Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Derek Chauvin trial

Derek Chauvin trial

Old Mar 30th 2021, 1:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Derek Chauvin trial

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
Man was massively doped up, wasn't he? Stuffing down drugs just before his arrest?
I don't know, but even if he was, what's that got to do with kneeling an a restrained man's neck for over 9 minutes while he says he can't breathe, cries out for help, then has seizures and falls unconscious?
Old Mar 30th 2021, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I don't know, but even if he was, what's that got to do with kneeling an a restrained man's neck for over 9 minutes while he says he can't breathe, cries out for help, then has seizures and falls unconscious?
Everything. As we will probably find out in the trial.

The difficulty for many is separating facts from emotions and the stories spun from emotions rather than facts.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 1:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Man was massively doped up, wasn't he? Stuffing down drugs just before his arrest?
That certainly seems to be what Chauvin’s defence is relying on - they don’t have much else.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 1:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Everything. As we will probably find out in the trial.

The difficulty for many is separating facts from emotions and the stories spun from emotions rather than facts.
The facts are that George Floyd was already restrained by being handcuffed and then by two other officers kneeling on his legs, when Chauvin decided that kneeling on his neck and restricting his airway for over 9 minutes was the right and necessary thing to do.

Old Mar 30th 2021, 1:51 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
That certainly seems to be what Chauvin’s defence is relying on - they don’t have much else.
As JS pointed out they'll also go for the reasonable use of force argument. That's probably the real issue here, whether American cops should be using such aggressive (and dangerous) procedures with suspects, but if he's been trained to use such a procedure, and the circumstances warrant it, then reasonable doubt might be established. The defense will have to have some explanation as to why a handcuffed man could not be left sitting beside the car (if not actually in the car). Particularly as there were four officers present.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 3:14 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
There is video of the cops trying to get him into the car...he resisted.
I haven't seen that one. But is that still a reason to block someone's airway at all, let alone 9 minutes?

If he was doped up, would he have died from that had he not had his airway blocked by Chauvin's knee for 9 minutes?

Has it been proven he was doped up, or are these just claims being thrown about to discredit someone who died, in an attempt to make people less sympathetic to him?
Old Mar 30th 2021, 3:31 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I haven't seen that one. But is that still a reason to block someone's airway at all, let alone 9 minutes?

If he was doped up, would he have died from that had he not had his airway blocked by Chauvin's knee for 9 minutes?

Has it been proven he was doped up, or are these just claims being thrown about to discredit someone who died, in an attempt to make people less sympathetic to him?
Probably a good idea to watch some of the video and listening to some of the testimony before forming conclusions. Its a four weeks trial and the facts are now being established.

There is some raw bodycam footage on YouTube. It's clear he was freaking out once they tried to put him in the squad car. Whether this was a ploy or a psychological reaction or a drug state is hard to know. Certainly the cops do not seem to give him the benefit of doubt.

Last edited by Shard; Mar 30th 2021 at 3:39 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
No it is not. I was just stating that the cops had tried to get him in the back of the car but he resisted. Sad because had he complied, he most probably would not have died that day.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 4:33 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Drunk? On Drugs? Resisting arrest? That describes everybody that gets arrested on a Saturday night in Dallas. I guess they should start slaughtering them all in the street instead of arresting them. Oh, that's right, Dallas actually has protocols in place to keep the hiring of psychopaths to a minimum.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 5:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Drunk? On Drugs? Resisting arrest? That describes everybody that gets arrested on a Saturday night in Dallas. I guess they should start slaughtering them all in the street instead of arresting them. Oh, that's right, Dallas actually has protocols in place to keep the hiring of psychopaths to a minimum.
Yup non of those things warrant what happened to him. My point was had he not resisted getting into the car, he would not have finished up on the ground, with the cop kneeling on his neck. Of course it’s OK for me to say because I am white, but if a cop tried to arrest me I would comply with instructions. I can only try to understand how frightening it must be for a black person to be arrested
Old Mar 30th 2021, 5:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Being "doped up" is not a reason or justification for being dead at the hands of a police officer or anyone else. No lives were in danger other than that of the man being arrested.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 6:09 pm
F.orum Ape

Yup non of those things warrant what happened to him. My point was had he not resisted getting into the car, he would not have finished up on the ground, with the cop kneeling on his neck. Of course it’s OK for me to say because I am white, but if a cop tried to arrest me I would comply with instructions. I can only try to understand how frightening it must be for a black person to be arrested
He was definitely spooked about going into the car. I think whether that was because of drugs or not is an interesting point, but at the end of the day they chose to pin him to the ground rather than defuse his anxiety.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 6:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Everything. .
I think what DXB is trying to say lies somewhere in the realm of 'asking for trouble' or something like that. In a Constable Savage sort of way.

Old Mar 30th 2021, 7:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
but at the end of the day they chose to pin him to the ground rather than defuse his anxiety.

This.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 8:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree. You are just stating the obvious. My remark, and anger, is directed at the defense and all of the people who are jumping on the bandwagon. Somebody on this thread said something about him stuffing drugs down his mouth right before being arrested. Even if that was true, WGAF? The police are rarely in the situation of arresting polite, compliant, law-abiding citizens. It is almost always the case that they will be arresting drunk, high, mentally-ill, belligerent people with a bad attitude. That is why the police are allowed to use physical force to overpower suspects. Any cop who can't use his resources without committing murder, shouldn't be a cop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.