Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Old Nov 20th 2020, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

My wife bought her flu jab and was injected at our local pharmacia last week, the cost 10 euros .She is entitled to a free jab because of me ( My condition don't you know) we are both under 65.Last year we both were called to the local surgery for our jab but this year it is all totally different with the crisis she was waiting for a phone call and still waiting but because of me we bought hers because she is the one who goes out.I have been in self isolation since last march and will stay there until the vaccine The health service in spain is first class but under severe strain.I thought 10 euros was very reasonable.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 2:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
...she is the one who goes out.I have been in self isolation since last march...
Going by the photo you posted you could go out and walk for several hundred yards and not see anyone.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Going by the photo you posted you could go out and walk for several hundred yards and not see anyone.
That is true Bristoluk , I do not go shopping or to the local bars or markets now.The only places i have been is
Hospital
doctors
dentist
hearing test and ear plugs to fit my ear for swimming
eye test
I work out side on the garden and our plot, and if a neighbour stops i tell them i am isolating because of my condition and they understand.I have not seen any friends since march last year or sat and had a beer with them or meal.I have noticed that contact with all of them is slowly disappearing no home visits phone calls or any contact at all,you do get used to it.I live in a wonderful home and part of the world i have my sports on tv,books and computer and the cats also her in doors the sun to sit in.I can wait for the vaccine to come.P.S i can't stand wearing a mask so i am happy to stay home.I am very fortunate to have such a life of happiness and i hope things change for every one sooner than later.I do miss my daughter and grandchildren who are all safe and well,.I never knew what a fortunate man i am and i am.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 3:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I live in a wonderful home and part of the world i have my sports on tv,books and computer and the cats also her in doors the sun to sit in.
That sounds like what I was aiming for back in the 90s. I imagined living somewhere simple on the coast and as I don't drive, perhaps a small boat with an outboard motor to chug around the bay for supplies.

I ended up in Canada instead.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That is true Bristoluk , I do not go shopping or to the local bars or markets now.The only places i have been is
Hospital
doctors
dentist
hearing test and ear plugs to fit my ear for swimming
eye test
I work out side on the garden and our plot, and if a neighbour stops i tell them i am isolating because of my condition and they understand.I have not seen any friends since march last year or sat and had a beer with them or meal.I have noticed that contact with all of them is slowly disappearing no home visits phone calls or any contact at all,you do get used to it.I live in a wonderful home and part of the world i have my sports on tv,books and computer and the cats also her in doors the sun to sit in.I can wait for the vaccine to come.P.S i can't stand wearing a mask so i am happy to stay home.I am very fortunate to have such a life of happiness and i hope things change for every one sooner than later.I do miss my daughter and grandchildren who are all safe and well,.I never knew what a fortunate man i am and i am.
We are more or less the same...except we only get a few months of good weather IMO. I had an appointment for a hearing test which I cancelled and haven’t needed to see a doctor. I have been food shopping, but choose a time when the store is quiet, midweek and mid morning or mid afternoon. If the virus numbers here keep on rising, I will go back to having groceries delivered. Problem is I like to choose fresh produce myself. We do go for walks by the lake where it is quiet. 99.9% wear masks indoors, most wear them outside too. I don’t particularly like wearing a mask, makes my nose itch and sometimes makes me cough...but needs must.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

...I have been in self isolation since last march ...
I have not seen any friends since march last year ...
I assume you mean, since March of THIS year? It only seems like 20 months ...
Old Nov 24th 2020, 5:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got my EOB for my ‘flu shot and pneumonia shot, which I got at Walgreens last month.

Fluzone HD. Billed $66.19. plan paid $55.00 my share $0
Prevnar 13. Billed $$244.25. plan paid $215.00. my share $0

Next year, with maybe 200 million people in the US getting the COVID shot, the bureaucratic shuffling of papers will be prodigious. USPO’s financial problems will be over.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
J
Next year, with maybe 200 million people in the US getting the COVID shot, the bureaucratic shuffling of papers will be prodigious. USPO’s financial problems will be over.
Except many of us get these EOBs electronically...

