...unless you sleep with it under the pillow, loaded

Not a society I fancy living in...

Luckily the number of gun owners seems to be dropping, but those with the guns have many. That's some protection!!!

As for protection against the Feds - grow up, we all know they put stuff in the water & beam signals in to our brains. They won't do a full frontal assault... They'll just bore us all to death without us even knowing ... Reality TV, Fox News - the truth is out there...
Not really: http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/se...hest-1993.aspx

That is reported, so those that fear the govt are not included:

The interesting bit is down the page showing in the NE it increased 13% in one year.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/gun-s...ry?id=16073797

If you own stocks you are doing well, gun sales are off the chart.

Your point on criminals and guns: If guns are criminal only criminals will have guns. Leaving you well .... you know what I think.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Yet not that many people have actually asked for guns to be banned.

Better gun control laws and for folks to dispel the daft idea that gun ownership is going to improve your home defences, yes.

If you live in a high crime, shit hole, chances of crime are high, having a gun doesn't improve things.

If you think everyone is out to get you, you're mentally paranoid and not in a fit state to own a gun in the first place.

For anything else, guns are for sport and having fun, but safely.
Really Bob, several members have said just that thing. If the laws on the books were followed then, I am OK with that. More regs do not equal safety from criminals. Those that break the law are by definition criminals. That is what we hear from the other side of the aisle. They (D) try the sporting gun arguement, but then every gun fun to shoot is outlawed, like in 1994.

Never said "everyone" there are several very sensible members on the board, and some not so. Esp the ones name calling, what is that?

In a high crime area I disagree, you need it more than a low crime area, remeber they are criminals, and do not follow your rules.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
All those figures are pulled directly from the CDC website in the National Center for Injury and prevention control - I thought that was the one you were quoting. http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_us.html.
You can search away to your hearts content on age, cause of death, manner of death (ie whether homicide, accidental, whatever)

Thank you, I didn't know about that site. It allows much more narrow searching by age range.

So for age < 14, the numbers are exactly as I found in the summary report. The next cohort in the report is 15 - 25, however. Using the search tool, I see that the homicide total in the 15-19 cohort is 1621, of which 1304 are in the 17-19 age range. As I noted earlier, 665 of the 1621 were considered gang-related according to the FBI. I suspect many were drug related also, but I couldn't find that data broken out by age in the FBI UCRs. Organizations that want to ban guns "for the children" are stretching the definition of "children" by including 17-, 18-, and 19-year old gangbangers and drug dealers.

It's clear that in the 15-19 cohort the discrepancy between homicide and non-homicide is suicide, which is over 10x higher than the 0-14 cohort (736 vs 64). That's a tragedy, to be sure.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Weird logic.

2 of my friends died on the Squash Court.

I know of other people who have and a friend who nearly lost an eye.

I know nobody who has died through gun ownership despite knowing many many more people who have guns than Squash racquets.

So ban Squash Racquets.

A prime example of crap laws that are determined by emotion than reality

The Health and Safety mentality.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:12 am
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

We've already found the solution. Ban people and ask the problems go away.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Weird logic.

I know nobody who has died through gun ownership despite knowing many many more people who have guns than Squash racquets.

So ban Squash Racquets.

Well there you go ! If somebody breaks into your house challenge them to a game of squash
Old May 7th 2012, 4:24 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Weird logic.

So ban Squash Racquets.

Extending your weird logic......

I don't know anyone who has been killed by a drunk driver or terrorist in the last 25 years so that problem has obviously been solved and they can be brought back into the fold.

I don't know anyone who was shot by Anders Breivik, so he is clearly innocent.

I do however know quite a few people who have died in hospital so they should clearly all be shuttered and burnt to the ground forthwith.

Doesn't really work, does it.......
Old May 7th 2012, 2:55 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Why does your wife need a gun?
For when the zombie outbreak happens.
Duh!
Old May 8th 2012, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Weird logic.

So ban Squash Racquets.

Great point and what I was saying, much more articulate than I thumbsup:

Last edited by SATX John; May 8th 2012 at 2:37 am.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:57 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat View Post
Well there you go ! If somebody breaks into your house challenge them to a game of squash
They'd probably die from boredom more than anything else!
Old May 8th 2012, 9:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SATX John View Post
Great point and what I was saying, much more articulate than I thumbsup:
Talk about damning with faint praise.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
Extending your weird logic......

I don't know anyone who has been killed by a drunk driver or terrorist in the last 25 years so that problem has obviously been solved and they can be brought back into the fold.

I don't know anyone who was shot by Anders Breivik, so he is clearly innocent.

I do however know quite a few people who have died in hospital so they should clearly all be shuttered and burnt to the ground forthwith.

Doesn't really work, does it.......
Ergo nuclear fission is far less dangerous than squash racquets.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:18 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Ergo nuclear fission is far less dangerous than squash racquets.
Nobody I know has ever been hacked to death by a serial killer therefore they do not exist.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Nobody I know has ever been hacked to death by a serial killer therefore they do not exist.
I knew someone who died of old age, clearly it would have been statistically far safer if they'd spent their hole life tooled up to the eyeballs (as long as they'd kept a safe distance from squash courts).

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.