Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old May 31st 2020, 8:33 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Harvard analysis from 4 years ago:

This paper explores racial differences in police use of force. On non-lethal uses of force, blacks and Hispanics are more than fifty percent more likely to experience some form of force in interactions with police. Adding controls that account for important context and civilian behavior reduces, but cannot fully explain, these disparities. On the most extreme use of force –officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account. We argue that the patterns in the data are consistent with a model in which police officers are utility maximizers, a fraction of which have a preference for discrimination, who incur relatively high expected costs of officer-involved shootings.
https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fr...es_figures.pdf

Old May 31st 2020, 8:34 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
He was arrested pretty quickly.

The issue is the repeated violence to which people are subject due to the colour of their skin. The man hunted down and killed while out jogging in Georgia, where the killers weren't even going to be prosecuted until the video came to light, the woman killed (by police) while sleeping in her own apartment, etc etc etc. It goes on and on and on. It's the repeated, unending string of incidents that provoke the anger, on top of the longstanding structural disadvantages that black people in this country face both under and outside the law. It's no wonder that yet another police killing provoked this anger, and as for the looting and destruction, it's not surprising that people who feel excluded from the benefits of society feel no investment in it or responsibility towards it.
What are these?
Old May 31st 2020, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a few protests in Vancouver this week, one today as well. Far smaller and non-violent, no arrests have been made.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.5592178

Generally here in Vancouver as long as protesters stay non-violent and there isn't a court order, Vancouver Police just observe , and do traffic control.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 12:45 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Just viewed an arrest from Seattle, TV. I was shocked to see the cops knee in the neck being pushed down, and at that moment the second cop who was putting on the cuffs, reaches over and yanks the other cops knee from the neck to the back
Old Jun 1st 2020, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Just viewed an arrest from Seattle, TV. I was shocked to see the cops knee in the neck being pushed down, and at that moment the second cop who was putting on the cuffs, reaches over and yanks the other cops knee from the neck to the back
I saw that on tonight’s news. Unbelievable.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I saw that on tonight’s news. Unbelievable.
Obviously not as you just saw it happen AGAIN. I am watching the CNN special I Cant Breathe. They just interviewed his brother and he just asked the Minneapolis police Chief as to why the other 3 officers have not been arrested and will his brother get justice? The Chief was very honest, respectful and sincere and said by their silence they were complicit in these events. Remember the Chief fired all 4 officers his brother is referring to and 1 has been arrested and charged.
It was apparent that the brother was distressed and it is unclear if he got the answer he wanted. Lots of other video evidence has surfaced and it does appear that he was already in the back of a police vehicle and restrained before the video we all saw.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

CC camera from local business doesn't appear to support the claim that Floyd was resisting arrest, and shows that Floyd had been handcuffed some time before.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/us/vi...rnd/index.html
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Obviously not as you just saw it happen AGAIN. I am watching the CNN special I Cant Breathe. They just interviewed his brother and he just asked the Minneapolis police Chief as to why the other 3 officers have not been arrested and will his brother get justice? The Chief was very honest, respectful and sincere and said by their silence they were complicit in these events. Remember the Chief fired all 4 officers his brother is referring to and 1 has been arrested and charged.
It was apparent that the brother was distressed and it is unclear if he got the answer he wanted. Lots of other video evidence has surfaced and it does appear that he was already in the back of a police vehicle and restrained before the video we all saw.
Has the DA said anything as to why the others haven't been charged with anything? Surely there is something they could be charged with, a conviction is another story however.

There was a heated argument on reddit accusing the paramedics of not doing anything quickly, but nobody accusing the paramedics could provide proof, the video I saw from the Washington Post and the time line, paramedics arrived on scene at 8:27 and left the scene for the hospital about 4 minutes later, according to the fire department report paramedics were in the back working on George trying to resuscitate.

Seems possibly the paramedics choosing a load and go seems to be taken by some as not doing anything because they didn't stay on scene for an extended time, but maybe there is another video I haven't seen that shows something else, I am just going by the time line Washington Post reported.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jun 1st 2020 at 2:33 am.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Has the DA said anything as to why the others haven't been charged with anything? Surely there is something they could be charged with, a conviction is another story however.
Not that I am aware of and Yes they could be charged with something. Don't ask me what but I am sure if I studied the Minnesota Statutes in detail I could come up with something.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...T%253B+VICTIMS
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:57 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

My opinions on this:

1. F%$^ these looters and arsonists. Seriously, f#$% off. You are the problem. You want to neatly undercut the viable reasons for the protest? You want to strengthen the hand of your opponents? This is how you do it.

