Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

guns own/firearms

guns own/firearms

Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

jackal1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default guns own/firearms

i was google online to see how many weapons americans can own,but it is seems it varies from state.what is the total weapons americans own by law?
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: guns own/firearms

Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
i was google online to see how many weapons americans can own,but it is seems it varies from state.what is the total weapons americans own by law?

I think you answered that question before you asked it.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:02 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/filea...nnexe-4-EN.pdf
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

If you are asking how many a person can own, unlimited.

States restrict certain types of firearms, full auto, semi auto, silencers/suppressors etc....

OBTW if you buy 3 or more in a border state (same month) expect a visit from the ATF.

If you want to buy 100 you can based on type.

Also, they (Feds) only track lawful purchases. Criminals tend to avoid the back ground check hassle, like in the UK, where you cannot legally buy a handgun, yet criminals still have guns. Hmmm...
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SATX John View Post

Also, they (Feds) only track lawful purchases. Criminals tend to avoid the back ground check hassle, like in the UK, where you cannot legally buy a handgun, yet criminals still have guns. Hmmm...
Fortunately the chance of getting shot at in the UK is low, though.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

If you are asking how many a person can own, unlimited.

States restrict certain types of firearms, full auto, semi auto, silencers/suppressors etc....

OBTW if you buy 3 or more in a border state (same month) expect a visit from the ATF.

If you want to buy 100 you can based on type.

There are several countries that have a high level of gun ownership, driven by civil defence purposes - Israel & Switzerland are 2 that come to mind. In these 2 countries the rate of death by shootings in purely criminal situations is low. This suggests to me there is something in the national psyche, more than levels of gun ownership, that drives levels of shooting fatalities.

In the UK armed criminals use firearms mostly against themselves - turf wars etc. it is rare for firearms to be used against the innocent say, during a bank robbery. When this does happen we tend to play a waiting game, and such situations rarely end in death or major injury.

Historically in the UK there was no need to carry a fire arm.

In the early days of the US there was. Arguably now, with armed law enforcement officers in place, there isn't any more. But the cat is out of the bag, and not going back...
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:12 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Or criminals either themselves of with friends without records buy guns in states with slack gunlaws, such as Maine, where they don't need a license nor have checks to buy guns and then just illegally move them across state lines and flog them on the dodge.

These illegal guns don't just magically appear out of someones anus after all.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post
There are several countries that have a high level of gun ownership, driven by civil defence purposes - Israel & Switzerland are 2 that come to mind. In these 2 countries the rate of death by shootings in purely criminal situations is low. This suggests to me there is something in the national psyche, more than levels of gun ownership, that drives levels of shooting fatalities.

In the UK armed criminals use firearms mostly against themselves - turf wars etc. it is rare for firearms to be used against the innocent say, during a bank robbery. When this does happen we tend to play a waiting game, and such situations rarely end in death or major injury.

In the early days of the US there was. Arguably now, with armed law enforcement officers in place, there isn't any more. But the cat is out of the bag, and not going back...
Of course, Israel and Switzerland both have significant universal National Service obligations, meaning that most citizens are properly trained in the use of firearms & firearm safety.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

This is a topic of some interest to me. FWIW, Switzerland has a fairly high degree of firearm regulation. Also, militia members no longer keep the sealed 50-round box of ammo at home.

Also, in Israel, there are strict regulations on how and where one can openly carry. A single person can be easily assaulted and have the weapon lifted.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Of course, Israel and Switzerland both have significant universal National Service obligations, meaning that most citizens are properly trained in the use of firearms & firearm safety.
I remember one trip to Israel where I saw a man carrying an M-16 by the handle with the barrel point upwards, 20-round clip in, dust door closed so I could not tell if a round was chambered or not. Damn, you are supposed to carry the weapon pointed down -- it is safer and keeps water and dust out of the barrel.

I recalled my Army Drill Sergeants and I almost wanted to go over and push the barrel down but remembered that it is really a good idea to be exceedingly polite to a person with an automatic weapon.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 5:47 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Fair and accurate assumption, I'd say.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Or criminals either themselves of with friends without records buy guns in states with slack gunlaws, such as Maine, where they don't need a license nor have checks to buy guns and then just illegally move them across state lines and flog them on the dodge.

These illegal guns don't just magically appear out of someones anus after all.
Eh? Regardless in which state you're buying a gun from a licensed dealer, you'll always have to fill out form 4473 and undergo a background check. Other states might have stricter requirements, but at a minimum you'll have to pass the NICS check.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:21 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Eh? Regardless in which state you're buying a gun from a licensed dealer, you'll always have to fill out form 4473 and undergo a background check. Other states might have stricter requirements, but at a minimum you'll have to pass the NICS check.
But who buys from a rip off gun shop?

Everyone that I know that has a gun up in Maine, they bought either from gun fairs or second hand. No checks involved and gun in hand.

Sure, you're meant to apply for a gun license to sell on a gun, but I don't think anyone bothers, unless they are selling to a gun/pawn shop.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone that I know that has a gun up in Maine, they bought either from gun fairs or second hand. No checks involved and gun in hand.

Sure, you're meant to apply for a gun license to sell on a gun, but I don't think anyone bothers, unless they are selling to a gun/pawn shop.
Things must be different in Maine then...

I haven't seen any real deals at a gun show in years... my local gun shop has better prices. I bought a full-size HK45 there last month... gun counter was BUSY
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Concur early days, and how bout Norway? Many AMCITZ would disagree esp in places the police will not go, or respond effectively, out in country and inner city.

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
National Service, something I am in favor of, armed forces or civil/public service.

Originally Posted by Xebedee View Post
Fair and accurate assumption, I'd say.
Too a degree.

If you do not buy from a shop, OK it is your right by law. Yet You can always ge a visit from the LEOs. If I sell one personally, I ask the same questions and get a copy of their DL. Just me, but many of us do check, and have apps that do, even if we only check what we can.

The majority of legally purchased firearms are never used to commit a crime in the US.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.