Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old Jun 1st 2020, 1:14 pm
Banned

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It's a bit tricky, especially give your last condition of who doesn't count since quite a few have been deleted by The Boss. But some are left that you can reread.
You certainly distorted my post totally and completely - I will leave it to you to live with whether you have done that deliberately or not. Not liking me, is not an excuse to gaslight what I have said.

It is no secret that violence and looting distracts from the real problems at hand. You are not using these threads to promote and glorify violence, are you? If you are, I am pretty sure "The Boss" will have something to say about that too.

I have no idea what is in the deleted posts.

You should re-read Hiro11's post again, particularly as he complains that looters are distracting people from the real problem, bashes the police thoroughly in his second point, states directly that systemic racism is a problem, and so on. I do not know if his statistics are correct about the crime rates but he is not incorrect in saying they are high across several indicators - nor is it exactly new that there are trust issues between the public and the press. I do not know how you got any of your 8 or 9 points from what he was saying except as a distortion. I do not care what his opinion of the BLM leaders is and I do not have an opinion myself.

I encourage you to retract and edit your post. From what you have replied - your 8 or 9 points appear to be a wild fabrication.

Last edited by carcajou; Jun 1st 2020 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 1:18 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on, this isn't about George or BLM anymore - it's a bunch on antifa-like anarchists and hood-rats deciding they're up for a post-covid rumble and want to steal some shit. They have dragged any BLM protesters into their game who now get tarred with the same brush.

Anarchy can be fun, chasing after police cars and others and smashing them up - yeah! F the po-po!
Old Jun 1st 2020, 1:42 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Come on guys and gals keep it on thread.
The rationalization that our lives are worthy and earned independently, without consideration of external factors, and those that fall behind are likewise falling because of personal failures and also cocooned from external factors is very much on thread, and a very common trope within racism.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:12 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
I do not know if his statistics are correct about the crime rates
Sources:
Population of black Americans: 40.6MM ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._United_States )
Population of white Americans (including Hispanic whites): 234.4MM ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._United_States )
Population of white Americans (excluding Hispanic whites): 197.3MM ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._United_States )

Per FBI in 2017 https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-6.xls:
- Total black Americans murdered: 2,970 (rate: 0.00731%)
- Total white Americans murdered: 3,567 (rate: 0.00152%, the rate among black Americans is 4.8x higher)
- Total non-Hispanic white Americans murdered: 2,743 (rate: 0.00139%, the rate among black Americans is 5.3x higher)

- Total black murder offenders: 3,263 (rate: 0.00804%)
- Total white murder offenders: 3,252 (rate: 0.00139%, the rate of black offenders is 5.8X higher)
- Total non-Hispanic white murder offenders: 2,494 (rate: 0.00126%, the rate of black offenders is 6.4x higher)

Both the murder victimization rate and the murder offending rate is much, much higher among black Americans than it is among any other ethnic/racial group. If you expand to include other violent crime like robbery, the both the victimization rate and offending rate are even higher among black Americans when compared to other ethnic/racial groups. This seems like a huge issue to me and something worth discussing. Also, I don't buy that these numbers are tainted by racism as is sometimes argued by academics. I'm sorry, there's not a large number of white murderers or victims the FBI is turning its back on.

- Total number of white Americans killed by black Americans: 576 (rate: 0.001418%)
- Total number of black Americans killed by white Americans: 264 (rate: 0.000113%, the above is 12.6x higher)

Note: I don't think blacks killing whites is "the real problem", note that the rate is incredibly, insignificantly low. Inter-race murders in general are astonishingly rare. My issue is the media pouncing on every instance of a white person killing a black person without providing the context the the reverse is (comparably speaking) far more common (although still ridiculously rare). For context: 1,208 Americans dies in childbirth last year.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jun 1st 2020 at 2:32 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I do not usually discuss deleted posts but this time I will make an exception. Trolling as per usual, Boiler made a comment about TVs. His trolling post and subsequent replies were deleted. I do not think his remarks have any place in this thread, a thread about a black man who was killed/murdered by white cops.

Edit: I have deleted a few more off topic threads.

Please have some respect for George FLoyd and keep this thread on topic. Thanks.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 1st 2020 at 2:33 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Derek Chauvin was supposed to appear in court Monday, according to the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, but his court date has been pushed back to June 8.

Chauvin's bail is set at $500,000.

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/42194455...il-in-24-hours

Hope this doesn't cause more unrest.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 5:40 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

The level of public "buy-in" for helping the cops appears to be at a low ebb. Deservedly so. IMO. YMMMV. Etc.

Cops request videos. Get lots.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 5:44 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how advanced facial recognition software is these days - whether than can run all the videos we've seen online against State databases of driving licences, passports, previous arrests etc and garner the identification of all these criminals?

I also wonder if there is a political will to prosecute them or whether soft racism will let it all ride.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

There are two groups emerging: Those who genuinely want to protest yet another truly awful killing in the US of a black member of the public by police officers, and the violent ANTIFA anarchist thugs. Both are very much a part of this unfolding mess. George Floyd's memory deserves far better than to have the latter group peddle their very nasty and destructive agenda in his name. We probably need two threads: The peaceful protest George Floyd thread and the ANTIFA violence, intimidation and anarchy thread.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 5:53 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
I wonder how advanced facial recognition software is these days - whether than can run all the videos we've seen online against State databases of driving licences, passports, previous arrests etc and garner the identification of all these criminals?

I also wonder if there is a political will to prosecute them or whether soft racism will let it all ride.
Wasn't that as seen in "CSI" about a decade ago? Amazing stuff they had. Could track anybody in a split second using face recognition software.

"Find Ed Smith!". Keyboard clicks... "Yep, boss, we got him at the corner of maple and 5th in Barkersville, Kentucky". "OK, fire up the jet, let's go". Minutes later, arrest.

Last edited by amideislas; Jun 1st 2020 at 5:58 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 5:55 pm
Democracy advocate

Not sure if you've seen this one - nothing overtly ugly in it, but is counter to the early stuff I heard.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-back-n1220856

Really shows how dangerous social media is these days - you don't get to see the before/after the videos or they are edited or they are real.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 5:57 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
There are two groups emerging: Those who genuinely want to protest yet another truly awful killing in the US of a black member of the public by police officers, and the violent ANTIFA anarchist thugs. Both are very much a part of this unfolding mess. George Floyd's memory deserves far better than to have the latter group peddle their very nasty and destructive agenda in his name. We probably need two threads: The peaceful protest George Floyd thread and the ANTIFA violence, intimidation and anarchy thread.
I'd say three groups to be honest.
Honest decent people wanting to protest the killing.
Antifa/anarchists wanting a punch-up and to disturb capitalism.
Hood-rats wanting to kick a few people and steal stuff.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

China has perfected that technology but we really don't want that kind of thing.

During the riots the police have deployed spotters photographing those who stoked up and participated in violence and theft. I'm sure given time they will be identified and brought to justice.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd say three groups to be honest.
Honest decent people wanting to protest the killing.
Antifa/anarchists wanting a punch-up and to disturb capitalism.
Hood-rats wanting to kick a few people and steal stuff.
Yes, true. I overlooked the last group.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you've seen this one - nothing overtly ugly in it, but is counter to the early stuff I heard.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-back-n1220856

Really shows how dangerous social media is these days - you don't get to see the before/after the videos or they are edited or they are real.

the video shows absolutely nothing of value IMO. The cops could have been knocking the living daylights out of whoever or whatever is in the back seat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.