British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Deprivation and poverty... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/deprivation-poverty-935937/)

el collado kid Dec 18th 2020 1:09 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12947493)
You've lost me.

What's left wing in what I posted? And who's gullible?

Shirley you know who's gullible my old red he was in gullible's travels:hysterical:

Red Eric Dec 18th 2020 1:37 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12947564)
Shirley you know who's gullible my old red he was in gullible's travels:hysterical:

Steady on, old chap.

Mention of such seditious works might bring on another apoplexy.

stevenglish1 Dec 18th 2020 8:55 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12947505)
Except the UK isn't a poor country. It's a rich country that distributes its wealth badly.

and it's by design too. They get to shirk their responsibility and get decent charitable people to take up the slack, it's the same reason they get away with paying nurses, teachers and other "vocational" roles a pittance. It's like a game of brinkmanship where the loser is the one that cares more and actually has ethics. Let's face it neither of our governments is clambering to help the needy out.
We in Australia are being urged to breed so we have the numbers to rebuild post covid, but my gut feeling is that they want to keep the balance of power out of the hands of the workers. Cheers for this thread Lion, you've gone and triggered me 不不

Jsmth321 Dec 18th 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12947719)
and it's by design too. They get to shirk their responsibility and get decent charitable people to take up the slack, it's the same reason they get away with paying nurses, teachers and other "vocational" roles a pittance. It's like a game of brinkmanship where the loser is the one that cares more and actually has ethics. Let's face it neither of our governments is clambering to help the needy out.
We in Australia are being urged to breed so we have the numbers to rebuild post covid, but my gut feeling is that they want to keep the balance of power out of the hands of the workers. Cheers for this thread Lion, you've gone and triggered me 不不

I am surprised to hear teachers and nurses are not paid well in the UK, both are paid fairly well in Canada, but I don't know what the educational requirements are in the UK, both teachers and nurses in Canada have university degrees (well for RN's, LPN's in BC only need a 2 year diploma and are paid less since they have less education.) but even a practical nurse makes pretty decent money.








stevenglish1 Dec 18th 2020 10:39 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12947723)
I am surprised to hear teachers and nurses are not paid well in the UK, both are paid fairly well in Canada, but I don't know what the educational requirements are in the UK, both teachers and nurses in Canada have university degrees (well for RN's, LPN's in BC only need a 2 year diploma and are paid less since they have less education.) but even a practical nurse makes pretty decent money.

my wife is a fully diploma qualified pre school educational leader (1 step down from teacher) and she's on a touch over minimum wage, getting her degree would get her a 2 dollar pay rise. She'd get more for stacking shelves. Our government uses our conscience as a stick to beat us with, and that's how they get away with turning their back on those living in poverty. It makes me so wild, you can probably tell haha

Jsmth321 Dec 18th 2020 11:43 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12947773)
my wife is a fully diploma qualified pre school educational leader (1 step down from teacher) and she's on a touch over minimum wage, getting her degree would get her a 2 dollar pay rise. She'd get more for stacking shelves. Our government uses our conscience as a stick to beat us with, and that's how they get away with turning their back on those living in poverty. It makes me so wild, you can probably tell haha

Looks like its $49,131 to $92,978 depending on where the teacher is in their career.

Now support staff like educational assistants and early childhood education wages there can really suck, but its not too bad for actual certified teachers, the starting is a tiny bit low I guess, but overall doesn't seem bad.




KJMW Dec 19th 2020 5:37 am

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12947719)
and it's by design too. They get to shirk their responsibility and get decent charitable people to take up the slack, it's the same reason they get away with paying nurses, teachers and other "vocational" roles a pittance. It's like a game of brinkmanship where the loser is the one that cares more and actually has ethics. Let's face it neither of our governments is clambering to help the needy out.
We in Australia are being urged to breed so we have the numbers to rebuild post covid, but my gut feeling is that they want to keep the balance of power out of the hands of the workers. Cheers for this thread Lion, you've gone and triggered me 不不


The usual claptrap from the left about 'hungry' children' The problem in Britain is children and obesity. People here haven't a clue!

stevenglish1 Dec 19th 2020 6:19 am

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12947802)
The usual claptrap from the left about 'hungry' children' The problem in Britain is children and obesity. People here haven't a clue!

ah you're one of those. I've seen a fat kid so poverty doesn't exist, you're right some people haven't got a clue

Red Eric Dec 19th 2020 6:49 am

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12947802)
The usual claptrap from the left about 'hungry' children' The problem in Britain is children and obesity. People here haven't a clue!

What has it got to do with "the left"?

Do you think nobody else has any concerns about child poverty?

KJMW Dec 19th 2020 6:49 am

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12947805)
ah you're one of those. I've seen a fat kid so poverty doesn't exist, you're right some people haven't got a clue

Absolutely spot on, some just don't have a clue! In fact most get their 'facts' from the press and then bang on about something they know nothing about.I wonder how many hungry and starving kids they have seen in London? Not having a clue is the nicest thing to say about those sort of people!


Red Eric Dec 19th 2020 6:52 am

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12947809)
Absolutely spot on, some just don't have a clue! In fact most get their 'facts' from the press and then bang on about something they know nothing about.I wonder how many hungry and starving kids they have seen in London? Not having a clue is the nicest thing to say about those sort of people!

Which facts about the Unicef funds and Jacob Rees-Mogg's comments and the responses would you say have been misreported?

stevenglish1 Dec 19th 2020 7:15 am

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12947809)
Absolutely spot on, some just don't have a clue! In fact most get their 'facts' from the press and then bang on about something they know nothing about.I wonder how many hungry and starving kids they have seen in London? Not having a clue is the nicest thing to say about those sort of people!

I was being sarcastic, let's just be clear on that. I would say that the person who thinks poverty doesn't exist because they saw a fat kid is the one that needs to learn more.

Lion in Winter Dec 19th 2020 1:32 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12947719)
and it's by design too. They get to shirk their responsibility and get decent charitable people to take up the slack, it's the same reason they get away with paying nurses, teachers and other "vocational" roles a pittance. It's like a game of brinkmanship where the loser is the one that cares more and actually has ethics. Let's face it neither of our governments is clambering to help the needy out.
We in Australia are being urged to breed so we have the numbers to rebuild post covid, but my gut feeling is that they want to keep the balance of power out of the hands of the workers. Cheers for this thread Lion, you've gone and triggered me 不不


Sorry about that:lol:

But yeah, it is wrong and it isn't inevitable and it isn't an accident. And it's an embarrassment. The post-WWII government of a bankrupted, broken UK did better than this.

BristolUK Dec 19th 2020 1:43 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12947492)
More left wing nonsense lapped up by gullible people. Rees-Mogg was right in what he said.


Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12947802)
The usual claptrap from the left about 'hungry' children' The problem in Britain is children and obesity. People here haven't a clue!

May I remind you of something you posted the other day?

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12947057)
There is nothing wrong with making suggestions or having opinions. I would be the first to support that right. Giving an opinion is fine, just make sure that's what it is, not state some nonsense as if it is fact!


Dreamy Dec 19th 2020 8:27 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12947805)
ah you're one of those. I've seen a fat kid so poverty doesn't exist, you're right some people haven't got a clue

And of course, obese children living in poverty are probably malnourished too.

Someone (BristolUK perhaps?) posted a list of a food allowance from a food bank. I had been going to run it through a nutritional analysis program, but it was a bit meaningless as there weren't weights/amounts given. But just looking at it you could see that it was deficient in minerals, vitamins and probably protein, as well as unsaturated fats.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:21 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 穢 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.