Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

George Floyd

George Floyd

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 2:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Floyd

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
That'll be Barnard Castle, in County Durham.... :

I thought you seriously meant Umbria, and I was trying be funny
Yeah I did mean Umbria! And Calais! You’re right, as I’m from sarf the river, I get mixed up between Barnard Castle and Cumbria.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 2:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Oh god you’re right. I really need an eye test!
Better hop in that car.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 2:59 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Better hop in that car.
I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Logic failure. It may show the reason why that cop shot that person multiple times. It doesn't show the reason why unarmed people doing things like running away, or kneeling with their hands in the air, or sitting in their cars, are shot multiple times. Or at all.
That's not the point. Someone asked about why they shoot anyone so many times, not what intiates it.

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CTPLUcQAjk
Arrgh! As much as I loved Queen, that's one song I can't listen to. It makes my teeth feel funny.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
That's not the point. Someone asked about why they shoot anyone so many times, not what intiates it.
It's exactly the point. Your example may show the reason for one instance. You can't reason from the specific to the general.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

It's exactly the point. Your example may show the reason for one instance. You can't reason from the specific to the general.
Yes, I can, because they are trained that way. And that video shows why they are trained that way. Jhc.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 4:03 pm

Yes, I can, because they are trained that way. And that video shows why they are trained that way. Jhc.
I don't have anything to add really. I stand by what I said. Being trained to act a certain way in response to actual danger is one thing, but responses to situations where there is no actual danger another - unless you are saying that they are trained to shoot people who are unarmed, running away, lying on the ground handcuffed, kneeling with their hands in the air, or sitting quietly in their cars.

Your explanation isn't valid.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't have anything to add really. I stand by what I said. Being trained to act a certain way in response to actual danger is one thing, but responses to situations where there is no actual danger another - unless you are saying that they are trained to shoot people who are unarmed, running away, lying on the ground handcuffed, kneeling with their hands in the air, or sitting quietly in their cars.

Your explanation isn't valid.
You completely missed the point. I agree with the point you made, but it's got nothing to do with what I wrote.

There is a separation of what caused the shootings vs. How police act when they start shooting.

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 5:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You completely missed the point. I agree with the point you made, but it's got nothing to do with what I wrote.

There is a separation of what caused the shootings vs. How police act when they start shooting.
You keep maintaining it's the way they are trained. I'll remind you of post number 1100
Law enforcement officers should use only the amount of force necessary to mitigate an incident, make an arrest, or protect themselves or others from harm.
Are you saying their training is unlawful?
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

9mm is cheap, 50 cents before the Pandemic, more interestingly why would you not? A 9mm could put someone down with one shot but by no means a certainty.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
You keep maintaining it's the way they are trained. I'll remind you of post number 1100

Are you saying their training is unlawful?
You'll remind me that you're still wrong.

Juries have decided what's lawful and 5/6/10/20 rounds fired is well within those limits *if* the jury agrees the officer believed someone's life was in danger.

You're taking my comments as if I'm trying to justify murder. Which I'm not.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Oct 2nd 2020 at 7:10 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You're taking my comments as if I'm trying to justify murder.
No I'm not. You keep saying it's the way they are trained. If they are then their training is illegal. A jury may very well decide something else after an incident, we've seen examples of that before.

But when the law clearly states that part in the quote, I really don't see how the entire USA police training department could contradict it. I mean, if you are in possession of this knowledge why not report it with the evidence so that someone can do something about the unjustified killings?
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
No I'm not. You keep saying it's the way they are trained. If they are then their training is illegal. A jury may very well decide something else after an incident, we've seen examples of that before.

But when the law clearly states that part in the quote, I really don't see how the entire USA police training department could contradict it. I mean, if you are in possession of this knowledge why not report it with the evidence so that someone can do something about the unjustified killings?
Read again what you are quoting. Where does it say a cop can't use reasonable force?

The problem is only your definition of reasonable - based on your knowledge, education, and experience - is different from many US juries.

They are trained to keep shooting until the suspect stops being a threat. Juries have found that to be reasonable.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:47 pm
Oscar nominated

Read again what you are quoting. Where does it say a cop can't use reasonable force?
Seriously? I'll repeat it.
Law enforcement officers should use only the amount of force necessary to mitigate an incident, make an arrest, or protect themselves or others from harm.
Originally Posted by anotherlimey
The problem is only your definition of reasonable - based on your knowledge, education, and experience - is different from many US juries.
Again you are describing after the event.
They are trained to keep shooting until the suspect stops being a threat. Juries have found that to be reasonable.
That may very well be the case when the shooting is justified in the first place because of the threat. LiW has covered that with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.