Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:23 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I find it all so sad. If those counter-protesters had just peacefully rallied with their own signs, actually thought out what it is they were for/against and had the courage to write their own words and display their own thoughts clearly, then while I may not have agreed with their message I would have had more respect for them.
That's a tough ask though. That isn't a crowd that has a coherent for/against philosophy, in the same way as people might disagree over the best way to address the inequities. They want the inequities to persist. It's just fear and anger that they might not really be better than people who aren't white and you can't create much of a position out of that.

Meant to add - people are often afraid of change, and maybe they feel that change is in the air.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 19th 2020 at 2:33 am.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:38 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That's a tough ask though. That isn't a crowd that has a coherent for/against philosophy, in the same way as people might disagree over the best way to address the inequities. They want the inequities to persist. It's just fear and anger that they might not really be better than people who aren't white and you can't create much of a position out of that.
I agree that it's a tough ask and I don't expect it will ever happen. But if they really thought about it I think they could certainly come up with some sentences that describe what they believe in, and/or why they are so angry about anti-racism protests. They mightn't be pretty sentences, they mightn't even be coherent sentences, but they could do it if they really thought about it
Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:40 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the trouble with people today, there are no grey areas or room to agree or disagree with selected aspects of an opinion. If you criticize me you must hate everything about my existence. When I hear black lives matter, I hear "black lives matter too" not "only black lives matter" when my cousin lost her 3 month old girl, I didn't console her by telling her that hers wasn't the only baby in the world to ever die.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
This is the trouble with people today, there are no grey areas or room to agree or disagree with selected aspects of an opinion. If you criticize me you must hate everything about my existence. When I hear black lives matter, I hear "black lives matter too" not "only black lives matter" when my cousin lost her 3 month old girl, I didn't console her by telling her that hers wasn't the only baby in the world to ever die.
I'm sorry to hear about your cousin's baby Steve, that must have been heartbreaking for her and all the family.

I can only speak for myself, but I respect people's differences of opinion even when I abhor the opinion itself, but only if people actually clearly speak their 'truth'. That's what I was getting at when I was talking about the counter-protesters in Bethel, there was no clear indication of what they believed in, only aggression against the beliefs of others.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 3:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to talk when people are only shouting. And when people get too angry for too long they do shout. And in this instance I think that is the trouble. and the inequities need attending to on an urgent basis. I respect differences of opinion, but there are some views that I cannot respect at all. I didn't encounter the National Front on the streets of London in order to have a nice respectful listen, tbh.

I can't bear to think of your cousin's baby and I'm very sorry to hear it.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 19th 2020 at 3:20 am.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 3:22 am

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin's baby Steve, that must have been heartbreaking for her and all the family.

I can only speak for myself, but I respect people's differences of opinion even when I abhor the opinion itself, but only if people actually clearly speak their 'truth'. That's what I was getting at when I was talking about the counter-protesters in Bethel, there was no clear indication of what they believed in, only aggression against the beliefs of others.
I'm not sure that they could even articulate their ideas.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 3:35 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that all lives matter is an actual belief though, it's more to make it about them. Hard to believe that some people feel marginalised by the black lives matter campaign.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 3:49 am

I don't think that all lives matter is an actual belief though, it's more to make it about them. Hard to believe that some people feel marginalised by the black lives matter campaign.
Or to just devalue and trivialize the very real issues that people face. Which is the bit I truly don't understand. Why? More equity for people with dark skin doesn't mean less for those with white skin.

Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

That's ironic. Feeling marginalized is what "BLACK LIVES MATTER". is all about, you just don't get it. Black Americans have been marginalize since the first Africans were bought to this country in chains.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 6:10 am
idealist

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
That's ironic. Feeling marginalized is what "BLACK LIVES MATTER". is all about, you just don't get it. Black Americans have been marginalize since the first Africans were bought to this country in chains.
that's what I was getting at, are you arguing with me or agreeing with me ?
Old Jun 19th 2020, 6:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad was a paid up member of the National Front in the 70s and had a copy of Mein Kampf by his bedside. Obviously I totally disagreed with his standpoint. Was the greatest dad I had and he's been gone 30 years, I'd love to still be able to get into a harmless but noisy argument with him. We didn't feel the need to abuse or hurt each other just argue, it wasn't hard.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

that's what I was getting at, are you arguing with me or agreeing with me ?
I apologize if I misinterpreted you.
"Black lives matter" seems to be a problem for a lot of people.

Last edited by johnwoo; Jun 19th 2020 at 7:16 am.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 7:18 am
idealist

not for me, no need to apologise, is my spelling the American one or yours?
Old Jun 19th 2020, 12:18 pm

not for me, no need to apologise, is my spelling the American one or yours?

Wait, I know this one. Apologize is the standard American spelling, apologise is now the standard British spelling but is in fact a newer form of spelling the word. Apologize used to be standard in the UK as well, until the upstart use of the s came in, and like other words (gotten) the older form persisted in the US.

Also, yes, the two of you are agreeing.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 12:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Also, yes, the two of you are agreeing.
Although arguing is only a couple of small changes away from agreeing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.