Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old May 31st 2020, 4:23 pm
  #16  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 57,072
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
It took a couple of days to arrest and charge him. If he was a civilian he would have been arrested the same day.

At what point should have the officer been arrested? We have all seen the video so could he have been arrested while he was still kneeling on his neck? at the point where Mr
Floyd was placed into the ambulance? or once it became known that he had died?
Who is responsible for his arrest and once the arrest is made certain legal procedures have to be followed and if not could lead to a finding of the arrest being unlawful. For arguments sake lets us say he was arrested that same day and he was given his Miranda rights. He would be then taken to a Police station for booking procedures. An official will compile the suspect's name, contact information, the nature of the alleged crime (including the code section), and other vital statistics. Once you're arrested and booked, your case is provided to the appropriate prosecutor's office where an independent decision is made as to what charges should be filed, if any. You have the right to a speedy trial, which usually means that the prosecutor must file any charges within 72 hours (48 hours in some states). A prosecutor is not bound by the initial charge decision and can later change the crimes charged once more evidence is obtained.

So you are the official at the booking centre at that particular time it is now your responsibility to record the applicable code section. Do you think you have sufficient information?

I am not having a go at you personally but as we can see it is not a simple as some people think.

Can you imagine the outrage had the officer been arrested and it was later established that his rights had been violated.
I suspect some will be wondering why he cant be sentenced on Monday as he was arrested on Friday and why it couldn't be a speedy trial. No matter what happens next some will say let the Justice System do it's job and there will be those who say Justice will never be done as the Justice System is corrupt, biased or whatever other term some will describe it as.

https://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina...t-process.html
Tbh, I'm just relieved that he was arrested and charged at all, which says something in itself. We will see how the trial goes. My main points are around the society that we have built that allows this sort of thing to happen again and again and again, whether the perpetrator is uniformed or not.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 4:28 pm
  #17  
BE Forum Addict
 
Boomhauer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,460
Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
It took a couple of days to arrest and charge him. If he was a civilian he would have been arrested the same day.

At what point should have the officer been arrested? We have all seen the video so could he have been arrested while he was still kneeling on his neck? at the point where Mr
Floyd was placed into the ambulance? or once it became known that he had died?
Who is responsible for his arrest and once the arrest is made certain legal procedures have to be followed and if not could lead to a finding of the arrest being unlawful. For arguments sake lets us say he was arrested that same day and he was given his Miranda rights. He would be then taken to a Police station for booking procedures. An official will compile the suspect's name, contact information, the nature of the alleged crime (including the code section), and other vital statistics. Once you're arrested and booked, your case is provided to the appropriate prosecutor's office where an independent decision is made as to what charges should be filed, if any. You have the right to a speedy trial, which usually means that the prosecutor must file any charges within 72 hours (48 hours in some states). A prosecutor is not bound by the initial charge decision and can later change the crimes charged once more evidence is obtained.

So you are the official at the booking centre at that particular time it is now your responsibility to record the applicable code section. Do you think you have sufficient information?

I am not having a go at you personally but as we can see it is not a simple as some people think.

Can you imagine the outrage had the officer been arrested and it was later established that his rights had been violated.
I suspect some will be wondering why he cant be sentenced on Monday as he was arrested on Friday and why it couldn't be a speedy trial. No matter what happens next some will say let the Justice System do it's job and there will be those who say Justice will never be done as the Justice System is corrupt, biased or whatever other term some will describe it as.

​​​​​​​https://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina...t-process.html
The other police officers should have stopped him. He should have been arrested the same day , since the evidence clearly shows the victim begging to breathe and the policeman not allowing him to do so. From the Mayor of Minneapolis "Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail?" Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said in a press conference Wednesday. "If you had done it, or I had done it, we would be behind bars right now."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eo/5264887002/
Boomhauer is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 4:33 pm
  #18  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 57,072
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
The other police officers should have stopped him. He should have been arrested the same day , since the evidence clearly shows the victim begging to breathe and the policeman not allowing him to do so. From the Mayor of Minneapolis "Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail?" Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said in a press conference Wednesday. "If you had done it, or I had done it, we would be behind bars right now."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eo/5264887002/
Yes, I'm at a loss (or maybe not) as to why the other officers are not arrested as accomplices. According to the report, even after they found that Floyd had no pulse any more they let the man carry on kneeling on his neck.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 4:36 pm
  #19  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 18,064
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
The other police officers should have stopped him. He should have been arrested the same day , since the evidence clearly shows the victim begging to breathe and the policeman not allowing him to do so. From the Mayor of Minneapolis "Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail?" Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said in a press conference Wednesday. "If you had done it, or I had done it, we would be behind bars right now."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eo/5264887002/
So lets play a silly game why didn't that same person i.e The Mayor arrest him?

2019 Minnesota Statute and pay attention to subsection 629.37 paragraphs 2 or 3

629.37 WHEN PRIVATE PERSON MAY MAKE ARREST.

A private person may arrest another:

(1) for a public offense committed or attempted in the arresting person's presence;

(2) when the person arrested has committed a felony, although not in the arresting person's presence; or

(3) when a felony has in fact been committed, and the arresting person has reasonable cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.

