Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The great big Electile Dysfunction thread....

The great big Electile Dysfunction thread....

Old Nov 1st 2019, 6:00 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default The great big Electile Dysfunction thread....

Boris didnt wake up dead in a ditch and Katie Hopkins is not at the mad hatters tea party naked, let's be honest an election is unlikely to solve the issue yet again the clock is ticking down and everyone is looking in the other direction.

Politics in the UK is a joke and how they expect to be taken seriously around the world is beyond me. Boris is someones puppet question is who Cummings, Trump?

If Boris Johnson's new policies were serious the budgets for them would have been layout for longer, I would put money on before the first wave of new police officers completing training the expansion gets scrapped.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The great big Electile Dysfunction thread....

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
Boris didnt wake up dead in a ditch and Katie Hopkins is not at the mad hatters tea party naked, let's be honest an election is unlikely to solve the issue yet again the clock is ticking down and everyone is looking in the other direction.

Politics in the UK is a joke and how they expect to be taken seriously around the world is beyond me. Boris is someones puppet question is who Cummings, Trump?

If Boris Johnson's new policies were serious the budgets for them would have been layout for longer, I would put money on before the first wave of new police officers completing training the expansion gets scrapped.
I have a web address where you can buy tablets for that if you want, and they work.Chatter Static you old tart
Old Nov 1st 2019, 6:47 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The great big Electile Dysfunction thread....

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
I have a web address where you can buy tablets for that if you want, and they work.Chatter Static you old tart

They have tablets for Electile Dysfunction? they will sell well over the next few weeks.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 11:45 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the thread title an oxymoron?
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 12:05 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
You should run for office......
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 12:11 pm
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Depends if it's a shower or a grower
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 3:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I was having tea with some elderly American ladies yesterday afternoon. These were all sensible people with advanced degrees. One asked me, “So what’s this with BoJo and an election in December?” I started to explain about how elections in the UK are different from in the US. Comparisons with Israel, Canada, etc. What’s going on with Brexit.

All I got was incredulous or blank stares. I decided to have more cake & let the electoral explanation slide.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with all this is that the political situation in the UK now has deteriorated to the point where no likely outcome will please anyone but a minority....... so the sickness that ails British politics seems likely to continue unabated.

I will admit to being an unapologetic remainer..... not a remoaner or a remainiac, just someone who thinks that the EU, whilst far from perfect, offers the UK a better future than the alternative. I'll also admit to being left of centre - but pragmatically so.... therefore I'd probably be dismissed as a Blairite. Early on, my prediction was that, as a result of the referendum result, Brits would end up paying more to get less .... and I still think that's true - so I'd quite like a magic wand to make the last 3 years disappear.... but they won't.

We've had three years of garbage. Now there is no clear way forward re Brexit and Bojo calls a snap election as another attempt to enforce his own ideas, regardless of reality. I can't see any good outcome from this or any clear way to vote
- Obviously the Brexit part, etc. are out for me
- I have never voted Tory and certainly won't do so for this latest right-wing iteration
- Labour's vision is muddled and I don't trust the main actors (and even less those behind them)
- Whilst the Lib-Dems seem to offer a getout, I don't believe it and even if they could do what they want, it wouldn't solve anything.
So, what to do.......

As we say in Ireland "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here at all!"
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 3:05 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
The problem with all this is that the political situation in the UK now has deteriorated to the point where no likely outcome will please anyone but a minority....... so the sickness that ails British politics seems likely to continue unabated.

I will admit to being an unapologetic remainer..... not a remoaner or a remainiac, just someone who thinks that the EU, whilst far from perfect, offers the UK a better future than the alternative. I'll also admit to being left of centre - but pragmatically so.... therefore I'd probably be dismissed as a Blairite. Early on, my prediction was that, as a result of the referendum result, Brits would end up paying more to get less .... and I still think that's true - so I'd quite like a magic wand to make the last 3 years disappear.... but they won't.
I think this election should take place candidates should be open and honest about their direction of sway with Brexit and they stick to their line not a party line "but that won't happen"

I think the Party approach to governing countries seems pretty flawed in a lot of regions these days it's just petty tribalism with more bickering and little action.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 3:11 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

As we say in Ireland "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here at all!"
This.

I suspect it will take years to repair the damage, and I'm certainly not referring just to brexit when I say that.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 3:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
I think this election should take place candidates should be open and honest about their direction of sway with Brexit and they stick to their line not a party line "but that won't happen"

I think the Party approach to governing countries seems pretty flawed in a lot of regions these days it's just petty tribalism with more bickering and little action.
If you have a parliament, with hundreds of members, how could you not have parties? Let’s say there were no parties - each member was voted in on his or her own merits - wouldn’t parties or informal interest groups naturally emerge?
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 4:30 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post

If you have a parliament, with hundreds of members, how could you not have parties? Let’s say there were no parties - each member was voted in on his or her own merits - wouldn’t parties or informal interest groups naturally emerge?
Interest groups would be better than the two party system with fringe outer parties, because the whips are just there to adjust MP's voting direction. Brexit has highlighted this flaw more just like Trump has done with the flaws in the US two party system.

I think my biggest annoyance is the way the cabinet is formed obviously cabinet ministers are "in charge of vital services" I honestly think the post's cabinet minister hold would be better filled by people that are not MP's and they get filled by all MP's in Parliament voting them in on a longer basis than that of what MP's hold to allow a bit more continuity because just lately cabinet posts having a bit of a revolving door occupation. PM's these day don't fill cabinet members posts on the ability to do the job it's an ability to take flak instead of the PM or vote the way a PM wants.

Hopefully I made some sense but probably not......

It's easier for a large multinational or person to donate to a party for political sway remove the party system and swaying governments becomes a bit harder obviously not impossible .

Last edited by Chatter Static; Nov 3rd 2019 at 4:39 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Certainly groupings would emerge - and almost certainly some of the MPs won't be an exact fit into their grouping. The issue is "party discipline", which can stray into the realms of arm-twisting and worse - so that an MP who votes against his party runs a risk..... and that goes against the idea that an MP should represent his electorate or that an MP is elected to make decisions on behalf of his electorate. This is not confined to the UK - it is arguably worse in PR, where a troublesome deputy can just be demoted within the party list to the point that election becomes unlikely.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 6:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

- it is arguably worse in PR, where a troublesome deputy can just be demoted within the party list to the point that election becomes unlikely.

I think I just realized why folk in Israel are constantly forming new parties!
Old Nov 4th 2019, 4:43 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of a poisoned election isn't it. Whoever wins is likely to **** a lot of people off, one way or another. Maybe waiting for the fallout to be the best placed alternative next GE is better?

Anyway - first time ever, seen lots on tactical voting. Very interesting BBC article (among others).

When you look at one of the tactical voting guide websites it shows, more importantly, just how important it is to vote (if you still can). Look at this LINK - it shows how close some places are, there were 31 votes separating Cons and Lab out of 45ish thousand. Not voting is criminal at times like this, so make sure you've all registered if you still can.

Note: I appreciate the information is available elsewhere but it surprised me when I saw it, which was on this site, which is a very pro-remain tactical voting site I know I know (other sites are available, this is just the only one I looked at)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.