Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Enter the Wokeness

Enter the Wokeness

Old Sep 24th 2020, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter the Wokeness

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
This is what the scandal in US college actually is - donors and others effectively "buying" places and "legacy admissions". It amazes me this is tolerated in a country that likes to think it's equal opportunity for all:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ud-state-audit

"At Harvard, the acceptance rate for legacy students is about 33%, compared with an overall acceptance rate of under 6%. "

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...althier-whiter

There were some Canadian's wrapped up in the college admissions scandal.

Woman who resided in BC, tried to get her son into UCLA through bribery as a purported soccer recruit.

She was arrested in Spain, eventually pled guilty paid a fine and sentenced to time served in Spain.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...y-bc-1.5575159

This man from BC as well, former CFL player, and businessman he pled guilty in a plea bargain, sentenced to 90 days in jail, and a fine. He tried to lobby the US government via some connections in Canadian politics to serve his 90 days in Canada, but he didn't succeed, he is currently in Seattle area in a federal prison doing his 90 days.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ndal-1.5496788

Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
The K-12 proportions are interesting. The black proportion is far lower than I would have anticipated.
Indeed, blacks are not a major demographic, statistically speaking, in California ( 6.5% compared to 13.4% in the US as a whole). One does have to remember, though, that CA is so radically different between the coastal areas and the inland areas. Regardless, even on the coast, SF's black population is only 6.1%, LA County is 8.7%; San Diego 6.5%. Oakland has the highest percentage - 27.3%, and that's down from 46% in 1980. Oakland has an interesting mix - Black 27.3%; White 25.9%, Hispanic 25.4%, Asian 16.7%. That's one hell of a racially diverse city! San Francisco's white population is 'only' 45%, which is notable in that it is less than 50% white.

I couldn't make much sense of the K-12 discrepancy in the numbers. Why wouldn't K-12 numbers follow overall population, at least roughly. I guess immigrant arrival of post-school age people could account for it?
Old Sep 25th 2020, 9:44 am
Modern Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Indeed, blacks are not a major demographic, statistically speaking, in California ( 6.5% compared to 13.4% in the US as a whole). One does have to remember, though, that CA is so radically different between the coastal areas and the inland areas. Regardless, even on the coast, SF's black population is only 6.1%, LA County is 8.7%; San Diego 6.5%. Oakland has the highest percentage - 27.3%, and that's down from 46% in 1980. Oakland has an interesting mix - Black 27.3%; White 25.9%, Hispanic 25.4%, Asian 16.7%. That's one hell of a racially diverse city! San Francisco's white population is 'only' 45%, which is notable in that it is less than 50% white.

I couldn't make much sense of the K-12 discrepancy in the numbers. Why wouldn't K-12 numbers follow overall population, at least roughly. I guess immigrant arrival of post-school age people could account for it?
Yeah I tend to think of Oakland when I think of California black areas, and I assumed other cities would have significant (if not as large) populations. Perhaps the influx of Hispanic immigrants has shifted the mix. A drop from 46% to 27% is significant. On the K-12 discrepancy, it's probably immigration, and larger family sizes of younger (immigrant) families.

Old Sep 25th 2020, 11:27 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It was a dance FFS

And it had a very optimistic little message at the end. Some people just can't stand to see "things they don't like" on air or in print or on a screen at all.
So that went well then

Old Sep 25th 2020, 12:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It was a dance FFS

And it had a very optimistic little message at the end. Some people just can't stand to see "things they don't like" on air or in print or on a screen at all.
I can't believe I'm getting involved in this but to celebrate a drop in viewing figures over this strikes me as being pretty moronic. Not to mention wrongly attributing a reason.
Paulry's youtube video claims a loss of nearly one million. The Daily Mirror has it as 450,000 and the Daily Mail has 350,000 - interestingly the Mail describes it as "only a drop of 350,000 despite the backlash".

I took a look at viewing figures for past seasons. There are differences of between one million and two million routinely between the figures at the same stage of the competition.

