British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   George Floyd (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/george-floyd-932948/)

Jerseygirl May 31st 2020 2:28 pm

George Floyd

I am surprised no one has opened a thread about George Floyd’s death/murder in Minneapolis last week. 4 cops were involved, they knelt on his body, one knelt on George’s neck for several minutes, despite him telling them he couldn’t breathe. The pictures are extremely disturbing.

Over the last few days there Have been riots in several US cities, LA, Chicago, NYC, Washington etc.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN2360FV

Former Lancastrian May 31st 2020 2:30 pm

Re: George Floyd

Quite a number of comments on this subject are in the TIO thread on President Trump.

robin1234 May 31st 2020 2:31 pm

In practice, this has been the dominating fact in the TIO Trump thread since it happened.

Jerseygirl May 31st 2020 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12860168)
Quite a number of comments on this subject are in the TIO thread on President Trump.

I know...I read all the threads in TIO. ;) I thought George deserved a thread of his own rather than being associated with Trump.

robin1234 May 31st 2020 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860170)
I know...I read all the threads in TIO..

Even the “Brexit” ones?
:eek: :eek:

Jerseygirl May 31st 2020 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12860171)
Even the “Brexit” ones?
:eek: :eek:

:nod:

’fraid so.

back to George please.

Former Lancastrian May 31st 2020 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860170)
I know...I read all the threads in TIO. ;) I thought George deserved a thread of his own rather than being associated with Trump.

I agree with your sentiments but as with any thread there will be drift and the potential for it to get ugly because when people ask Why and how do we stop it that would open up multiple conversations and not do justice to the intent of the thread.

It is pretty obvious to me his death was caused by the actions of one or several police officers. One has been charged with murder in the 3rd degree and manslaughter. Charges may come against the other officers and then trials will be commenced and verdicts rendered. Even if maximum sentences are given some will say Justice was not delivered and more needs to be done.

Jerseygirl May 31st 2020 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12860176)
I agree with your sentiments but as with any thread there will be drift and the potential for it to get ugly because when people ask Why and how do we stop it that would open up multiple conversations and not do justice to the intent of the thread.

It is pretty obvious to me his death was caused by the actions of one or several police officers. One has been charged with murder in the 3rd degree and manslaughter. Charges may come against the other officers and then trials will be commenced and verdicts rendered. Even if maximum sentences are given some will say Justice was not delivered and more needs to be done.

I wonder if much of the rioting/violence could have been avoided if the officers had been arrested earlier?

Chatter Static May 31st 2020 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860178)
I wonder if much of the rioting/violence could have been avoided if the officers had been arrested earlier?

Too little to late, tends to be the catalyst in most events that end up like this.

But just as the Amy Cooper video shows racism comes in many forms and is highly weaponized in the US when leadership is an empty suit a fox hole Norman you have no hope of fixing it.

Lion in Winter May 31st 2020 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860178)

He was arrested pretty quickly.

The issue is the repeated violence to which people are subject due to the colour of their skin. The man hunted down and killed while out jogging in Georgia, where the killers weren't even going to be prosecuted until the video came to light, the woman killed (by police) while sleeping in her own apartment, etc etc etc. It goes on and on and on. It's the repeated, unending string of incidents that provoke the anger, on top of the longstanding structural disadvantages that black people in this country face both under and outside the law. It's no wonder that yet another police killing provoked this anger, and as for the looting and destruction, it's not surprising that people who feel excluded from the benefits of society feel no investment in it or responsibility towards it.

spouse of scouse May 31st 2020 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12860184)

The issue is the repeated violence to which people are subject due to the colour of their skin. The man hunted down and killed while out jogging in Georgia, where the killers weren't even going to be prosecuted until the video came to light, the woman killed (by police) while sleeping in her own apartment, etc etc etc. It goes on and on and on. It's the repeated, unending string of incidents that provoke the anger, on top of the longstanding structural disadvantages that black people in this country face both under and outside the law. It's no wonder that yet another police killing provoked this anger, and as for the looting and destruction, it's not surprising that people who feel excluded from the benefits of society feel no investment in it or responsibility towards it.

