Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

I got my first ever Flu shot yesterday! I was shopping at Costco and they were advertising $20 shots ("Free with most insurance"). Well my insurance utterly sucks so I decided I didn't even want to waste my time filling out the forms for the sake of $20 - I just filled out name/address/etc, paid $20, and did it. I was a bit uncomfortable going into the 'small back room' they used for the injection, but I was in and out in about 3 minutes and the guy who administered the shot was wearing two masks, so I figured I'd be OK. No after effects so far. I've never had a flu shot before because I've never had the flu that bad, and had heard that there could be some minor fever etc so figured 'why bother' ... but now with Covid I don't want to risk it (and I don't want to be perceived as an 'anti-vaxer' ). The shot I got was apparently a standard '4-strain' variety that everyone under 65 gets (over 65's get something 'extra'). Next, I need to drum up the courage to have the shingles shot!

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 25th 2020 at 1:32 pm. Reason: Snipped comments re Covid virus
Old Sep 25th 2020, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Wow only $20 thats a good price. They are like $40 ish CAD$ here unless your in a high risk group then its covered.

Ill probably get one this year to reduce my flu risk.

They dont appear to be available yet. Usually mid October they start showing up at pharmacies.

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
That was a nice reference - thanks! At first, I didn't realize their numbers were actually 7-day totals, not per-day averaged over 7 days! Once I figured that out, the numbers aligned with what I was seeing elsewhere. So my county in CA - Contra Costa - has seen 0.8 deaths in the past 7 days, per 100k people (SF is similar at 0.9). While Maricopa County in AZ has seen 2.4 deaths in the past 7 days per 100k people - THREE times as bad! I really do think these days we need to focus on the 'recent past' for most purposes. yes, it's good to know Italy had a bad time in March, NY had a really bad time in March, etc but what's happening now is more relevant. Only if, as you suggested, they literally lost all their vulnerable people would it have much effect on current numbers. I guess if there is one place in the world that could experience that, it would be NY but my instinct is not; they could STILL have another severe outbreak if they are not careful.

===============

In other news ... I got my first ever Flu shot yesterday! I was shopping at Costco and they were advertising $20 shots ("Free with most insurance"). Well my insurance utterly sucks so I decided I didn't even want to waste my time filling out the forms for the sake of $20 - I just filled out name/address/etc, paid $20, and did it. I was a bit uncomfortable going into the 'small back room' they used for the injection, but I was in and out in about 3 minutes and the guy who administered the shot was wearing two masks, so I figured I'd be OK. No after effects so far. I've never had a flu shot before because I've never had the flu that bad, and had heard that there could be some minor fever etc so figured 'why bother' ... but now with Covid I don't want to risk it (and I don't want to be perceived as an 'anti-vaxer' ). The shot I got was apparently a standard '4-strain' variety that everyone under 65 gets (over 65's get something 'extra'). Next, I need to drum up the courage to have the shingles shot!
Old Sep 25th 2020, 8:23 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

We get flu shots every year in the UK - free for over 65s and vulnerable people, £8 for everyone else from lots of places.

We go to the Morrison's pharmacy very near us.

OH got hers this week (she qualifies on age and vulnerability) me next week - under 65s have to wait.

I believe the 'mild fever' is a myth - it can't possibly do that. Some people might suffer a 'nocebo' effect, others may report a fever which is coincidental to the jab.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 9:01 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Here in spain you have to wait to be notified email or letter,you are told what day and what time to go to the village surgery.We qualifie on my vulnerability,If you have to buy one every pharmacia sell them over the counter the last time we bought one they were 6 euro and we jabed ourselves.We have not been notified yet.
I can remember in Spain seeing lots of oldies getting jabbed at the village medical centre - the throughput was astonishing - maybe one per minute.

In the UK you don't buy a vaccine at the pharmacy you are actually jabbed there.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 12:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
... I got my first ever Flu shot yesterday! I was shopping at Costco and they were advertising $20 shots ("Free with most insurance"). Well my insurance utterly sucks so I decided I didn't even want to waste my time filling out the forms for the sake of $20 - I just filled out name/address/etc, paid $20, and did it. I was a bit uncomfortable going into the 'small back room' they used for the injection, but I was in and out in about 3 minutes and the guy who administered the shot was wearing two masks, so I figured I'd be OK. No after effects so far. I've never had a flu shot before because I've never had the flu that bad, and had heard that there could be some minor fever etc so figured 'why bother' ... but now with Covid I don't want to risk it

My SD gets a painful arm for a couple of days, a couple of hours after she has it. When she starts complaining about it, I feel the site of mine and it hurts a tiny amount if I press it. So don't press it then.

We get ours at the doc's office. We're usually lined up along a narrow corridor. I wonder how that's going to work this year.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:02 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
We get flu shots every year in the UK - free for over 65s and vulnerable people, £8 for everyone else from lots of places.

OH got hers this week (she qualifies on age and vulnerability) me next week - under 65s have to wait.

