Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Getting Brexit done

Getting Brexit done

Old Jan 21st 2020, 11:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Brexit done

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
More than 1400 EU-based firms have applied for permission to operate in the UK after Brexit, with over 1000 of these planning to open their first UK office, according to a Freedom of Information request by Bovill. The FOI provides evidence that London and the UK will continue to be a leading player on the global financial stage after Brexit.

More than 1000 banks, asset managers, payments companies and insurers in the EU plan to open offices in post_Brexit so they can continue serving UK clients.

Not bad for a little island off the coast of Europe.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The photography is a nice touch. Subtle.

Anyway, here is a slightly less "loud" appraisal.

https://www.cityam.com/over-1000-eu-...-after-brexit/

EU firms have to open offices in the UK if they wish to continue to serve UK clients. UK firms have to do the same in the EU, and hundreds already have. That means about 7,000 UK jobs have moved with them to the EU countries, and 2,400 more will be hired by UK firms locally within the EU. It's not yet reported, that I can find, how many UK jobs will be created by the incoming EU firms' offices.

I'm pretty sure that international finance firms will do just fine either way, something I've said since the beginning. None of this was ever about, or for, "the people."

​​​​​​It's as though I had never posted.....
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 7:28 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Posted it across what, 3 threads? It's as if "finally, something we can claim as a 'victory'". Despite it not being much of anything. Big news though, apparently.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

More than 1400 EU-based firms have applied for permission to operate in the UK after Brexit, with over 1000 of these planning to open their first UK office, according to a Freedom of Information request by Bovill. The FOI provides evidence that London and the UK will continue to be a leading player on the global financial stage after Brexit.

More than 1000 banks, asset managers, payments companies and insurers in the EU plan to open offices in post_Brexit so they can continue serving UK clients.

Not bad for a little island off the coast of Europe.
But why did JRM move his finance outfit out of GREAT Britain into the EU if he was so confident in the ​​​​​​post Brexit success of this little island of the coast of Europe?
Can you explain this?

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:05 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

He and lots of others.

But look, a huge percentage of UK financial devices are conducted within the EU. Like most realities, Brexiteers either weren't aware nor did they think of that, or assumed in their hubris that the EU would just accept continuing access to the market without any membership.

So, as a contingency, they secured licences, office space, moved assets and a few thousand employees to the continent. It's still important to keep a legal presence in the UK, since there are also customers to serve. England may be a "modest" market, but there's no good reason to abandon it.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
​​​​​​It's as though I had never posted.....
I posted the facts again because you only posted the figures for jobs moving OUT of the UK. Some posters do not fully read links so I thought I would post the numbers of EU-based businesses moving TO the UK to continue trade with the UK. 1400 in all. So far.

Why are you and the usual troop of posters so petty?
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
But why did JRM move his finance outfit out of GREAT Britain into the EU if he was so confident in the ​​​​​​post Brexit success of this little island of the coast of Europe?
Can you explain this?
Email and ask him.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
He and lots of others.

But look, a huge percentage of UK financial devices are conducted within the EU. Like most realities, Brexiteers either weren't aware nor did they think of that, or assumed in their hubris that the EU would just accept continuing access to the market without any membership.

So, as a contingency, they secured licences, office space, moved assets and a few thousand employees to the continent. It's still important to keep a legal presence in the UK, since there are also customers to serve. England may be a "modest" market, but there's no good reason to abandon it.
'England may be a "modest" market...'

I assume we are still talking about the financial sector when you say 'England may be a modest market'? I think we are number one in the world. You are posting such crap.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Watchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond repute

Some posters do not fully read links so I thought I would post the numbers of EU-based businesses moving TO the UK to continue trade with the UK. 1400 in all.
You didn't, though. You posted the numbers of EU-based businesses opening their first UK office. That isn't the same as the numbers of EU-based businesses "moving to the UK".
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Email and ask him.
If one of Boris' pals takes his business out, he has a good reason: no confidence in the years ahead.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
You didn't, though. You posted the numbers of EU-based businesses opening their first UK office. That isn't the same as the numbers of EU-based businesses "moving to the UK".
Jesus bloody Christ, give me a break, you petty idiots.

Read my post number 73. I made a slip of the tongue just now but, bloody hell, grow up the lot of you.

This is what I wrote in post 73.

'More than 1400 EU-based firms have applied for permission to operate in the UK after Brexit, with over 1000 of these planning to open their first UK office, according to a Freedom of Information request by Bovill. The FOI provides evidence that London and the UK will continue to be a leading player on the global financial stage after Brexit.'
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

If one of Boris' pals takes his business out, he has a good reason: no confidence in the years ahead.
Is that what he replied when you emailed him or is it your opinion?
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

'England may be a "modest" market...'

I assume we are still talking about the financial sector when you say 'England may be a modest market'? I think we are number one in the world. You are posting such crap.
No longer once you have been reduced to little England.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

No longer once you have been reduced to little England.
Grow up
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I posted the facts again because you only posted the figures for jobs moving OUT of the UK. Some posters do not fully read links so I thought I would post the numbers of EU-based businesses moving TO the UK to continue trade with the UK. 1400 in all. So far.

Why are you and the usual troop of posters so petty?
Who is the source of these numbers?
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Who is the source of these numbers?
FOI request

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.