Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old Jun 19th 2020, 12:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Although arguing is only a couple of small changes away from agreeing.
And vice versa
Old Jun 19th 2020, 12:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

They reminded me of Craig Ferguson's Late Night show some years ago. He told of getting into a bar fight in Glasgow and shouting at his opponent "Outside and fight you English bastard!" and the other guy replying "Let's go! I'll ******* kill you, you English bastard!" Then in an aside Ferguson explains "Of course, neither of us was Englush, but it helps get the blood up."
Old Jun 19th 2020, 12:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Ah yes, Steve Turley. Never misses an opportunity to flog his books . Currently offering the "Nationalist Populist Book Bundle With Swag" (the swag being a MAGA hat and a coffee mug with Stevie's own logo on it. A snip at $154.) He doesn't disclose his speaker fees.
There ought to be some sort of performance indicator for the various purveyors of videos, 'columns' from Rebel Media, Black Pigeon, alt-right etc
A sort of Stooge League Table.

Points could be awarded for 'clicks' on the various links but each participant loses points for posting what is really a satirical piece; videos supported in 'comments below' by the clearly deranged; blogs and/or videos from people with a string of convictions, most likely hate crimes; blogs and videos 'followed' by people with a string of hate crime convictions; blogs and videos from people following those with a record of hate speech...well...you get the picture.

There's a wooden spoon awarded to the one at the bottom and relegation to the second rate stooge league. Actually, that wooden spoon would help the poorly performing participant stir things up a bit and stand a good chance of promotion next time. Rather like the parachute payments clubs get when relegated from the premier league.

But what does the winning stooge get?
Old Jun 19th 2020, 12:55 pm
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't arguing with anyone
Old Jun 19th 2020, 1:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
They reminded me of Craig Ferguson's Late Night show some years ago. He told of getting into a bar fight in Glasgow and shouting at his opponent "Outside and fight you English bastard!" and the other guy replying "Let's go! I'll ******* kill you, you English bastard!" Then in an aside Ferguson explains "Of course, neither of us was Englush, but it helps get the blood up."

Which in turn reminds me of a Scottish boxer - I forget his name - who had a world title fight which, for peak viewing time for the US TV audience, meant the fight took place in the early hours in Scotland. He was asked his opinion about the timing. No problem he said, "everyone fights at 2.00 in the morning in Glasgow."
Old Jun 19th 2020, 1:05 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Arguing
Agruing
Agreing
Agreeing

Old Jun 19th 2020, 1:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

No, we know.

Bristol is just being clever. You know what he's like.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 1:24 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you were!
Old Jun 19th 2020, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Yes you were!
Hold on, he hasn't paid for his argument yet. Does he want the full hour or just the half?
Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:11 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, I know this one. Apologize is the standard American spelling, apologise is now the standard British spelling but is in fact a newer form of spelling the word. Apologize used to be standard in the UK as well, until the upstart use of the s came in, and like other words (gotten) the older form persisted in the US.
Slight off-topic, but I have 5 eggs here..... the "standard" argument is an invention, because spelling was anybody's game in the C17th and language changes over time. Webster decided what he thought was "the best" for American English, often to remove silent letters or to "more closely reflect pronunciation". Often this just meant changing words where the spelling was derivied from old French, an integral part of the development of modern English - and often the results are insconsistent. For example in the USA "thru" is the standard spelling, not "through"...... yet US spelling retains "throughout"; In British English a "meter" is a counter that measures, a "metre" is a unit of measurement and both US and British English agree on "metrification".

The "ize" and "ise" endings are because Webster wanted to directly use the Greek endings, whereas the British English versions are derived from old French. The internet is pushing US spellings, due to site ownership and user-base, with British spellings often only defined as the British equivalent of a US term, biut of course it's not only the Brits who are the "holdouts" here - in 1990 the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the metal derived from alumina, but in 1993 they were pressured into accepting aluminum as an acceptable variant.

On ise/ize, I use whatever "looks" right in the circumstances and probably use both versions of the same word...... which is acceptable outside the USA. But then, that's the Irish for you!!
Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:17 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on, he hasn't paid for his argument yet. Does he want the full hour or just the half?
I'm staying outa this.... there'll be wigs on the green! Tuppence ye don't fight!!

(Any excuse to use some of my favourite phrases from back home!)
Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Slight off-topic, but I have 5 eggs here..... the "standard" argument is an invention, because spelling was anybody's game in the C17th and language changes over time. Webster decided what he thought was "the best" for American English, often to remove silent letters or to "more closely reflect pronunciation". Often this just meant changing words where the spelling was derivied from old French, an integral part of the development of modern English - and often the results are insconsistent. For example in the USA "thru" is the standard spelling, not "through"...... yet US spelling retains "throughout"; In British English a "meter" is a counter that measures, a "metre" is a unit of measurement and both US and British English agree on "metrification".

The "ize" and "ise" endings are because Webster wanted to directly use the Greek endings, whereas the British English versions are derived from old French. The internet is pushing US spellings, due to site ownership and user-base, with British spellings often only defined as the British equivalent of a US term, biut of course it's not only the Brits who are the "holdouts" here - in 1990 the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the metal derived from alumina, but in 1993 they were pressured into accepting aluminum as an acceptable variant.

On ise/ize, I use whatever "looks" right in the circumstances and probably use both versions of the same word...... which is acceptable outside the USA. But then, that's the Irish for you!!
Was "ize" not the more frequently used version in the UK, prior to the arrival of "ise"? I know they didn't care much about spelling at all, formally, but I thought that "ize' was just the usual spelling (rather than the "correct") spelling.

And yes, I think Webster's charge was to create a distinctive "American" English. I've been in the US so long I have trouble with all the ize ise endings and can't remember which is which when half the time.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

So you claim to dislike Alex Jones but you're fine with a guy that champions him.

O-k-a-y....
I'm not aware of that, and I don't believe it to be true. But as I keep telling your comrade boss, it's normal and actually desirable to agree with some things people say and for other things to to disagree. You need to walk away from intolerant leftist groupthink and adopt independent and free thought. Speaking of which, here's an interesting article:

Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:41 pm
Resident Cynic

Was "ize" not the more frequently used version in the UK, prior to the arrival of "ise"? I know they didn't care much about spelling at all, formally, but I thought that "ize' was just the usual spelling (rather than the "correct") spelling.

And yes, I think Webster's charge was to create a distinctive "American" English. I've been in the US so long I have trouble with all the ize ise endings and can't remember which is which when half the time.
Who decides? Webster did, for his own reasons..... and so do most commentators today.
The problem is that if you look on the web you will find articles or sites biased towards the US versions... such as Grammarist, who seem to suggest that the use of "ise" is an anti-American plot and due to the demise of classical education...... whilst entirely ignoring the fact that this ending derives from old French, from which most "classical" references derive (since Anglo-Saxon didn't have them).
Old Jun 19th 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Who decides? Webster did, for his own reasons..... and so do most commentators today.
The problem is that if you look on the web you will find articles or sites biased towards the US versions... such as Grammarist, who seem to suggest that the use of "ise" is an anti-American plot and due to the demise of classical education...... whilst entirely ignoring the fact that this ending derives from old French, from which most "classical" references derive (since Anglo-Saxon didn't have them).
I'm actually in the 17th century on this one. As long as we are communicating as we wish, I'm not sure that spelling matters at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.