Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old Aug 27th 2020, 6:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That's - not very encouraging.
Now you're being charitable and understated

But yes, it's f***ed.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:12 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing better thanks, since I've just secured employment for myself (for now anyway) after being laid off due to Covid. How about you?

Get in there. Congrats.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:20 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
That's one way to put it. Another way to put it: police attempt to arrest a known violent criminal with four outstanding warrants including third degree sexual assault and two counts of domestic battery (he's a real "family man"). Known violent criminal resists arrest (illegal, BTW), shrugs off taser attempt, ignores repeated commands to stop (also illegal, BTW), and while at gun point opens his car door and starts rummaging around for something. Violent criminal (who apparently has the IQ of a carrot) gets shot for his trouble.

I feel like I've living through a remake of Rashomon. We live in such different worlds that we have started to interpret the facts before our eyes differently. To me, this case is a tipping point. George Floyd was one thing, but this case and the Rayshard Brooks case are completely different. These are men violently resisting arrest and acting ridiculously dangerously in already terribly dangerous situations that they themselves created. The press seems eager to lump these three wildly different situations into one narrative, as many here seem to. When did we agree that it's debatable that you have to listen to police commands? When did we agree that police should not ever be able to deploy deadly force despite any action the person they are trying to arrest takes? When did we agree that the suspect's race had anything to do with either of these cases? When did we agree that police shooting unarmed black men is indeed a huge problem in the first place? Never. Opposing viewpoints have been simply trampled. Holders of opposing viewpoints are labeled racist and hounded. People have been fired for disagreeing. This has to stop.
the video is a hard watch, but if i have 3 officers pointing their guns at me I shit myself and do whatever they tell me to do. It was clear that the copper was trying to drag him away from going into the car, when he reached in that copper had no choice but to assume the worst, he's reaching for a gun. Whether he was or not is irrelevant as in this case is the colour of his skin. My cousin had 4 guns pointed at him in LA, had he reached for an unknown item contrary to instructions he may not be with us today.
the choice to **** this man's life up on the other hand is a different matter, no shot to the spine at close range is an accident and this poor sods in a wheelchair and shitting in a bag for the rest of his life now.
If you want to blame something for this, blame the absolute lack of respect that yanks have for firearms. American police are trained to assume that everybody is a potential cop killer, what a sad way to live.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 12:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

Get in there. Congrats.
Thanks. I put it on the job thread in the Lounge. Just a consulting gig until the end of April, but a UK- based org so the right direction, with a bit lot of luck.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 12:58 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

Alive!
I am happy enough. Have odd moments where I miss England. Hope to go back for a visit next year.
Hope the job brings happiness and prosperity.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 12:59 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

Paul Newman can do anything he likes as far as I'm concerned.
He makes goods Sockarooni.
I think I need to edit that, makes it sound like its made from his dead body
Old Aug 28th 2020, 1:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
the video is a hard watch, but if i have 3 officers pointing their guns at me I shit myself and do whatever they tell me to do. It was clear that the copper was trying to drag him away from going into the car, when he reached in that copper had no choice but to assume the worst, he's reaching for a gun. Whether he was or not is irrelevant as in this case is the colour of his skin. My cousin had 4 guns pointed at him in LA, had he reached for an unknown item contrary to instructions he may not be with us today.
the choice to **** this man's life up on the other hand is a different matter, no shot to the spine at close range is an accident and this poor sods in a wheelchair and shitting in a bag for the rest of his life now.
If you want to blame something for this, blame the absolute lack of respect that yanks have for firearms. American police are trained to assume that everybody is a potential cop killer, what a sad way to live.
Sad way to live is right. Fear and violence. Although people have also been killed by the police when they are clearly not a threat. A right to lethal violence by a police force trained as military, where the people they are meant to protect are "the enemy" and they find themselves making the law and passing a sentence of capital punishment. It isn't good for anyone, including normal, decent police officers.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by LuTziE View Post
Alive!
I am happy enough. Have odd moments where I miss England. Hope to go back for a visit next year.
Hope the job brings happiness and prosperity.
Alive is good, but you really must learn to use the quote button, it would make conversations a lot easier

I was to go to the UK this September, but now obv not.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 2:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

normal, decent police officers.
Which ones are those?
Old Aug 28th 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Which ones are those?

I'm constantly torn between my cynicism and my optimism.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 3:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm constantly torn between my cynicism and my optimism.
An optimistic cynic or a cynical optimist?
Old Aug 28th 2020, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Well, that's my productivity shot for the day
Old Aug 28th 2020, 3:54 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Well, that's my productivity shot for the day
sort of a "glass at exactly 50% of maximum capacity" person...
Old Aug 28th 2020, 4:09 pm

And (bits of) America responds to the Kenosha murders by the 17 year old. "That's three commies down".

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...box=1598607600

Again, not the country I moved to, despite the many, many good people here.

Irrespective of how the election goes, there's way too much of this kind of attitude.

Old Aug 28th 2020, 5:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It shows up for me, does it need quoting for others to see?

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 28th 2020 at 5:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.