2. Systemic racism exists, but it's only one problem with American police. In fact I would argue racism is not nearly as big a problem as the militarization of police and the general asshole-ness of police. Every interaction I've ever had with the police has been unnecessarily confrontational and insulting. Police have consistently sought to escalate situations I've been involved in, not diffuse them. If you say anything to the police, I guarantee it will be used in the worst possible way against you. Police seem more concerned with ensuring that they have infuriating schoolyard bully power over you than with justice, protection and service (ha). As I'm a white guy, I think this goes deeper than racism. Police hiring and training needs revolutionary reform. The police need to earn respect, they can't just take it for granted. I'm sure policemen and policewomen have their side of the story, I can only report on my experience.

3. It's hard for me to take BLM supporters and leaders seriously when they are silent on cataclysmic violent crime rates in the black community. Deafeningly silent. People saying these are unrelated issues are being willfully obtuse. The ridiculously high violent crime rates in black neighborhoods and police brutality in black neighborhoods are related issues. I also don't buy that black crime is an outcome of white racism. People are responsible for their own actions. Note: this of course does not excuse Floyd's murder and does not mean that the anger over Floyd's murder isn't justified.

4. Similarly, it's irritating to me that the murder of Ahmaud Arbery was uproarious front page news for weeks while no one in the press mentioned that over double the number of white people are killed by black people every year. This is made even worse when you realize that there are 5x as many white people as black people in the US making the rate of black Americans killing white Americans far, far higher than the reverse. This seems like relevant context to provide, but it undercuts the narrative that white racists killing black men is a supposedly a huge issue in the US and is therefore ignored. Note that both are very rare when compared to intra-race murder, another extremely relevant fact. This all makes me distrust press coverage of the issue and roll my eyes at the resulting fury. Perhaps racism was a factor in Arbery's killing, but murder is murder.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jun 1st 2020 at 3:18 am.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:42 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."
Old Jun 1st 2020, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
My opinions on this:

1. F%$^ these looters and arsonists. Seriously, f#$% off. You are the problem. You want to neatly undercut the viable reasons for the protest? You want to strengthen the hand of your opponents? This is how you do it.

2. Systemic racism exists, but it's only one problem with American police. In fact I would argue racism is not nearly as big a problem as the militarization of police and the general asshole-ness of police. Every interaction I've ever had with the police has been unnecessarily confrontational and insulting. Police have consistently sought to escalate situations I've been involved in, not diffuse them. If you say anything to the police, I guarantee it will be used in the worst possible way against you. Police seem more concerned with ensuring that they have infuriating schoolyard bully power over you than with justice, protection and service (ha). As I'm a white guy, I think this goes deeper than racism. Police hiring and training needs revolutionary reform. The police need to earn respect, they can't just take it for granted. I'm sure policemen and policewomen have their side of the story, I can only report on my experience.

3. It's hard for me to take BLM supporters and leaders seriously when they are silent on cataclysmic violent crime rates in the black community. Deafeningly silent. People saying these are unrelated issues are being willfully obtuse. The ridiculously high violent crime rates in black neighborhoods and police brutality in black neighborhoods are related issues. I also don't buy that black crime is an outcome of white racism. People are responsible for their own actions. Note: this of course does not excuse Floyd's murder and does not mean that the anger over Floyd's murder isn't justified.

4. Similarly, it's irritating to me that the murder of Ahmaud Arbery was uproarious front page news for weeks while no one in the press mentioned that over double the number of white people are killed by black people every year. This is made even worse when you realize that there are 5x as many white people as black people in the US making the rate of black Americans killing white Americans far, far higher than the reverse. This seems like relevant context to provide, but it undercuts the narrative that white racists killing black men is a supposedly a huge issue in the US and is therefore ignored. Note that both are very rare when compared to intra-race murder, another extremely relevant fact. This all makes me distrust press coverage of the issue and roll my eyes at the resulting fury. Perhaps racism was a factor in Arbery's killing, but murder is murder.

Well said on all points.

<<<SNIP>>>. Such behavior on a nationwide scale results in the correct lessons not being learned and subsequent wrong or inadequate remedies being delivered. Meanwhile, we'll continue to bear witness to yet more depressingly-sad events such as the one that callously robbed George Floyd of his life.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 2nd 2020 at 10:01 am. Reason: Stop stirring
Old Jun 1st 2020, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

US city's need to up the educational requirements for police as well as increase the pay to attract better applicants, and redesign whatever testing they currently do to hire because its not working and seems to result in bullies and pricks being hired, and US police need to 100% train and really push deescalation because police do seem to escalate many situations and train not to go straight to their guns, there are other ways to stop threats than shooting someone.

Never talk to US cops, invoke your rights the moment they want you to talk.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The protesting in Vancouver was actually larger than I originally thought it was.

https://i.redd.it/4nkj0gkb18251.jpg

Peaceful though and as far as I know no arrests or altercations.

Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Things turned US style in Montreal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...test-1.5592643

Who would of thought a police killing someone in the US would lead to such protests in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.