Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Free and fair elections for all...

Free and fair elections for all...

Old Nov 15th 2019, 12:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free and fair elections for all...

Fortunately the Tories will not have the opportunity to introduce their most devisive idea, that of people having to provide some sort of proof they are who they are, Driving License, Passport being two of them, possibly bus passes, which are the only official photo documentation. Bur there are many thousands of people who do NOT have such identity, and would therefore be excluded rom voting, and it's no suprise that the majority of those are likely to be in the lower income groups, traditionally Labour supporters.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 1:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jake.White View Post
hmm, well it was what came up via a quick google search. Here's another one which might make you feel a bit less paranoid about right wing conspiracy theories, again, just the result of a quick google search. There are plenty more out there in the public domain for all to see but I suspect I'm rather wasting my time with this as the concensus seems to be that all is well and good and I'm talking a load of shite....

"There are none so blind as those who refuse to see" (paraphrased)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-lutfur-rahman
Hint. “A quick Google search” does not necessarily yield results that will make your argument persuasive.

Old Nov 15th 2019, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post

Hint. “A quick Google search” does not necessarily yield results that will make your argument persuasive.

Lol mate. I'll take your advice as the font of all wisdom then and just ignore everything I read from now on as complete and utter lies....

Last edited by Jake.White; Nov 15th 2019 at 3:10 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 3:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol mate. I'll take your advice as the font of all wisdom then and just ignore everything I read from now on as complete and utter lies....
Not at all. You just need to open up your mind a bit, use your judgement, and try not to be too influenced by every conspiracy theory you read. And try to look at other people as unique individuals - not just as members of simplistically defined groups.

Old Nov 15th 2019, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Sage advice indeed (sarc) actually your patronising arrogance astounds me...

Last edited by Jake.White; Nov 15th 2019 at 4:23 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 8:06 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

The link below shows one example of how possible voter fraud can occur in general elections.. We all know that other instances of vote rigging can and have occurred in the past, particularly with the postal vote and in other areas of our somewhat messed up and twisted society. I wont go as far as to suggest that organisations such as momentum would ever go as far as trying to rig the general election - perish the thought. However.......

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-students-vote
Since you seem to have got off on slightly the wrong foot here, let's recap, shall we?

"The link below shows one example of how possible voter fraud can occur in general elections" is disingenuous at best and just outright wrong at worst. The practice described in the article linked is not fraudulent. In fact, since end-of-term travel plans are often a bit fluid for students and tend to change at short notice, registering in both home and university constituencies seems a sensible way to safeguard democratic rights and, indeed, ensure just the kind of free and fair election you describe in your title. Of course, as was pointed out several times in the article, registering to vote in two constituencies does not mean you can actually vote in both: it simply means that you're less likely to disenfranchise yourself by being in the wrong place on voting day.

Everything else you've said on this thread amounts to a bit of bluster about being called out on the inaccuracy of your very first sentence. Would you like to start again and have another go?
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

The link below shows one example of how possible voter fraud can occur in general elections.. We all know that other instances of vote rigging can and have occurred in the past, particularly with the postal vote and in other areas of our somewhat messed up and twisted society. I wont go as far as to suggest that organisations such as momentum would ever go as far as trying to rig the general election - perish the thought. However.......

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-students-vote

No Jake ..It shows a nasty Twitter campaign against those professors who tweeted their students to tell them what their RIGHTS were.. As the Conservatives had very cleverly chosen the date of the election to coincide with the date students would be leaving their Universities and colleges for the christmas break. Many would therefore probable not bother or have time to vote. Or not know where they were eligible to vote... University... or their home. ? In NONE of the tweets from the professors was there any incitement to double vote... but several of them got instant 'nasty' tweets from 'politically interested parties' accusing them of doing that. One woman professor got FIVE HUNDRED nasty tweets and had to block her account.... Reading what she wrote there ws no way her message could have been misconstrued .. This was a nasty Consevative based campaign to try and exclude students from the vote.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

It seems to me that everyone else here has completely missed the point. I'll reiterate that in my original post - and here it comes again in block capitals and underlined - I said how POSSIBLE voter fraud can occur. I didn't for a moment suggest that every single student was at it in order to promote some kind of skewed sixth form political thinking, just that it provides a POSSIBILITY for abuse of the system by some who might fancy their chances.

Electoral fraud and vote rigging via a number of routes such as the postal vote, and "advisors" in certain areas lurking around outside polling booths in order to "advise" constituents on how they should vote is a sore point and an increasing problem which has been well publicised in the media at various points in the past few years. What I take exception to is people choosing to deliberately misinterpret and misunderstand the original intent of what I wrote and then telling me from their high and mighty pedestal that I have to have a more open mind so that I can start thinking along the same lines as they do. Sorry, but I wont comply with that kind of arrogant thinking, and I wont start thinking that every single issue which doesn't fit some kind of convenient agenda for someone else is fake news just because others believe it is without carrying out any research on their own part.

And no Oakvillain, I don't want to have another go. I'll stick with what I originally wrote thanks, and if you choose to carry on misinterpreting every point I make and which is backed up by several links, that's up to you. If anyone else has some actual evidence that what I'm saying is completely wrong then please provide it and I will happily admit to being mistaken. Cheers.

Last edited by Jake.White; Nov 16th 2019 at 10:16 am.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 11:18 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Damned electoral register eh? Condoning the possibility of voter fraud...

When you can register in more than one place

It’s sometimes possible to register at 2 addresses (though you can only vote once in any election).

For example, if you’re a student with different home and term-time addresses, you may be able to register at both.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 11:40 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway who cares about voter fraud - how about government fraud?

Scotland Yard is assessing two allegations of electoral fraud after claims the Tories offered peerages to senior Brexit party figures to persuade them to stand down in the general election.
Farage has claimed he had repeatedly been offered a seat in the House of Lords in an attempt to persuade him to “go quietly”.

He said that when that failed, people working “deep inside No 10” had tried to bypass him, going directly to senior Brexit party figures and suggesting eight of them could be made peers if they could persuade him to withdraw more of his candidates.
Falconer’s letter includes a mention of Ann Widdecombe, the former Tory MP now standing for the Brexit party in Plymouth Sutton and Devonport.

Widdecombe said she was offered a role in the Brexit negotiations if she stepped aside.

Old Nov 16th 2019, 11:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
I keep thinking the Tory party can't get any grubbier, and then it does.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I keep thinking the Tory party can't get any grubbier, and then it does.
Agreed on that, but in truth I think they're all just about as bad as each other albeit in different ways...
Old Nov 16th 2019, 12:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
In the Daily Mail too. 2nd story when I looked earlier and lead story now.
Ann Widdecombe says she will 'swear on the Bible' she was offered top job
Old Nov 16th 2019, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
In the Daily Mail too. 2nd story when I looked earlier and lead story now.
Ann Widdecombe says she will 'swear on the Bible' she was offered top job
Considering that she is a previous Conservative Minister is it surprising that she would be offered a job???

Old Nov 16th 2019, 1:45 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but I wont comply with that kind of arrogant thinking, and I wont start thinking that every single issue which doesn't fit some kind of convenient agenda for someone else is fake news just because others believe it is without carrying out any research on their own part.
I did some research on that VoteWatch UK item that you posted as gen but which looked like a bit of fake news convenient agenda and couldn't find anything anywhere else to substantiate it.

You got any research of your own to back it up?

Oh, hang on. No, you won't have. It was an "exclusive"

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.