Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

guns own/firearms

guns own/firearms

Old May 6th 2012, 9:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: guns own/firearms

Thanks Celtic

Would be interested to hear anyones actual experiances too.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Im not in the US yet, but I will admit that when we get around to it I intend to purchase a gun. Its not even for home protecton, because that situation never ends well, but more as a hobby to go and let off some steam at a range.

I fully intend to teach my children to handle it at a young(ish) age, because I think that way they learn it isn't a toy - it loses its fascination. Still I could be way off there. I would welcome any insights from parent ex-pats on the subject?
Haven't got one, won't be getting one, have shot one once or twice, son won't be getting one or learning until he's grown up and wants to himself for whatever reason, and no he isn't fascinated by them any more than any other boy with his toy soliders. He knows the real thing isn't a toy.

I don't care at all if people want to go and shoot at ranges, but the culture is very different here from the UK.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to add - I believe the number is about 5 children per day here who are killed accidentally by guns from their own households, because they, or their friend, or someone else in the family, is handling it incorrectly. Easy to say "that won't happen to my child, I'll teach them properly (and everyone else who comes into my house)." It only takes one moment's inattention.

And if it's locked up so no one can get at it, then it defeats the object that most people claim they want it for - rapid self defense.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I also have a Golden and she does make a lot of noise, but that would be as far as she goes.

She wags her tail and barks at the same time, mixed messages.

I feel the need for a gun more in the UK than the US.

If you are concerned about over penetration, then there are solutions. lots and lots of resources on the web.

I have just started a young lady, too young to drink but she has a Pistol, birthday present from her Grandparents.

The odd thing is that when I was a t school we had a shooting range, I am sure it is no longer there.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Forgot to add - I believe the number is about 5 children per day here who are killed accidentally by guns from their own households, because they, or their friend, or someone else in the family, is handling it incorrectly. Easy to say "that won't happen to my child, I'll teach them properly (and everyone else who comes into my house)." It only takes one moment's inattention.

And if it's locked up so no one can get at it, then it defeats the object that most people claim they want it for - rapid self defense.
Five children per day die from accidental gunshot wounds? Over 1,800 per year? I don't care if you don't like guns, but that's ridiculous.

The CDC's faststats page http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/acc-inj.htm
contains a link to the accidental deaths data for 2009.

Total number of deaths from "accidental discharge of firearms" is 554. Under age 15, the number is 48.

Note that the data source is the CDC, not the NRA.

And the Gunvault pistol safe is a good way to have both security and fast access.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't got one, won't be getting one, have shot one once or twice, son won't be getting one or learning until he's grown up and wants to himself for whatever reason, and no he isn't fascinated by them any more than any other boy with his toy soliders. He knows the real thing isn't a toy.

I don't care at all if people want to go and shoot at ranges, but the culture is very different here from the UK.
When we moved here we had a letter from my daughter's school...reminding parents if their children went to play or stayed over at a friend's house...to ask the child's parents if there were guns on the premises. If so to ask where they were kept and ensure they were well out of reach of the children. Can you imagine? Gobsmacked didn't even come into it.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S View Post
Five children per day die from accidental gunshot wounds? Over 1,800 per year? I don't care if you don't like guns, but that's ridiculous.

The CDC's faststats page http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/acc-inj.htm
contains a link to the accidental deaths data for 2009.

Total number of deaths from "accidental discharge of firearms" is 554. Under age 15, the number is 48.

Note that the data source is the CDC, not the NRA.

And the Gunvault pistol safe is a good way to have both security and fast access.

Dunno, read it somewhere. I agree it sounds high.

Let me look - ah, well, there's this. Yet another set of figures.

http://www.childrensdefense.org/chil...port-2009.html

And it's not a question of "not liking" guns. They are just dangerous bits of metal. What I don't like is the fascination with a violent culture, and people who think it's cool to be armed, per se.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
When we moved here we had a letter from my daughter's school...reminding parents if their children went to play or stayed over at a friend's house...to ask the child's parents if there were guns on the premises. If so to ask where they were kept and ensure they were well out of reach of the children. Can you imagine? Gobsmacked didn't even come into it.
BIL - in England - who likes to go and kill edible things, keeps the guns locked up in one safe and the ammunition locked up in a separate one, and never the twain shall meet inside the house. I think that might even be the law in the UK, not sure.

And whatever the number of accidental deaths is - it's too high. Imagine it were your own child.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

For many guns are just a means of compensating for their insecurities. The bigger the gun the smaller the........you get my drift.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

BIL - in England - who likes to go and kill edible things, keeps the guns locked up in one safe and the ammunition locked up in a separate one, and never the twain shall meet inside the house. I think that might even be the law in the UK, not sure.

And whatever the number of accidental deaths is - it's too high. Imagine it were your own child.
Thats an excellent point, and a example I may well follow. As I said previously I dont want a gun for home defence - I agree that in most situations they inflame rather than resolve.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Thats an excellent point, and a example I may well follow. As I said previously I dont want a gun for home defence - I agree that in most situations they inflame rather than resolve.
Being so very English my BIL actually has his ammo safe in the attic, which you can only get to by opening a trap door and lowering the ladder. He says he doesn't want someone breaking into the house and being able to steal his guns and load them in the house, and then use them on the family. What a difference to the arguments here.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be similar to the numbers that die by poisoning.

Heatstroke seems to kill more.
Old May 6th 2012, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
It seems to be similar to the numbers that die by poisoning.

Heatstroke seems to kill more.
I dare say, but that isn't much consolation really. More people die in traffic accidents, but that doesn't make me want to have a loaded gun in the house.
Old May 6th 2012, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun View Post
For many guns are just a means of compensating for their insecurities. The bigger the gun the smaller the........you get my drift.
Old May 6th 2012, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

LOL... the last time I was at the local gun shop, a little old lady was buying a Smith & Wesson revolver... maybe you could tell me what she was trying to "compensate" for...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.