So this fall in viewing figures was considerably smaller than in past years and appears to be an irrelevance.

But small things please small minds I suppose.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:19 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I'm having a hard time coming up with evidence. Maybe Giantaxe can assist as he seems to know more about this. My attempts to gather info on this tell me - prior to 1996, CA state universities (the University of California state system, in particular) had an 'affirmative action' enrollment program whose primary goal was to offer positive discrimination towards minorities (specifically at the time, Blacks and Latinos). The 'boost' for Blacks and Latinos obviously came at the expense of 'other groups' (since total enrollment did not change), who were primarily White and Asian. I believe (but can't substantiate right now with references) that the target was to have the enrollment 'numbers' mirror the demographics of the state. So if 10% of the state were black, then they wanted 10% of enrollment to be from the black community - etc. This approach negatively impacted the Asian community the most, because they had the highest academic achievement (and therefore enrollment, prior to the affirmative action plan).

In 1996, Proposition 209 passed, and this made affirmative action illegal. Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_C...roposition_209 .
Almost immediately, enrollment by Blacks fell, and enrollment by Asians increased.

The current state of enrollment is given in this article. The focus of the article is a current 'SAT' issue, not relevant to our discussion, but it just happens to provide one nice succinct paragraph stating the 'state of affairs' with references - https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...nic-enrollment
"And there is only one group that is far overrepresented in the UC system as a percentage of state population and K-12 enrollment, and it’s not whites. It’s Asian Americans, who have much better test scores and GPAs than any other race or ethnic group. And there is only one group that is far underrepresented: Hispanic Americans.According to a 2019 Census Bureau estimate and officialstate statistics from 2019, Asian Americans made up 15.3% of the state population and 9.3% of K-12 students but were 33.5% of UC’s total 226,125 undergraduate students. Hispanic Americans were 39.3% of the state population and 54.6% of K-12 students but made up 24.8% of UC undergrads. White Americans were 36.8% of the state population and 22.9% of K-12 students but made up 21.4% of UC undergrads. African Americans were 6.5% of the state population and 5.4% of K-12 students but made up 4.1% of UC undergrads"

There is a new proposition on the 2020 ballot to reinstate affirmative action - Prop 16 (reference: https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...mendment_(2020) ).

It has to be noted that by 'allowing' affirmative action, the actions must still comply with Federal law, which only allows for very limited affirmative actions (and will likely be eroded further by a more conservative Supreme Court).

Currently, while affirmative action is not allowed based on race or gender, there are some programs in place to give preference to two categories:
1) 'first generation' applicants - that is, people from families that have never attended university before, and
2) low income applicants.
However, I'm not finding anything definitive on how exactly they implement this policy, beyond a range of 'assistance' initiatives.
Thanks for taking time to look at it in more detail and respond. That's more in line with what I expected to be the case.

I think it would be rather disturbing if it was as first stated, ie a quota or cap on numbers according to specific ethnic origins applied to "home" students. I can see how affirmative actions might well be justified if particular groups (of any nature) are shown to be under-represented in terms of the general population, although that doesn't necessarily have to come at the expense of any other group, depending on how it's achieved.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:43 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
So that went well then

https://youtu.be/1T4xjeyMHWk
I can't find any evidence of racism in the UK, can you? Oh Paulry just found some, thanks Paulry.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So that went well then
Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I can't find any evidence of racism in the UK, can you? Oh Paulry just found some, thanks Paulry.
It was thoughtful of him to point it out, wasn't it. He's coming along nicely.

He's also revealed how many snowflakes there are in the UK - thousands of people unable to tolerate a dance performance that contains, among other things, a reference to a social movement, even with a call for a better future where such movements are not necessary at the end of it. True woke snowflakes, right there. Good work Paulry - you're really getting it now.

Old Sep 25th 2020, 2:09 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It was thoughtful of him to point it out, wasn't it. He's coming along nicely.