According to US national security advisor Robert O'Brien there's no systemic racism in the US, it doesn't exist. So that's ok then.

ps sorry I can't provide a link, it was reported in the Guardian's live feed about an hour ago, the item quoted O'Brien directly from an interview he did with CNN.

Lion in Winter May 31st 2020 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12860192)
According to US national security advisor Robert O'Brien there's no systemic racism in the US, it doesn't exist. So that's ok then.

ps sorry I can't provide a link, it was reported in the Guardian's live feed about an hour ago, the item quoted O'Brien directly from an interview he did with CNN.

This one I think?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/31/polit...ntv/index.html

His comment was about the police forces, specifically. How much racism is allowable, one wonders.

It's a complex problem though, not just a matter of the police. I know you know that of course.

Boomhauer May 31st 2020 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12860184)

It took a couple of days to arrest and charge him. If he was a civilian he would have been arrested the same day. The wider context is the lack of accountability , no real policing of the police and the an us vs. them mindset cops have. The D.A's office and the jurors at trials are enablers of police brutality. There are some cases where I wonder how did the cop get acquitted, case in point: the killing of the unarmed man in a Las Vegas hotel room , who was pleading for his life. Two cops giving conflicting instructions, and kill a man complying with their orders.

There are a lot of psychopaths in uniform , because society likes it that way.

Lion in Winter May 31st 2020 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12860201)
It took a couple of days to arrest and charge him. If he was a civilian he would have been arrested the same day. The wider context is the lack of accountability , no real policing of the police and the an us vs. them mindset cops have. The D.A's office and the jurors at trials are enablers of police brutality. There are some cases where I wonder how did the cop get acquitted, case in point: the killing of the unarmed man in a Las Vegas hotel room , who was pleading for his life. Two cops giving conflicting instructions, and kill a man complying with their orders.

There are a lot of psychopaths in uniform , because society likes it that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBUU...ctr=1590940332

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Quite the contrary. Institutional racism makes this treatment of black people possible, and has done for a very long time. All I meant was that the speed of his arrest isn't the main or root cause of the protests and riots. It's the systemic and repeated racism that has caused these things.

Former Lancastrian May 31st 2020 5:09 pm

It took a couple of days to arrest and charge him. If he was a civilian he would have been arrested the same day.

At what point should have the officer been arrested? We have all seen the video so could he have been arrested while he was still kneeling on his neck? at the point where Mr
Floyd was placed into the ambulance? or once it became known that he had died?
Who is responsible for his arrest and once the arrest is made certain legal procedures have to be followed and if not could lead to a finding of the arrest being unlawful. For arguments sake lets us say he was arrested that same day and he was given his Miranda rights. He would be then taken to a Police station for booking procedures. An official will compile the suspect's name, contact information, the nature of the alleged crime (including the code section), and other vital statistics. Once you're arrested and booked, your case is provided to the appropriate prosecutor's office where an independent decision is made as to what charges should be filed, if any. You have the right to a speedy trial, which usually means that the prosecutor must file any charges within 72 hours (48 hours in some states). A prosecutor is not bound by the initial charge decision and can later change the crimes charged once more evidence is obtained.

So you are the official at the booking centre at that particular time it is now your responsibility to record the applicable code section. Do you think you have sufficient information?

I am not having a go at you personally but as we can see it is not a simple as some people think.

Can you imagine the outrage had the officer been arrested and it was later established that his rights had been violated.
I suspect some will be wondering why he cant be sentenced on Monday as he was arrested on Friday and why it couldn't be a speedy trial. No matter what happens next some will say let the Justice System do it's job and there will be those who say Justice will never be done as the Justice System is corrupt, biased or whatever other term some will describe it as.

​​​​​​​https://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina...t-process.html