Maybe
0%
No, absolutely not
52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Dogpiling

Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:40 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogpiling

As someone who's clearly more conservative than most people who frequent this board (and not an expat), I'd say there is a conformity of opinion here on political issues. Some threads seem to me to be a one-sided echo chamber of people agreeing with each other. Still, people here are generally respectful and consider what other people are saying. People only really attack absurd or unworthy ideas. I certainly don't see the number of childish personal attacks, straw men, small-mindedness and general viciousness around reasonable differences in opinion I see in something like Reddit. Low bar, I know. God I hate Reddit.

The internet in general is rife with self-righteousness and knee-jerk reactions from across the political spectrum, this place does a better job than most in tamping that down. It's why I stick around here. Also, I appreciate the views of expats as they generally have a broader experience than most.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 6:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
As someone who's clearly more conservative than most people who frequent this board (and not an expat), I'd say there is a conformity of opinion here on political issues. Some threads seem to me to be a one-sided echo chamber of people agreeing with each other. Still, people here are generally respectful and consider what other people are saying. People only really attack absurd or unworthy ideas. I certainly don't see the number of childish personal attacks, straw men, small-mindedness and general viciousness around reasonable differences in opinion I see in something like Reddit. Low bar, I know. God I hate Reddit.

The internet in general is rife with self-righteousness and knee-jerk reactions from across the political spectrum, this place does a better job than most in tamping that down. It's why I stick around here. Also, I appreciate the views of expats as they generally have a broader experience than most.

So in general, we are all just people. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree, sometimes there is a clear majority opinion that a majority expound/defend. Personally, I resist the development of pet names for things because they start to take on a life of their own and determine the terms of the argument. I would say that "echo chamber" is one of those terms - it has a negative connotation, yet on an open discussion board all that's really happening in those instances is that on any given question most people on the thread have broadly similar standpoints. A perfectly natural, non-sinister, and valid phenomenon. Pet names make it an "issue" where there really isn't one - everyone is free to express their views, and everyone is free to respond. I'm not having a dig, just using "echo chamber" as an example. "Dogpiling" is another such term. Because now we are all discussing whether we do it or not, rather than questioning whether "dogpiling" is really even a thing or not.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 6:28 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Personally, I resist the development of pet names for things because they start to take on a life of their own and determine the terms of the argument.
Totally agree with this. Words are important and dehuminization is too easy.
I would say that "echo chamber" is one of those terms - it has a negative connotation, yet on an open discussion board all that's really happening in those instances is that on any given question most people on the thread have broadly similar standpoints. A perfectly natural, non-sinister, and valid phenomenon. Pet names make it an "issue" where there really isn't one - everyone is free to express their views, and everyone is free to respond. I'm not having a dig, just using "echo chamber" as an example. "Dogpiling" is another such term. Because now we are all discussing whether we do it or not, rather than questioning whether "dogpiling" is really even a thing or not.
Fair enough. From my perspective, I do perceive a fair number of threads here with like-minded people consistently agreeing with each other. This leads to some conformity here, although less so than other places I've seen on the internet. Let's leave it at that.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 6:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Totally agree with this. Words are important and dehuminization is too easy. Fair enough. From my perspective, I do perceive a fair number of threads here with like-minded people consistently agreeing with each other. This leads to some conformity here, although less so than other places I've seen on the internet. Let's leave it at that.

I'll drink to that.

(Have we now formed our own little echo chamber of two? )
Old Feb 17th 2021, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
So in general, we are all just people. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree, sometimes there is a clear majority opinion that a majority expound/defend. Personally, I resist the development of pet names for things because they start to take on a life of their own and determine the terms of the argument. I would say that "echo chamber" is one of those terms - it has a negative connotation, yet on an open discussion board all that's really happening in those instances is that on any given question most people on the thread have broadly similar standpoints. A perfectly natural, non-sinister, and valid phenomenon. Pet names make it an "issue" where there really isn't one - everyone is free to express their views, and everyone is free to respond. I'm not having a dig, just using "echo chamber" as an example. "Dogpiling" is another such term. Because now we are all discussing whether we do it or not, rather than questioning whether "dogpiling" is really even a thing or not.
We are not really a diverse set of individuals here. The opinion in the echo chamber can be wrong but within this board we think it's right: that gives rise to dogpiling.

The op's question was if dogpiling exists here or not, not if it's a thing or not.

Old Feb 17th 2021, 7:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
We are not really a diverse set of individuals here.
Well most of us are Brits but we can be (and are) diverse within that.
The opinion in the echo chamber can be wrong but within this board we think it's right: that gives rise to dogpiling.
That's bizarre logic.
The op's question was if dogpiling exists here or not, not if it's a thing or not.
Well if it's not considered 'a thing' how can it exist? It looks like you are making it 'a thing' therefore it exists.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 7:29 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

I know I am.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
We are not really a diverse set of individuals here. The opinion in the echo chamber can be wrong but within this board we think it's right: that gives rise to dogpiling.

Always question the terms of the discussion, Grasshopper.

Discussing whether or not something happens without being clear whether or not the thing even exists in the first place doesn't make a lot of sense. Not only that, questioning the terms of the discussion helps prevent propaganda from taking hold, because it enables us to frame our own thinking for ourselves, rather than accept someone else's.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 17th 2021 at 7:56 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

I know I am.
I am diverse as the next person, if not more so.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 8:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

I know I am.
I'm not.

/voice at the back
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:36 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. I think I have a handle on the silly catch word.

BE is full of people with minds of their own . Mostly we are British and so perhaps tend to overall share the same types of views on certain issues. Even if we do not , then it does seem to me that everyone puts forward their ideas, opinions and thoughts in their own way. In all the years I modded and admin'd for BE I believe I did not see 'dogpiling'. Anyway , anything evolving like a lynch party seemingly targeting one poster who was not trolling or up to other types of similar shenanigans, but simply posting reasonably, would have been discussed by the mod squad and then cleared up either at the point of issue or , more likely, quietly behind closed doors.

BE is not and has never been a free for all where posters get to lynch and bully if that is their bent. Site Rule 1 takes a care of that. Reporting probs also helps highlight bother. There is no issue to be had here. Nothing to see.

I hope that helps the OP a little.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:40 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if I had just spotted two completely separate inane posts back to back on the same thread (which I have just this evening, as it happens) linked by theme (and arguably common ignorance), and I were then to 'mock' said posters, would that be construed as Dogpiling?

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Feb 17th 2021 at 10:49 pm. Reason: Changed 'stupidity' for 'ignorance'.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 11:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I'm wondering if I had just spotted two completely separate inane posts back to back on the same thread (which I have just this evening, as it happens) linked by theme (and arguably common ignorance), and I were then to 'mock' said posters, would that be construed as Dogpiling?
I don't think one person can dogpile, especially if they are outnumbered.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 11:59 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think one person can dogpile, especially if they are outnumbered.
You are Michael Gove, and I claim my €5.75.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 12:34 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised that some consider the views here to be heterogenous, to any degree, as I see quite the spectrum. Perhaps what they are talking about is the broad left against the broad right, which I do see, and when that is happening, as it has done over the last four years, I do see myself aligned with people whom I would normally consider to be on the soft right, .and not my politics at all. other than against, extremes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.