He's also revealed how many snowflakes there are in the UK - thousands of people unable to tolerate a dance performance that contains, among other things, a reference to a social movement, even with a call for a better future where such movements are not necessary at the end of it. True woke snowflakes, right there. Good work Paulry - you're really getting it now.
I hope he appreciates all the Marxists training he has been receiving.

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 25th 2020 at 2:18 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 2:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I hope he appreciates all the Marxists training he ha been receiving.
He's the Marxist 5th column of Australia. He should have a badge.

Old Sep 25th 2020, 2:29 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

So that went well then

https://youtu.be/1T4xjeyMHWk
It seems BGT lost fewer viewers than it usually does around this time in it's season... So yes, it appears to be doing well...
Old Sep 25th 2020, 3:45 pm
Modern Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't watched the BGT video as I don't watch shows like BGT, but from what I can glean from odd comments here and there, it's black victimhood propoganda. Perhaps we could get Kim Kardashian or Meghan Markle to educate us on how beastly society has become?

On a more constructive note, in a recent podcast US academic John McWhorter suggestes three things that would significantly improve the trajectory for black Americans.

1. Dismantling the US War on Drugs policy
2. Teaching disadvantaged black children to read well (apparently a huge issue, and one which prevents kid from advancing even moderately)
3. Providing free long term contraception to low income women to facilitate family planning (apparently many young pregnancies are unplanned and have major social impact).

I wouldn't have any objection to dance troupe doing a performance about getting children to read. Equally protests against the War on Drugs or for better social policy would be purposeful. Unfortunately, it's far more glamorous to create false demons and aggressively demand power.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:33 pm
He/him

Replying to a post, but not addressing the poster directly as I am addressing a general issue the post raises.

There are many examples of "I cant support this protest, because they are not protesting right"
"If only they protested about drugs policy, I'd be right behind them", of course as soon as they did that, then the complainers would shift the goal posts as they have done for decades.
The opposition to the drugs policy has been high profile for decades, and largely ignored, but now all of a sudden, it wasn't shouted about loud enough. There would also seem to be a direct correlation between the war on drugs and over policing of some communities, one thing does lead to another, they are not mutually exclusive.

You just know that if the item du jour became the war on drugs, people would start asking "why aren't they complaining about policing?, its the policing that is important"

Edit: not to mention the campaign against family planning, from highest government down to lone terrorism.

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 25th 2020 at 4:41 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Haven't watched the BGT video as I don't watch shows like BGT, but from what I can glean from odd comments here and there, it's black victimhood propoganda. Perhaps we could get Kim Kardashian or Meghan Markle to educate us on how beastly society has become?

On a more constructive note, in a recent podcast US academic John McWhorter suggestes three things that would significantly improve the trajectory for black Americans.

1. Dismantling the US War on Drugs policy
2. Teaching disadvantaged black children to read well (apparently a huge issue, and one which prevents kid from advancing even moderately)
3. Providing free long term contraception to low income women to facilitate family planning (apparently many young pregnancies are unplanned and have major social impact).

I wouldn't have any objection to dance troupe doing a performance about getting children to read. Equally protests against the War on Drugs or for better social policy would be purposeful. Unfortunately, it's far more glamorous to create false demons and aggressively demand power.

Suggest actually watching it. And listening to it. Before coming to such conclusions. Unless you disagree that slavery is a fact, and that police violence is a fact in the US, and unless you think that fear, hate and ignorance are not operating in our culture, I don't see how you could describe the "demons" as false. Nor do I see a demand for power here. Nor do I see victimhood - I see hope.

And at the end of the day, it's performance art. Some people just don't like to see things on stage that don't reflect their ideology, which to me makes it all the more important that they be shown.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Sep 25th 2020 at 4:39 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:32 pm

Additional question:

Should this performance about rights for gay people not have been produced? Is this victimhood? Is it "wokeness"? What, if any, is the difference between this and the BGT performance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.