History:

(10573) RL s 5232; 1985 c 265 art 10 s 1

Actions speak louder than words.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 4:36 pm
  #20  
BE Forum Addict
 
Boomhauer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,460
Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Tbh, I'm just relieved that he was arrested and charged at all, which says something in itself. We will see how the trial goes. My main points are around the society that we have built that allows this sort of thing to happen again and again and again, whether the perpetrator is uniformed or not.
When pondering on why society allows police to get away with abuse, I think back to the movie A Few Good Men, where Jack Nicholson's character explains to Tom Cruise's character that certain illegal actions have to be done and condoned to protect the nation.
Boomhauer is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 4:42 pm
  #21  
BE Forum Addict
 
Boomhauer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,460
Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
So lets play a silly game why didn't that same person i.e The Mayor arrest him?

2019 Minnesota Statute and pay attention to subsection 629.37 paragraph 2

629.37 WHEN PRIVATE PERSON MAY MAKE ARREST.

A private person may arrest another:

(1) for a public offense committed or attempted in the arresting person's presence;

(2) when the person arrested has committed a felony, although not in the arresting person's presence; or

(3) when a felony has in fact been committed, and the arresting person has reasonable cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.

History:

(10573) RL s 5232; 1985 c 265 art 10 s 1

Actions speak louder than words.
I would guess because the culprit is a policeman and not a regular civilian, so even the mayor feels pressure and does not want to create a volatile situation. The law you state works in theory, but reality is quite different. How many cases are you aware of where a civilian or non piece carrying elected official make a citizen's arrest on a member of law enforcement?
Boomhauer is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 4:51 pm
  #22  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 18,064
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I would guess because the culprit is a policeman and not a regular civilian, so even the mayor feels pressure and does not want to create a volatile situation. The law you state works in theory, but reality is quite different. How many cases are you aware of where a civilian or non piece carrying elected official make a citizen's arrest on a member of law enforcement?
Thats why I called it a silly game. I guess I could search the internet for hours/days to find if a case exists but I have other things to do.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 5:08 pm
  #23  
Auntie Fa
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,344
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I wonder if much of the rioting/violence could have been avoided if the officers had been arrested earlier?
Well AFAIK only one officer has been arrested and the charges are not adequate.

I can only speak for the Seattle events but I watched an activist's live feed for most of the protest, and the majority of protestors were peaceful and respectful. The protests were derailed by people who would find any protest going, to take advantage of. They don't care about George Floyd and they did harm to the whole Black Lives Matter movement. Today Seattle is a mess - this taken from my bedroom window last night about the time virtually every store in the shopping district was being looted, which was still going on when we went to bed at 1.30am - but a lot of good people are out there cleaning up. I hope that's not in vain.


Kooky. is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 5:16 pm
  #24  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 57,072
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

""In the CBS interview, lawyer Benjamin Crump also said "we now have the audio from the police bodycam and we hear where one officer says 'he doesn't have a pulse, maybe we should turn him on his side', but yet officer Chauvin says 'no, we're going to keep him in this position'. That's intent.

"Also, the fact that officer Chauvin kept his knee on his neck for almost three minutes after he was unconscious"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52869504
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 5:25 pm
  #25  
Auntie Fa
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,344
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

The fact that they worked at the same place, at the same time, makes me very suspicious.
Kooky. is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 5:44 pm
  #26  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,121
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Jadon Sancho had a "justice for George Floyd" shirt under his jersey after scoring for Dortmund today
kimilseung is online now  
Old May 31st 2020, 7:37 pm
  #27  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 13,738
anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I would guess because the culprit is a policeman and not a regular civilian, so even the mayor feels pressure and does not want to create a volatile situation. The law you state works in theory, but reality is quite different. How many cases are you aware of where a civilian or non piece carrying elected official make a citizen's arrest on a member of law enforcement?
Most states give the cop the benefit of the doubt, and some have laws requiring a waiting period allowing police to get their stories in line before giving statements.

Just think what would happen if cameras weren't so prevalent.
anotherlimey is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 8:18 pm
  #28  
BE Forum Addict
 
Boomhauer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,460
Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Most states give the cop the benefit of the doubt, and some have laws requiring a waiting period allowing police to get their stories in line before giving statements.

Just think what would happen if cameras weren't so prevalent.
The cops who killed that femlae EMT Breonna Taylor were not wearing bodycams, and exercised a no knock warrant at night. They were not obligated by law to wear cameras.
Boomhauer is offline  
Old May 31st 2020, 8:28 pm
  #29  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,121
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

"The United States of America will be designating ANTIFA as a Terrorist Organization."
Mr D Trump May 31 2020

kimilseung is online now  
Old May 31st 2020, 8:32 pm
  #30  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,880
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
"The United States of America will be designating ANTIFA as a Terrorist Organization."
Mr D Trump May 31 2020
About time.
Cape Blue is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.