Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Deprivation and poverty...

Deprivation and poverty...

Old Dec 10th 2020, 5:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Deprivation and poverty...

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Seems like an opportunity to post an old favourite. On a plate
That too.

Even if you take classic "negative behaviours", people are judged differently. If the old Etonian does coke, he's just a bit of a rogue and a bad boy. If a poor person does it, they are a wastrel drug addict and deserve everything they get. If Johnson lies at or for work, he's just a "character". If a poor person lies at work they get fired and/or it's used as a reason to explain why they wasted their opportunity. If Boris has adulterous affairs, or a child with someone to whom he is not married, he's just a bit of a lad. But a poor parent shouldn't have had so many children and a poor single parent has moral failings and brought his/her situation on him/herself. Etc etc etc.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That too.

Even if you take classic "negative behaviours", people are judged differently. If the old Etonian does coke, he's just a bit of a rogue and a bad boy. If a poor person does it, they are a wastrel drug addict and deserve everything they get. If Johnson lies at or for work, he's just a "character". If a poor person lies at work they get fired and/or it's used as a reason to explain why they wasted their opportunity. If Boris has adulterous affairs, or a child with someone to whom he is not married, he's just a bit of a lad. But a poor parent shouldn't have had so many children and a poor single parent has moral failings and brought his/her situation on him/herself. Etc etc etc.

Your so right, and many will still deny this type of thing happens even though it's pretty much out in the open for all to see everyday.

Old Dec 10th 2020, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Seems like an opportunity to post an old favourite. On a plate
That comic could be adapted for more than just education and careers as well, same privilege applies.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 3:05 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

On the interplay of deprivation and deaths from Covid.

Not a pretty picture.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...c-health-chief
Old Dec 16th 2020, 10:02 pm
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I know that objectively speaking we know this is happening, but we push it away. I've been given many first-hand accounts recently due to my current work with a charity, but I watched the video in the linked article this morning and it just made me even angrier. Angry with the government that has provoked this, with the smug, fat Johnson now at the helm and babbling about sunlit uplands, and at our repeated failure to do any better and blaming people for their own misfortunes. And100,000 young people a year now emerge from 15 years of education without even 5 decent gcses to their name. What will happen to them and the places where they live? Large numbers of people go hungry every day. How are we not only still tolerating this, but excusing it?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-55133081

If you are feeling very down at the moment, you might not want to watch the video.

We have to do better. It's shameful.
We have a charity called the Smith Foundation in Aus, they advertise on the TV how I should sponsor one of the million Aussie kids living in poverty and unable to buy adequate school supplies etc. I sponsor a lad in the Philippines, and donate to a charity for terminally ill kids, but I refuse to donate to the Smith Foundation. It's not because I disagree with their purpose, very far from it. It's because it's a government function, which they're off loading onto people that already pay their taxes in order to benefit the wider community. We're a country of 25 million people, 1 million kids living in poverty and the government absolves itself of responsibility, too right we need to do better, our government should hang its head in shame. We hear the phrase charity begins at home, but in my opinion, by and large in a 1st world developed country, there should be no need for domestic charity at all, certainly not on a national level. We need governments that give a ****, not just virtue signal how caring they are.

As developed countries I firmly believe we're obliged to help developing nations, but all the while we're incapable of solving our own homeless / poverty issues, the charity begins at home brigade sadly have valid points.

Last edited by stevenglish1; Dec 16th 2020 at 10:21 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a Government responsibility, I suppose if the children are taken into care then it is or are the rules in Australia different?

My nearest neighbour ended up taking over the Grandchildren, both Parents Drug Addicts, I can think of one other, well I also know the Grandparents where both the Parents are on Meths, now they do not have control yet but can see it happen. Or should the Government take over?

And if it is a Government responsibility as a matter of commonality then presumably it is also in PI.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Unicef to feed hungry children in UK for first time in 70-year history
Unicef has launched a domestic emergency response in the UK for the first time in its more than 70-year history to help feed children hit by the Covid-19 crisis
Old Dec 16th 2020, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

70 years ago there was rationing in the UK and I was told it was far worse then than during the war.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
We have a charity called the Smith Foundation in Aus, they advertise on the TV how I should sponsor one of the million Aussie kids living in poverty and unable to buy adequate school supplies etc. I sponsor a lad in the Philippines, and donate to a charity for terminally ill kids, but I refuse to donate to the Smith Foundation. It's not because I disagree with their purpose, very far from it. It's because it's a government function, which they're off loading onto people that already pay their taxes in order to benefit the wider community. We're a country of 25 million people, 1 million kids living in poverty and the government absolves itself of responsibility, too right we need to do better, our government should hang its head in shame. We hear the phrase charity begins at home, but in my opinion, by and large in a 1st world developed country, there should be no need for domestic charity at all, certainly not on a national level. We need governments that give a ****, not just virtue signal how caring they are.

As developed countries I firmly believe we're obliged to help developing nations, but all the while we're incapable of solving our own homeless / poverty issues, the charity begins at home brigade sadly have valid points.
Agreed, but as you say it shouldn't be a matter of charity. It's a matter of organizing one's society and its resources better, and more fairly - in theory, there would then be enough for everybody to have a decent standard of living with plenty left over to assist poorer countries to stop being poor. Charity might be necessary for unusual and unanticipated one-offs, such as a fire, but not to meet the basic needs of a society. The last 10 years or so, so much of the UK's social safety net have just been taken apart, and it's really biting. Kids aren't getting themselves excluded from school to work county lines for no reason, nor sticking knives into each other.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Dec 17th 2020 at 12:33 am.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:00 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deprivation and poverty...

That made Rees-Mogg choke on his caviar.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:33 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
That made Rees-Mogg choke on his caviar.
More left wing nonsense lapped up by gullible people. Rees-Mogg was right in what he said.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:39 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You've lost me.

What's left wing in what I posted? And who's gullible?
Old Dec 18th 2020, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the EU statistics about hungry children will show some improvement now. Sadly, it is not because fewer children are living with food insecurity but because a poor country leaves the EU. I feel genuinely sorry for those children because they will not receive much help from their government. And sadly the EU can't help anymore.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
You've lost me.

What's left wing in what I posted? And who's gullible?
Was it the caviar? It's not normally considered left wing, but I suppose Rees Mogg could have been lapping it up although I think you are supposed to use a silver spoon.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
I guess the EU statistics about hungry children will show some improvement now. Sadly, it is not because fewer children are living with food insecurity but because a poor country leaves the EU. I feel genuinely sorry for those children because they will not receive much help from their government. And sadly the EU can't help anymore.
Except the UK isn't a poor country. It's a rich country that distributes its wealth badly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.