Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Great Britain great again?

Great Britain great again?

Old Jul 20th 2020, 9:18 pm
  #16  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,286
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
So I guess some will be aware that the Oxford University vaccine for Coronavirus appears to be triggering an immune response. Now granted this is only a trial and further tests need to be done but WHAT IF the UK develops the vaccine?
If I was Bojo I would be holding up a vial of the vaccine and saying Hey EU what is it about BREXIT you don't like and are you sure you don't want a deal. Hey Trump when do you want to sign a free Trade Deal which is equal for both countries.
Any other world leader out there want to renegotiate deals they have with the UK?


Well if you read my post on the Coronavirus thread... you will see that Oxford will be joining the queue !!! Not the first by a mile.. so oops there goes that little blackmail idea
GeniB is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2020, 9:46 pm
  #17  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 55,357
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
I don't think we should keep it to ourselves but I don't think we should be too eager to hand it out free of charge either especially if it's been in any way funded by the UK tax payer.

It won't help the UK much if other countries are too busy dying and having their economies crash to do business with us.

And medicine is never free. Somebody has to make the stuff, and will be paid to do so by somebody, and then there is all the distribution. Capitalism will get its cut all right.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2020, 9:47 pm
  #18  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 55,357
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Iceland. Stop taking our mums!
Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
And why is everything breaded?
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Your mum's breaded?

My son almost got a job in Iceland. But he lost out because they moved some employees from another closed place to his shop.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2020, 9:50 pm
  #19  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,616
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It won't help the UK much if other countries are too busy dying and having their economies crash to do business with us.

And medicine is never free. Somebody has to make the stuff, and will be paid to do so by somebody, and then there is all the distribution. Capitalism will get its cut all right.
No but it won't help Britain's economy all that much if we we just give it away free either. China certainly wouldn't do that and neither would your adopted homeland.

The UK has already given away countless pieces of priceless research in the last few decades, one such example being DNA technology. I'm not sure it's a habit we should be sticking with especially since we will no longer be eligible for European research grants from next year.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2020, 9:56 pm
  #20  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 55,357
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
No but it won't help Britain's economy all that much if we we just give it away free either. China certainly wouldn't do that and neither would your adopted homeland.

The UK has already given away countless pieces of priceless research in the last few decades, one such example being DNA technology. I'm not sure it's a habit we should be sticking with especially since we will no longer be eligible for European research grants from next year.
I doubt we will give it away free in the sense that we will supply ready-to-go vaccine. But I find it hard to make an even remotely ethical argument for withholding the scientific knowledge given the amount of pain and suffering this thing is causing around the world. Raising yet more barriers to international collaboration and creating yet more ill will and insisting that bloody everything has to be reckoned in monetary terms isn't really going to advance the species and prevent us from destroying our own habitat beyond repair while we fight over money.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2020, 10:03 pm
  #21  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,616
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I doubt we will give it away free in the sense that we will supply ready-to-go vaccine. But I find it hard to make an even remotely ethical argument for withholding the scientific knowledge given the amount of pain and suffering this thing is causing around the world. Raising yet more barriers to international collaboration and creating yet more ill will and insisting that bloody everything has to be reckoned in monetary terms isn't really going to advance the species and prevent us from destroying our own habitat beyond repair while we fight over money.
Like I said earlier, I'm happy with the UK sharing this with anyone except for the Chinese. If we don't end up charging other countries for it directly then maybe we could coordinate a program where all developed nations that use the technology also have to participate in providing deliverable vaccine doses to developing countries.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2020, 10:18 pm
  #22  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Annetje's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Charente Maritime
Posts: 5,266
Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

https://www.thelocal.de/20200614/eu-...-vaccine-doses
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...ne-europe.html

"This agreement will ensure that hundreds of millions of Europeans have access to Oxford University's vaccine following approval," AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot said in a prepared statement. "With our European supply chain due to begin production soon, we hope to make the vaccine available widely and rapidly."

They do mention China in the article .....
Annetje is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2020, 10:22 pm
  #23  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 55,357
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Like I said earlier, I'm happy with the UK sharing this with anyone except for the Chinese. If we don't end up charging other countries for it directly then maybe we could coordinate a program where all developed nations that use the technology also have to participate in providing deliverable vaccine doses to developing countries.
Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
https://www.thelocal.de/20200614/eu-...-vaccine-doses
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...ne-europe.html

"This agreement will ensure that hundreds of millions of Europeans have access to Oxford University's vaccine following approval," AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot said in a prepared statement. "With our European supply chain due to begin production soon, we hope to make the vaccine available widely and rapidly."

