Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Enter the Wokeness

Enter the Wokeness

Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:30 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter the Wokeness

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Excellent stuff and there are many similar videos on YouTube, what intrigues me is how all this all arose, history is a great teacher and this is hardly something new.
Yes Pinker is really great with cultural history, on top of his day job in linguistics. Have you read any of his books?
Old Jul 11th 2020, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Yes Pinker is really great with cultural history, on top of his day job in linguistics. Have you read any of his books?
I have not, I think I need to.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

A good and oh so true explanation:

.....No doubt LIW will be along in a minute to tell us we're wading in filth
Old Jul 11th 2020, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Jonathan Pie has yet again really nailed it, so listen up all you "perma-offended woke twats"

Old Jul 11th 2020, 7:58 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I have not, I think I need to.
It's a long, with many charts, but "Better Angels of our Nature" is quite an uplifting book. It makes the case that, contrary to the diet of doom we are fed by the media, the world and the species is actually in good shape and continuing to progress. If you don't feel like reading, there will be many YouTube videos about where he discusses the book and its central themes.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 8:08 am
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
A good and oh so true explanation:
https://youtu.be/O4GKbpcQ_FY

.....No doubt LIW will be along in a minute to tell us we're wading in filth
​​​​​​
Big fan of Pinker, as he's a intellectual ...but not of J Pie as he's just an internet blowhard. In my opinion, of course !

Old Jul 12th 2020, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

The spectre of censorship and intolerance stalks today’s left

Nick Cohen

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ks-todays-left
Old Jul 12th 2020, 5:16 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Nick Cohen

Another silent link dump.

Can you give some context or view as to why you have posted this please? Bit hard to follow up otherwise. I'd rather talk with another poster than comment on their silent expression.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 12:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Nick Cohen

How appropriate that Boiler posts a link to an article that includes the line about "the motives of those who scour the web to find evidence of the sins of others"
Old Jul 12th 2020, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nick Cohen

Nick Cohen appears to have woken up and realised that the bigotry of the postmodern left makes them worse than the right.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 6:44 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Nick Cohen appears to have woken up and realised that the bigotry of the postmodern left makes them worse than the right.
You're obviously not that familiar with the thoughts of Mr Cohen, who has regularly been disseminating them in that organ you love to hate.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They have a lot in common, much more than they have with those of us in the middle.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:30 am
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Another silent link dump.

Can you give some context or view as to why you have posted this please? Bit hard to follow up otherwise. I'd rather talk with another poster than comment on their silent expression.
I agree. Also, I like Bristol's habit of taking an illustrative quote from the linked article, and posting it in case we don't wish to delve into the article itself.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
I agree. Also, I like Bristol's habit of taking an illustrative quote from the linked article, and posting it in case we don't wish to delve into the article itself.
I should get a medal.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:36 am
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I should get a medal.
It would go well with your beret.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.