Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:39 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
the video shows absolutely nothing of value IMO. The cops could have been knocking the living daylights out of whoever or whatever is in the back seat.
Possibly, but that would be unusual in an arrest situation if there wasn't resistance. It looks more like there was some sort of resistance. That doesn't condone kneeling on the guys neck for such a period of time until he passed out and died (this doesn't really need to be said, but others like to pounce unless one explicitly and repeatedly doesn't denounce the act) nor does it explain why there would have been resistance when he previously seemed compliant.

As I was saying, the initial shock video (of any issue, not just this one) doesn't always tell the full story and later longer or other videos or evidence comes to play. It's one of the reasons why I am against the new (social media) public lynchings.

Old Jun 1st 2020, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Possibly, but that would be unusual in an arrest situation if there wasn't resistance. It looks more like there was some sort of resistance. That doesn't condone kneeling on the guys neck for such a period of time until he passed out and died (this doesn't really need to be said, but others like to pounce unless one explicitly and repeatedly doesn't denounce the act) nor does it explain why there would have been resistance when he previously seemed compliant.

As I was saying, the initial shock video (of any issue, not just this one) doesn't always tell the full story and later longer or other videos or evidence comes to play. It's one of the reasons why I am against the new (social media) public lynchings.
on the other hand...if there were not phone camera handy, this could have all been hushed up, as it’s probably been done many times before.

I would love to see footage of the cameras attached to all 4 cops. Now that would tell the full and true story. Unless of course they were turned off or have mysteriously broken or got lost.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 7:30 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

on the other hand...if there were not phone camera handy, this could have all been hushed up, as it’s probably been done many times before.

I would love to see footage of the cameras attached to all 4 cops. Now that would tell the full and true story. Unless of course they were turned off or have mysteriously broken or got lost.
Absolutely, I also wonder if there was a camera in the car with audio.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
So I gather from some posters on this thread that:

1. There isn't a problem with racism against black people in the US
2. There is a problem, but black people aren't handling it the way these posters think they should
3. The cause of the problem (the one that doesn't exist as per #1) is the rioters and looters
4. There is a problem, but the problem is actually the behaviour of black people towards white people
5. There isn't a problem, it's only a few bad eggs
6. Black people don't care about what happens to other black people in non-police-violence situations
7. The real problem is black people killing white people
8. Black people are lazy people who only want sports shoes
9. Return to #1 and repeat the list

I may have missed one, apologies, it's still early here.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't pay to be from the press, it seems.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52880970

Many incidents of what appear to be deliberate targeting.

Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:34 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
There are two groups emerging: Those who genuinely want to protest yet another truly awful killing in the US of a black member of the public by police officers, and the violent ANTIFA anarchist thugs. Both are very much a part of this unfolding mess. George Floyd's memory deserves far better than to have the latter group peddle their very nasty and destructive agenda in his name. We probably need two threads: The peaceful protest George Floyd thread and the ANTIFA violence, intimidation and anarchy thread.
George Floyd's memory deserves far better than to have the open carrying neo nazis turn up at every peaceful ****ing protest too, but they live for it and will continue to do so, safe in the knowledge that people like you will blame "Antifa".

Just had our second night of it here. Curfewed from 5pm to 5am again, this time with armed guards on the door of my apartment complex. Woke up to news of more black deaths elsewhere in the country. Forgive me if I lack a little patience today.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
George Floyd's memory deserves far better than to have the open carrying neo nazis turn up at every peaceful ****ing protest too, but they live for it and will continue to do so, safe in the knowledge that people like you will blame "Antifa".

Just had our second night of it here. Curfewed from 5pm to 5am again, this time with armed guards on the door of my apartment complex. Woke up to news of more black deaths elsewhere in the country. Forgive me if I lack a little patience today.
Seconded.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:39 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

There has been criticism here of police not having numbers displayed, and body cams not being on. Our Mayor's response to the latter was to quote the SPD policy manual, which I have looked up and repeat here: “…officers will not record people lawfully exercising their freedom of speech, press, association, assembly, or religion. However, if officers have probable cause that criminal activity is occurring or are ordered to by a supervisor, they will turn the cameras on.” Too easy to abuse this, I'd say.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It's a proper witches brew. Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if there are so called neo nazis there as well and most likely a heap of other opportunists each also pursuing their particular agenda. To be honest I see little difference between neo nazis and the ironically named Antifa. Both are purveyors of hatred and intolerance and both use racial and other divisions to further their causes.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There has been criticism here of police not having numbers displayed, and body cams not being on. Our Mayor's response to the latter was to quote the SPD policy manual, which I have looked up and repeat here: “…officers will not record people lawfully exercising their freedom of speech, press, association, assembly, or religion. However, if officers have probable cause that criminal activity is occurring or are ordered to by a supervisor, they will turn the cameras on.” Too easy to abuse this, I'd say.

IMO the body cams should be on whilst they are on duty.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:51 pm

You have an apparently unjust, often racist, always unequal society where a tiny percentage of the population own the vast majority of the wealth, with a constant undercurrent of violence of multiple kinds, which uses unpaid or barely paid prison labor for profit, which funnels a percentage of its population into prisons at a far higher rate than other developed countries, which can't fund a health care service or provide PPE but apparently has an unlimited supply of weaponry and tear gas to use against the civilian population and then, with yet another police killing as a trigger the tinder box explodes but somehow it's the fault of antifa, rather than antifa being just another product of this system? And then those protesting aren't protesting in a way approved by those who have all the advantages and who have never experienced anything of this kind and never will, yet want to be the arbiters of how people should behave? Hypocrisy and cant is all that is.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:01 pm
Auntie Fa

Doesn't pay to be from the press, it seems.

<snip>

http://twitter.com/AGuzmanLopez/status/1267269781805137920
edit: Sorry I've just re-read and it's not here, duplicate roadnames. Deleted.

Last edited by Kooky.; Jun 1st 2020 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:06 pm
Democracy advocate

You have an apparently unjust, often racist, always unequal society where a tiny percentage of the population own the vast majority of the wealth, with a constant undercurrent of violence of multiple kinds, which uses unpaid or barely paid prison labor for profit, which funnels a percentage of its population into prisons at a far higher rate than other developed countries, which can't fund a health care service or provide PPE but apparently has an unlimited supply of weaponry and tear gas to use against the civilian population and then, with yet another police killing as a trigger the tinder box explodes but somehow it's the fault of antifa, rather than antifa being just another product of this system? And then those protesting aren't protesting in a way approved by those who have all the advantages and who have never experienced anything of this kind and never will, yet want to be the arbiters of how people should behave? Hypocrisy and cant is all that is.
House!
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:23 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

edit: Sorry I've just re-read and it's not here, duplicate roadnames. Deleted.
Did 3rd and Pine throw you? It did me.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:44 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Did 3rd and Pine throw you? It did me.
Yes and I was incensed because I was watching a very peaceful march along there at the time of the tweet! (I live on the corner of 2nd & Pike and had just got in from HMart on 2nd & Pine when they left Westlake).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.