Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Getting Brexit done

Getting Brexit done

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:03 pm
  #91  
Open the pod bay doors...
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru
Posts: 19,796
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
I posted the facts again because you only posted the figures for jobs moving OUT of the UK. Some posters do not fully read links so I thought I would post the numbers of EU-based businesses moving TO the UK to continue trade with the UK. 1400 in all. So far.

Why are you and the usual troop of posters so petty?
This one explains it better https://www.fintechfutures.com/2020/...-after-brexit/
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:28 pm
  #92  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 38
Bonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Even the anti Brexit IMF, partly funded by the EU, have changed their tune and are predicting that the U.K. will outgrow the Eurozone over the next two years at least.

Can’t be bad.
Bonzodog is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:47 pm
  #93  
Open the pod bay doors...
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru
Posts: 19,796
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
Even the anti Brexit IMF, partly funded by the EU, have changed their tune and are predicting that the U.K. will outgrow the Eurozone over the next two years at least.

Can’t be bad.
Do you have a source for either of those claims? The one about IMF being party funded by the EU, and the claim predicting the UK will outgrow the EU over the next two years.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 4:18 pm
  #94  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 30,111
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Why are you and the usual troop of posters so petty?
Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Email and ask him.

BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 4:20 pm
  #95  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 30,111
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
...bloody hell, grow up the lot of you.
Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Email and ask him.

BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 5:12 pm
  #96  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 16,793
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
'England may be a "modest" market...'

I assume we are still talking about the financial sector when you say 'England may be a modest market'? I think we are number one in the world. You are posting such crap.
We've been over this before, and you still don't get it.

As an EU member, establishing a business in the UK (financial services or otherwise) facilitates free, unfettered access to a $19Trillion market.

Post-Brexit, businesses in the UK will have free, unfettered access to a $2Trillion market. Although that's going to decline a bit as businesses who established their presence in the UK specifically to access the single market are forced to relocate (as many have already). It also assumes that the "UK" manages to stay intact, which is fairly risky at this juncture. Otherwise, in a decade or so, it could be just "England", which would be yet another notch smaller. In other words, a "modest" market. UK or not.

But again, no point in completely abandoning it, although it seems that England is OK with abandoning it's largest trading partner. So, it's not going to be seen as a "two way street".
amideislas is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 5:49 pm
  #97  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out of place
Posts: 51,639
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
Even the anti Brexit IMF, partly funded by the EU, have changed their tune and are predicting that the U.K. will outgrow the Eurozone over the next two years at least.

Can’t be bad.
Oh FFS.

I hate these simplistic headline announcements for non-financiers (which includes me). Here is a slightly more sensible and fuller version.:

https://www.theweek.co.uk/105298/imf...-than-eurozone

and here

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN1XG1TL


Also, please ask yourself who will be benefiting. Not which country, but who.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 6:21 pm
  #98  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,468
la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
We've been over this before, and you still don't get it.

As an EU member, establishing a business in the UK (financial services or otherwise) facilitates free, unfettered access to a $19Trillion market.

Post-Brexit, businesses in the UK will have free, unfettered access to a $2Trillion market. Although that's going to decline a bit as businesses who established their presence in the UK specifically to access the single market are forced to relocate (as many have already). It also assumes that the "UK" manages to stay intact, which is fairly risky at this juncture. Otherwise, in a decade or so, it could be just "England", which would be yet another notch smaller. In other words, a "modest" market. UK or not.

But again, no point in completely abandoning it, although it seems that England is OK with abandoning it's largest trading partner. So, it's not going to be seen as a "two way street".
Don't deviate. We were talking about the financial sector when you said 'England may be a modest market', when in fact it is the biggest.

And I have no interest at all in your pessimistic prophecies. None at all.
la mancha is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 6:26 pm
  #99  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 16,793
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

??? England is NOT the biggest market, and never has been.

This is the problem. Little England still thinks (needs to believe) it runs the world. That's why they're all chuckling behind your back.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 6:34 pm
  #100  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,468
la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
??? England is NOT the biggest market, and never has been.

This is the problem. Little England still thinks (needs to believe) it runs the world. That's why they're all chuckling behind your back.
The City is the second biggest financial city in the world 2019. We alternate with NY every year or so. Frankfurt is tenth, to give you some idea of the City's power. We are talking about the financial sector. Don't deviate.
la mancha is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 6:47 pm
  #101  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 16,793
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

You conflate market size with size of financial sectors which serve those markets.

Fact: England is not the world's largest market, the US is. The (close) second largest is the EU. Fact.

Moreover, the largest market served by UK financial services is the EU. Fact.

When UK financial services no longer have access to their largest market, they will be forced to conduct that business in a jurisdiction that does. Fact.

End of.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 6:56 pm
  #102  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,468
la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
You conflate market size with size of financial sectors which serve those markets.

Fact: England is not the world's largest market, the US is. The (close) second largest is the EU. Fact.

Moreover, the largest market served by UK financial services is the EU. Fact.

When UK financial services no longer have access to their largest market, they will be forced to conduct that business in a jurisdiction that does. Fact.

End of.
The City is the second largest financial city in the world. End of. If you want to veer off course then do so. It is not a modest market.
la mancha is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 6:57 pm
  #103  
Still mal-fonted. Why?
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 3,624
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
You conflate market size with size of financial sectors which serve those markets.

Fact: England is not the world's largest market, the US is. The (close) second largest is the EU. Fact.

Moreover, the largest market served by UK financial services is the EU. Fact.

When UK financial services no longer have access to their largest market, they will be forced to conduct that business in a jurisdiction that does. Fact.

End of.
Absolutely true. Fact.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 6:58 pm
  #104  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 16,793
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

And we wonder how England got into this mess. There's your sign.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 7:16 pm
  #105  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,468
la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Yes, we are talking about market size. London is home to Europe's biggest capital market.
Continental European capital markets are small.
la mancha is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.