I believe the 'mild fever' is a myth - it can't possibly do that. Some people might suffer a 'nocebo' effect, others may report a fever which is coincidental to the jab.
I never used to bother much with a flu shot unless I happened to be somewhere where they did them at a convenient time. Since we now have an immunocompromised person in the house, though, they've been an annual requirement for all of us. It does make for one of the more bizarre family outings we go on, but nobody's suffered any ill effects so far. Thinking of which, we haven't organized this year's yet, must do that!
Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
I never used to bother much with a flu shot unless I happened to be somewhere where they did them at a convenient time. Since we now have an immunocompromised person in the house, though, they've been an annual requirement for all of us. It does make for one of the more bizarre family outings we go on, but nobody's suffered any ill effects so far. Thinking of which, we haven't organized this year's yet, must do that!
I never used to bother much either, but then I got a job where they gave them out free and so I just got in the habit. There's zero benefit to getting the flu at the best of times, and getting covid and flu at the same time is definitely best avoided. I got mine at the pharmacy this year, under health insurance. And I got $5 off my actual shopping for doing so.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
...I got mine at the pharmacy this year, under health insurance. And I got $5 off my actual shopping for doing so.
It's great when that happens.
There was a period where the cost of our prescription drugs was paid by the Province because part of that cost was Remicade infusions for my wife at $7000 a time, every six weeks. Even wealthy people couldn't have afforded that.

For that period the Province also paid for diabetic supplies (test strips @ $90 a pack for example) and the Pharmacy we got them from had a loyalty card with regular promotions. If I timed the collection of these things just right, the extra loyalty points were worth about $50 for shopping there. It made a huge difference to us in just getting by.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu Shots (Moved from Coronovirus thread)

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
There was a period where the cost of our prescription drugs was paid by the Province because part of that cost was Remicade infusions for my wife at $7000 a time, every six weeks. Even wealthy people couldn't have afforded that.

For that period the Province also paid for diabetic supplies (test strips @ $90 a pack for example) and the Pharmacy we got them from had a loyalty card with regular promotions. If I timed the collection of these things just right, the extra loyalty points were worth about $50 for shopping there. It made a huge difference to us in just getting by.
Good, but it's just wrong that medicines should cost this much and leave people clipping coupons for life-saving supplies It's not a mark of a civilized country. The US can't seem to get past the "health care industry" mindset - too much profit motive among the health insurance companies and the drug companies and the medical personnel.

I hardly ever get any reaction to the flu shots, but this year I was really tired for two or three days. Still worth it though, by a long way.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

That used to be possible in BC too. Now no loyalty points on rx drugs.

Sobeys took the issue to court but the courts upheld the rule.

Old Sep 25th 2020, 2:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
That used to be possible in BC too. Now no loyalty points on rx drugs.

Sobeys took the issue to court but the courts upheld the rule.
We still get points on the prescriptions but never the promotion ones.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 2:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post

I get mine every year, the beefed-up one because of being over 65. Here, New York State, they’ve been advertising it for weeks. I’m waiting till October since the efficacy of it apparently wanes over the course of months.

I definitely get ill-effects from the shot, every year. “Mild fever” describes it well; that odd, tired, achy feeling you get, sometimes as a precursor to a real fever. I’ve never taken my temp to see if it is elevated, but this is not an imagined side-effect.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 2:36 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

We are getting ours the first week of October so we can have our pneumonia shot at the same time. Medicare covers pneumonia annually and M got his in October last year so the pharmacy told us to wait until October this year. This will be my first pneumonia shot now i am at the magical 65th year of my life!
Old Sep 25th 2020, 2:43 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=robin1234;12914330]I get mine every year, the beefed-up one because of being over 65. Here, New York State, they’ve been advertising it for weeks. I’m waiting till October since the efficacy of it apparently wanes over the course of months.

I definitely get ill-effects from the shot, every year. “Mild fever” describes it well; that odd, tired, achy feeling you get, sometimes as a precursor to a real fever. I’ve never taken my temp to see if it is elevated, but this is not an imagined side-effect.[/Qlifetime!

It is definitely not a myth. I spent about 14 years administrating flu shots and we often had people with quite sever local reactions at the shot site with red hot to touch swollen area for a few days and also some with the same symptoms you described.

The side effects have lessened a lot though from early days of flu shots which is a good thing. But even now with minor symptoms and discomfort it is well worth having. The real flu is certainly not something anyone needs to put up with especially this year!
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We still get points on the prescriptions but never the promotion ones.
The regulatory body for pharmacies in BC put a stop to it in 2016, seems other provinces do the same, so BC wasn't the first.

This is how the regulatory body views incentive programs for prescription drugs and pharmacy services.

Incentives, such as redeemable points, are unprofessional, unethical and unsafe as they negatively impact a patient's decision to fill a prescription and/or receive a pharmacy service.

My Wife always gets a few days of soreness and red around the injection site, the years I have gotten it, nothing, not even a sting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.