What's keeping the USPS in business - aside from all the election advertising - is all the advertising for Medicare Advantage/Supplemental/Drug plans. So much crap to dump straight in the recycling bin.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Just got my EOB for my ‘flu shot and pneumonia shot, which I got at Walgreens last month.

Fluzone HD. Billed $66.19. plan paid $55.00 my share $0
Prevnar 13. Billed $$244.25. plan paid $215.00. my share $0

And the fact I got my flu shot at Costco for $15 cash (no insurance billed) suggests the real cost of even that $55 item is way overblown.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Except many of us get these EOBs electronically...
Come on Robin, sign up for e-docs!
Old Nov 24th 2020, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
And the fact I got my flu shot at Costco for $15 cash (no insurance billed) suggests the real cost of even that $55 item is way overblown.

Come on Robin, sign up for e-docs!
They gotta inflate those prices for insurance, probably one reason why insurance is so expensive.

Its like dental insurance in Canada, the dentist will bill the insurance company (assuming you have dental insurance) as much as they can and see what sticks, and end of year dentists will start sending out reminders, "reminder to maximize your insurance, so why not come in for an unnecessary cleaning because you have not used up 100% of your insurance for the year. Its insanity, pushing unnecessary procedures just to bill insurance companies more to maximize profit for the dental office.

I have no idea the true cost of flu shots here, the government doesn't really advertise how much they pay, but if not qualified for the freebie shot, the pharmacies private stock is usually around $30 to $40 CAD$ (23-30 US$)

Therapists and psychologists are the same, if they know you have insurance they want to bill more to maximize your insurance coverage.

I got creative in 2009 when in the US for a regular rx, I did have insurance but the deductible and co-pay was idiotically high so pretty worthless, but by joining the pharmacy's savings club for an annual fee of $200 I think it was, I would save up to 98%* of my prescriptions, that $200/yr took my RX from 1,200 a month to $28 and some change, worked out cheaper than using my insurance for prescriptions.

Generics at Wal-Mart and Target can often be cheaper cash price (maybe Costco too) than using insurance depending on your plan.

The 98% is made up as I can't recall what exact up to % number they were claiming it to be......

Some Americans who live along the Canadian border will cross to into Canada for basic GP needs, GP's are largely self employed, so most walk in clinics have a non-resident cash price, my GP office charged non-BC resident but resident of Canada $90 and US residents $122 CAD ($93 US)

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 24th 2020 at 6:39 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
They gotta inflate those prices for insurance, probably one reason why insurance is so expensive.
It depends what price the insurance company has negiotated with the provider. For example, my insurance was charged $19.99 for the flu vaccine by a large pharmacy chain. I paid $0 because ACA-compliant policies must cover it for free.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Generics at Wal-Mart and Target can often be cheaper cash price (maybe Costco too) than using insurance depending on your plan.
90 day supply of generics by mail order tend to be super cheap if you shop around for the best deal.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
It depends what price the insurance company has negiotated with the provider. For example, my insurance was charged $19.99 for the flu vaccine by a large pharmacy chain. I paid $0 because ACA-compliant policies must cover it for free.

90 day supply of generics by mail order tend to be super cheap if you shop around for the best deal.
Generics are the one shining light in US healthcare that actually tends to be cheaper than Canada, we have cheaper name brand generally, but our generics tend to cost more, of course varies depending on medication and there are exceptions, OTC drugs tend to cost more as well in Canada at least compared to California and WA the 2 states I am most familiar with.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One of the pharmacies I was on the wait list for a flu shot called yesterday saying they had a small amount in stock.....

I had to turn it down, but worst timing ever for me...

At this rate, I doubt I will end up getting one this year, supply has always been the issue.