They do mention China in the article .....
There you go. I couldn't remember the name of the commercial partner.

I'm not at all happy with the idea of condemning a load of ordinary Chinese people to death just because they've got a shit government. They have enough trouble, and I'm fairly sure the government would just as soon let people die as give in to the demands of our countries in terms of how they run the place. That would not be exactly taking the high road or leading by example.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2020, 10:59 pm
  #24  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,616
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
There you go. I couldn't remember the name of the commercial partner.

I'm not at all happy with the idea of condemning a load of ordinary Chinese people to death just because they've got a shit government. They have enough trouble, and I'm fairly sure the government would just as soon let people die as give in to the demands of our countries in terms of how they run the place. That would not be exactly taking the high road or leading by example.
And that's quite understandable and probably a far more humanitarian outlook than mine. Tbh though I just couldn't give a toss what happens to them at this point.

​​​​​​If they want to develop their own vaccine, and by that I mean actually develop it rather than do their normal thing and steal it from someone else for profit, then I say good luck to them but I don't think the world owes them any favours or cooperation.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2020, 11:02 pm
  #25  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Annetje's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Charente Maritime
Posts: 5,266
Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

And then there is this

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2020...-agreement-uk/

Maybe this thread was a bit premature ...

Let's just hope the world works TOGETHER to find a vaccin and it will be shared with everyone !
Annetje is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 12:27 am
  #26  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 17,880
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I doubt we will give it away free in the sense that we will supply ready-to-go vaccine. But I find it hard to make an even remotely ethical argument for withholding the scientific knowledge given the amount of pain and suffering this thing is causing around the world. Raising yet more barriers to international collaboration and creating yet more ill will and insisting that bloody everything has to be reckoned in monetary terms isn't really going to advance the species and prevent us from destroying our own habitat beyond repair while we fight over money.
And yet there are multiple drugs on the market that can assist children in recovering from a myriad of illnesses but families cannot afford this treatment and have to set up go fund me pages to try and raise monies for this treatment.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-family-rai...life-1.5010168

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...osts-3-million

https://globalnews.ca/news/7177005/z...-health-reign/
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 1:21 am
  #27  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 33,285
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
And yet there are multiple drugs on the market that can assist children in recovering from a myriad of illnesses but families cannot afford this treatment and have to set up go fund me pages to try and raise monies for this treatment.
Governments and whether they will fund the cost for their people. That's quite different to a single government of one country denying a supply to other countries isn't it?
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 1:50 am
  #28  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 55,357
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
And yet there are multiple drugs on the market that can assist children in recovering from a myriad of illnesses but families cannot afford this treatment and have to set up go fund me pages to try and raise monies for this treatment.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-family-rai...life-1.5010168

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...osts-3-million

https://globalnews.ca/news/7177005/z...-health-reign/
Health care as a business is wrong,especially if access is rationed by the ability to pay as an individual, rather than as a society.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:12 am
  #29  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,286
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
And then there is this

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2020...-agreement-uk/

Maybe this thread was a bit premature ...

Let's just hope the world works TOGETHER to find a vaccin and it will be shared with everyone !
Indeed Annetje... Unfortunately the vast majority of the public do not know the real truth about Covid 19 ..With governments scattering fake news everywhere to distract people from it, they would be highly unlikely now to believe it if they did get to it.What remains is the fact that the world has it now ,and we have to work together asap to stop its already many mutations .This is a world problem .Not smart to have individual countries going nah nah na nah na.. we're ok
GeniB is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2020, 12:39 pm
  #30  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 13,807
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Britain great again?

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
And then there is this

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2020...-agreement-uk/

Maybe this thread was a bit premature ...

Let's just hope the world works TOGETHER to find a vaccin and it will be shared with everyone !

Oxford vaccine going to be produced in India at the Serum Institute--just heard it confirmed on midday news.
Agreement with AstraZeneca.

https://www.firstpost.com/health/ser...e-8623101.html


Bipat is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.